What are you feeding your Ranger owner tonight?

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Won't be for tonight but I've had a 10+ lb pork butt marinating in pineapple juice for about 28 hours after i drain it and pat it dry i will coat it in my homemade rub. Smoker has water and pellets and ready to go. I will fire it up and start lunch for football tomorrow in 2 hours. Having pulled pork nachos 😋 🤩😍

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I marinated the pig in pineapple juice for about 18 hours or so then coated it in my homemade rub, smoked it for 12 hrs 45 min. Bottom stuck a bit to the grate but I got it out whole, just one spot tore. Poured a small jar of pineapple orange juice over it and wrapped it in foil to rest...
1000008107.jpg

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I marinated the pig in pineapple juice for about 18 hours or so then coated it in my homemade rub, smoked it for 12 hrs 45 min. Bottom stuck a bit to the grate but I got it out whole, just one spot tore. Poured a small jar of pineapple orange juice over it and wrapped it in foil to rest...
1000008107.jpg
Wow - that looks delicious Mike!

However, I’m a bit reluctant to believe the story that it stuck to the grate and tore. I’m more inclined to think that it looked so darn good that you couldn’t wait and just had to rip into it and have a taste. :wink:

Enjoy!

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Wow - that looks delicious Mike!

However, I’m a bit reluctant to believe the story that it stuck to the grate and tore. I’m more inclined to think that it looked so darn good that you couldn’t wait and just had to rip into it and have a taste. :wink:

Enjoy!
🤐

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
1000008107.jpg
Dang! That looks really good!

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
1000008107.jpg

Dang! That looks really good!
Brian’s right Mike, that does look good. Now, after all that effort, how do you serve it up? Seems almost blasphemous to just shred it and douse it in BBQ sauce. Do you have a special way you serve it or a unique sauce (maybe something pineapple related) that you’ll use?

Man, my mouth waters every time I see that picture. 🤤

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Brian’s right Mike, that does look good. Now, after all that effort, how do you serve it up? Seems almost blasphemous to just shred it and douse it in BBQ sauce. Do you have a special way you serve it or a unique sauce (maybe something pineapple related) that you’ll use?

Man, my mouth waters every time I see that picture. 🤤
Duke all I can say it's the best one yet. I've injected apple cider and marinated in the past but although the flavor was good it can't compare to tonight's. Fall apart tender and juicy. I shredded up about a quarter of it and then put unsalted nacho chips and shredded cojack cheese on the chips and put them under the broiler until melted, spread out the pork, some thick hickory smoke bbq sauce drizzled on then squeezed on some sour cream and ate it!

I make my rub up in a huge batch then shake it up and keep it in an air tight container.its got alot good spices in it, I'll have to post my mix. Our guts don't care for cayenne pepper flakes but the ground red pepper gives it some heat along with dark brown sugar....

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Ok here is my personal no longer secret rub mix, found a few recipes to gain a good consistent list of spices. Then I mixed up small batches with tweaks here and there until we found an OMG flavor. I've used it a few years now. If you keep it dry and sealed I've kept it in the pantry for over a year at times and it's just as good as a fresh mix. After I removed the pork from the pineapple juice and used paper towels to dry it off, I used approximately 1.5 to 2 cups max to get an even coat over the entire butt then smoked it in a preheated pellet smoker set on 250F for 12.5 hours or once it reached 200F then pulled it out and put it in a big deep foil pan and poured an 8 oz bottle of pineapple orange juice over it evenly and wrapped the pan in foil and set a dry folded towel over it and let it rest at least 60 min ( today was 90 min since we waited for halftime.) My shredder claws hadn't arrived yet so I shredded off what we'd eat by hand, almost too hot to handle still).

Keep your pellets in the hopper but only use what you think you'll use with just a little left, I made the mistake of pouring a whole bag in once and when it came time to use the smoker again I had to take the pellets out and clear a jam of swelled pellets from humidity. Keep your water pan in the smoker topped off so.it stays moist.

Rub recipe-

All dry ingredients.

2 1/4 Cups of firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4, Cup white granulated sugar

Two 2oz bottles of American paprika

1/4 Cup granulated garlic

2 TBSP ground black pepper

2 TBSP ground ginger powder

2 TBSP onion powder

2 TBSP rosemary powder ( if its dried simple rosemary I use my electric coffee grinder it releases more oils)

1 TBSP celery salt

1 TBSP of ground red pepper (cayene)

Mix it all thoroughly in a large stainless steel bowl with a wire whip by hand and then store it in an air tight container like mason jars or a gallon zip lock bag.

When you are ready to use it, kneed the bag to loosen it up then shake it a bit then coat your meat. I've used it on pulled pork, ribs and chicken and a brisket so far.

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Ok here is my personal no longer secret rub mix, found a few recipes to gain a good consistent list of spices. Then I mixed up small batches with tweaks here and there until we found an OMG flavor. I've used it a few years now. If you keep it dry and sealed I've kept it in the pantry for over a year at times and it's just as good as a fresh mix. After I removed the pork from the pineapple juice and used paper towels to dry it off, I used approximately 1.5 to 2 cups max to get an even coat over the entire butt then smoked it in a preheated pellet smoker set on 250F for 12.5 hours or once it reached 200F then pulled it out and put it in a big deep foil pan and poured an 8 oz bottle of pineapple orange juice over it evenly and wrapped the pan in foil and set a dry folded towel over it and let it rest at least 60 min ( today was 90 min since we waited for halftime.) My shredder claws hadn't arrived yet so I shredded off what we'd eat by hand, almost too hot to handle still).

Keep your pellets in the hopper but only use what you think you'll use with just a little left, I made the mistake of pouring a whole bag in once and when it came time to use the smoker again I had to take the pellets out and clear a jam of swelled pellets from humidity. Keep your water pan in the smoker topped off so.it stays moist.

Rub recipe-

All dry ingredients.

2 1/4 Cups of firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4, Cup white granulated sugar

Two 2oz bottles of American paprika

1/4 Cup granulated garlic

2 TBSP ground black pepper

2 TBSP ground ginger powder

2 TBSP onion powder

2 TBSP rosemary powder ( if its dried simple rosemary I use my electric coffee grinder it releases more oils)

1 TBSP celery salt

1 TBSP of ground red pepper (cayene)

Mix it all thoroughly in a large stainless steel bowl with a wire whip by hand and then store it in an air tight container like mason jars or a gallon zip lock bag.

When you are ready to use it, kneed the bag to loosen it up then shake it a bit then coat your meat. I've used it on pulled pork, ribs and chicken and a brisket so far.
Thanks Mike!

IMG_4978.jpeg

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
The days are getting shorter here at the cottage - the sun rises later and it’s a bit dark by dinner time. I’ll soon be BBQ’ing under lantern light. Fired up the grill tonight for our simple but delicious dinner….topped off with a generous glass of Zinfandel.

IMG_4976.jpeg

Grilled beef tenderloin steaks with baby arugula salad and garlic baguette - one of Mrs. DukeCanBuildit’s favourite comfort meals.

Last edited:

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
The days are getting shorter here at the cottage - the sun rises later and it’s a bit dark by dinner time. I’ll soon be BBQ’ing under lantern light. Fired up the grill tonight for our simple but delicious dinner….topped off with a generous glass of Zinfandel.

IMG_4976.jpeg

Grilled beef tenderloin steaks with baby arugul salad and garlic baguette - one of Mrs. DukeCanBuildit’s favourite comfort meals.
Yum!

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95

IMG_4976.jpeg

Grilled beef tenderloin steaks with baby arugul salad and garlic baguette - one of Mrs. DukeCanBuildit’s favourite comfort meals.
Dang, that looks good! Beef.....it's what's for supper!
Sponsored