What did you do to your Ranger today?

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
the way ford is going lately it would not surprise me on the 6g ranger if they were!
They will only delete 1/2 of them. It has to function, but 3 lug nuts per wheel should do the trick.

Or there will be an option of the additional lug nuts if you plan on driving more than 15 MPH.
Sponsored

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
Or there will be an option of the additional lug nuts if you plan on driving more than 15 MPH.
"You can contact your sales rep about ordering additional lug nuts from the Ford Accessory site"

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
"You can contact your sales rep about ordering additional lug nuts from the Ford Accessory site"
I mean, what are those points for anyway!

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

These things have bitten me many times. The first, while I was out on patrol, I came across a mother & daughter stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. There was not only no cell phone reception, but we didn't even have police coms out there, stuck in the bottom of a valley without radio coverage. And of course, her lug nuts where swollen on her flat tire.

Then, I had a froze caliper on my 2019 Ranger. Of course, swollen lug nuts reared their ugly heads, and I ended up replacing them with that brake job.

Then rafter that, my dad, after experiencing one of his cars having the same problem, ordered a set of solid lug nuts to be sent to my house so we could change them while he and my mom where on a road trip out my way. Ughhhhh. Swollen here too!

And I can't tell you how many times I saw this come up as n issue when I briefly worked at a Ford dealership. $2.50 a lug nut x20 + .5 hrs labor ($90).
John,
Here is another video that also has some details about what you have experienced with these faulty lug nuts...

Last edited:

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
If I remember rightly, @P. A. Schilke a schilke got some nice black one-piece lug nuts with all the right dimensions (that is really important). Perhaps he'll remember where he got his and share again? :)

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers

These things have bitten me many times. The first, while I was out on patrol, I came across a mother & daughter stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. There was not only no cell phone reception, but we didn't even have police coms out there, stuck in the bottom of a valley without radio coverage. And of course, her lug nuts where swollen on her flat tire.

Then, I had a froze caliper on my 2019 Ranger. Of course, swollen lug nuts reared their ugly heads, and I ended up replacing them with that brake job.

Then rafter that, my dad, after experiencing one of his cars having the same problem, ordered a set of solid lug nuts to be sent to my house so we could change them while he and my mom where on a road trip out my way. Ughhhhh. Swollen here too!

And I can't tell you how many times I saw this come up as n issue when I briefly worked at a Ford dealership. $2.50 a lug nut x20 + .5 hrs labor ($90).
And to be clear, if you only use 6 point sockets and no impacts on them, they last. Impact gun is really bad for them.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And to be clear, if you only use 6 point sockets and no impacts on them, they last. Impact gun is really bad for them.
Got these for my rig...

1. Breaker Bar 1/2" - drive / 18"
2. Impact socket 1/2" - drive / 3/4" : To use on Ranger lug nuts
3. Impact socket 1/2" - drive / 13/16" : To use on Gorilla lock key

All 3 items are Pittsburgh Pro brand and Lifetime Warranty
Total cost for all from Harbor Freight: 21.53 (tax included)

Breaker Bar & Impact sockets.jpg

Locks installed 2.jpg

Last edited:

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Got these for my rig...

1. Breaker Bar 1/2" - drive / 18"
2. Impact socket 1/2" - drive / 3/4" : To use on Ranger lug nuts
3. Impact socket 1/2" - drive / 13/16" : To use on Gorilla lock key

All 3 items are Pittsburgh Pro brand and Lifetime Warranty
Total cost for all from Harbor Freight: 21.53 (tax included)

Breaker Bar & Impact sockets.jpg
Similar to my setup, I have a 1/2" drive torque wrench for mine as well. Yes, I even torque the lug nuts.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Big Blue got fresh oil and had his tires rotated. And yes I have black one piece lug nuts on my sport wheels. Couldn't take the chrome or the two piece. While I was at it I installed the riv-nuts and got rid of the stupid expandable pins to get at the filter.
Do you have a closeup pic of black lug nuts on sport wheels ?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Similar to my setup, I have a 1/2" drive torque wrench for mine as well. Yes, I even torque the lug nuts.
These are for an emergency in case I can't contact roadside assistance for some reason. I have rotations done at Ford.

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the BlackHorse Atlas Chase Rack. Just trying to figure out the wiring for the CHMSL that is on the rack, as it covers the factory light. The hardest part was GASP! DRILLING INTO MY BABY....

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg

Doesn't look to bad, but I am curious: Those are about $900 right? Why not get a full standard rack for that money?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
They will only delete 1/2 of them. It has to function, but 3 lug nuts per wheel should do the trick.

part of an upgrade package no doubt...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
John,
Here is another video that also has some details about what you have experienced with these faulty lug nuts...

thanks for posting this paul. all this time i missed this issue some how. glad i found out here instead of on the side of the road or out in west texas.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
thanks for posting this paul. all this time i missed this issue some how. glad i found out here instead of on the side of the road or out in west texas.
Your welcome Mark. I learned about those faulty lugs on this forum.

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Transit Supervisor
Doesn't look to bad, but I am curious: Those are about $900 right? Why not get a full standard rack for that money?
I got this one from Autoanything.com for $662. I didn't really want a full rack, I am a child of the 80's and wanted more of a "Roll Bar" look. If I could have found a manufacturer that made good old fashioned Triple-Doubles for the Ranger I would have been all over that. I have some cheap Amazon LED lights that are going to go on it until I can afford the KC HiLiters with the yellow covers.
Sponsored