OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Woke up at 2am and could not get back to sleep so I did a little more tinkering on my rear seat delete. I really dislike how the roll on herculiner came on on the tops vs spray on liner which I did for the framing. I am about to head to the Home Derpot to get some new tops and re-do them using the spray liner.

100_0025.JPG

100_0026.JPG

100_0027.JPG

100_0028.JPG

100_0029.JPG
Little more work, new tops under way. Started adding trim to hide where bits and pieces come together. Still plenty to do.

This version I added two gas struts (22lbs each) so the hinges and frame won't be absorbing the upward force at an angle. I positioned them so it will stay open on its own mid way if you guide and stop it there, but after an initial manual lift if you let it go, it will go almost completely vertical.

Not sure if I will go camlocks on these tops like last ones, or splurge on another set of RFID card access locks like my rear wall compartment.

IMG_20220817_111814.jpg

IMG_20220817_111754.jpg

IMG_20220817_111735.jpg

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much for any vehicle that uses them. Ford isn't the only manufacturer that does this idiocy.
Dodge was the absolute worst. The lug size, with the caps wasn't 21mm but it also wasn't 7/8. They'd strip off, every time, straight from the showroom floor.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
school me on the 2 piece lug nuts. what is that ?? do they have a cap or something on them ?

These things have bitten me many times. The first, while I was out on patrol, I came across a mother & daughter stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. There was not only no cell phone reception, but we didn't even have police coms out there, stuck in the bottom of a valley without radio coverage. And of course, her lug nuts where swollen on her flat tire.

Then, I had a froze caliper on my 2019 Ranger. Of course, swollen lug nuts reared their ugly heads, and I ended up replacing them with that brake job.

Then rafter that, my dad, after experiencing one of his cars having the same problem, ordered a set of solid lug nuts to be sent to my house so we could change them while he and my mom where on a road trip out my way. Ughhhhh. Swollen here too!

And I can't tell you how many times I saw this come up as n issue when I briefly worked at a Ford dealership. $2.50 a lug nut x20 + .5 hrs labor ($90).

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather

These things have bitten me many times. The first, while I was out on patrol, I came across a mother & daughter stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. There was not only no cell phone reception, but we didn't even have police coms out there, stuck in the bottom of a valley without radio coverage. And of course, her lug nuts where swollen on her flat tire.

Then, I had a froze caliper on my 2019 Ranger. Of course, swollen lug nuts reared their ugly heads, and I ended up replacing them with that brake job.

Then rafter that, my dad, after experiencing one of his cars having the same problem, ordered a set of solid lug nuts to be sent to my house so we could change them while he and my mom where on a road trip out my way. Ughhhhh. Swollen here too!

And I can't tell you how many times I saw this come up as n issue when I briefly worked at a Ford dealership. $2.50 a lug nut x20 + .5 hrs labor ($90).
well dammit ford! why would they use these, it looks like a problem waiting to happen. most likely when im trying to change a flat in the middle of no where!
thanks for informing.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
now i know, and knowing is half the battle...

what is the best one piece replacement to fit the 17 inch sport wheels with no future issues of failure? like one and done, when trucks in the junk yard some guy walking by stops and says to his buddy "grab those lug nuts before we go" ?

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Big Blue got fresh oil and had his tires rotated. And yes I have black one piece lug nuts on my sport wheels. Couldn't take the chrome or the two piece. While I was at it I installed the riv-nuts and got rid of the stupid expandable pins to get at the filter.