First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I've bought more than a few brand new cars over 22 ish years. I'm terrible with investments/money... This is the first that ever needed 4k miles for a major component to settle down like this; including a few Hyundais and their.. quirks. Maybe that is more a back in the day thing I missed out on only being in my 40s.

Mine wasn't constant even when it was being a butt and I think I missed it on the test drive since I drove it on the test drive. Didn't putz around trying to save gas like I normally do heading to work when it tended to shift like a dipshit learning to drive a stick. Didn't trash it either but .. anyway.. I guess with Ford I should have done a bit better job on driving conditions to get a better feel for it... But it's better now and if that means this trans is more robust than most. I'll take it.

Service side knew about the issue and we talked about it when they fixed something else. Might be good for the sales side to warn about.. just as a heads up. Hey dipshit you bought a truck with a trans meant to be a truck. This isn't a GM truck trans, since my one ton never had to break it by driving like doodoo for a bit. Ford tough means rough shifting for a bit, but it will last longer/hold more power, etc. Put a spin on it maybe. Dunno.
FWIW, GM is putting the same transmission in their pickups and full size SUVs too. Haven't heard that there is issues with it in GM products.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Mine is whatever 6 speed they bolted to the 6.0 v8. It is also a 2014 so a bit before this trans showed up anyway.

Forgot they actually use the trans they helped create. Also, how many sales people know any of that.. heh

Mathguy

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4 Oxford White
Occupation
Retired Math Teacher
The only thing I hate about my truck is the transmission. Mine shifts like crap, especially in town. Doesn’t matter if I use sport, tow, etc. I get clunks, the harsh downshifts, and unless I come to a complete stop perfectly like the truck wants, I always get a thunk like I just got rear ended. I’m at 13,000 miles. I even tried erasing the transmission tables using forscan. I’ve had trucks my whole life, and this one has to be the worst when it comes to the transmission. I had a 2019 Silverado which was a little harsh, but still nothing compared to this.

If I ever did get rid of this truck, it would be because of the transmission. Aside from that, the truck is great
My feeling exactly, and that's WITH the Ford tune. It seemed to help matters for a bit at first, maybe, but not much any more. I almost never use D. I wonder if I should un-install it, then try it again? I would buy a different tune if I was positive it would fix things for good. I never even thought about shifts in my Tacoma or Rav 4! And the weird buzzing noises while shifting are also annoying AF.

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
Our last truck was a 20 Ram 1500 Limited, and that thing shifted butter smooth from day one. So we went from one extreme to the other. Hopefully it gets better. The slip joint bump and mushy brakes don't help the situation much either. It's kinda been a rolling sh*t show since I got it. Maybe when I get a chance I'll try to work out some of these issues.
The brakes are very bad off the line for sure …

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
It does make one wonder (not me , ive been "converted") about how many people walked away from the Ranger because of the test drive , thats gotta be a pain for the salesman " I swear it gets better after you put enough miles on it that you can't bring it back " I could see where that might make one "wonder" ... Not me of course , ive been through the conversion therapy (its rough) so I know better.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Again, Gentlemen, the GM and Ford versions of the 10R80, use the same basic architecture. However, the internals are different enough, interchangeability isn't possible. The ZF design(s) shares the same issue. Same overall, but not interchangeable internally. And... the software logic is different too!

Not to belabor the points made here, but a bit on research by both the pro and con sides of the argument, would have made this thread about one page long.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Again, Gentlemen, the GM and Ford versions of the 10R80, use the same basic architecture. However, the internals are different enough, interchangeability isn't possible. The ZF design(s) shares the same issue. Same overall, but not interchangeable internally. And... the software logic is different too!

Not to belabor the points made here, but a bit on research by both the pro and con sides of the argument, would have made this thread about one page long.
Well thank you Sir for that breakdown. I will continue to speak out against the German/Italian/French garbage that's fiat or zf or whatever as I've had my rounds with them personally and had my wallet severely lightened trying to look cool driving that junk.

I take vehicles apart and reassemble them for a living (No that doesn't make me some kind of expert, but I've had hands on a bunch of cars) and have been shown time and time again that European cars are sent over to our shores for the express purpose of separating US citizens from our $$. They are beautiful, overengineered, high-maintenance, rolling money pits. I feel the opposite about Japanese vehicles in most cases; they try their damndest to make good vehicles with a few exceptions (tacoma lol).

Most of the 10R80 "complaints" I see on here seem frivolous and spoiled-childlike. "skipped gears" "I felt it shift" "I felt it downshift" "holds a high gear too long and vibrates my crotch" "holds a low gear too long after I pass" etc. Come on people. Guess I just have a really good one.

APmech

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
A&P
Well thank you Sir for that breakdown. I will continue to speak out against the German/Italian/French garbage that's fiat or zf or whatever as I've had my rounds with them personally and had my wallet severely lightened trying to look cool driving that junk.

I take vehicles apart and reassemble them for a living (No that doesn't make me some kind of expert, but I've had hands on a bunch of cars) and have been shown time and time again that European cars are sent over to our shores for the express purpose of separating US citizens from our $$. They are beautiful, overengineered, high-maintenance, rolling money pits. I feel the opposite about Japanese vehicles in most cases; they try their damndest to make good vehicles with a few exceptions (tacoma lol).

Most of the 10R80 "complaints" I see on here seem frivolous and spoiled-childlike. "skipped gears" "I felt it shift" "I felt it downshift" "holds a high gear too long and vibrates my crotch" "holds a low gear too long after I pass" etc. Come on people. Guess I just have a really good one.
Very ignorant and arrogant things to say from someone that doesn't seem to have the same shifting issues. These are legit issues and to say that your fellow forum people in here are spoiled and childlike is kinda, you know, childlike.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Very ignorant and arrogant things to say from someone that doesn't seem to have the same shifting issues. These are legit issues and to say that your fellow forum people in here are spoiled and childlike is kinda, you know, childlike.
Well call it what you like, but I have to do the same. I just wish I understood Why skipping shifts was even something anyone cares about. Again, just turn that dash gear selection indicator off and pretend its banging through every single gear. you wont know the difference I promise.

APmech

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
A&P
Well call it what you like, but I have to do the same. I just wish I understood Why skipping shifts was even something anyone cares about. Again, just turn that dash gear selection indicator off and pretend its banging through every single gear. you wont know the difference I promise.
Well, that's the thing. With my previous vehicles I never even once thought about it at all. I just drove them. With this one, like others here had issues from the get go. I asked the dealer to check the trans fluid level (which I doubt they did) and they said it was fine. Told me it's got to learn my driving habits and to give it a few thousand miles and it will smooth out. Since I have the takeoff shudder (already verified the pinion angle was ok) and lousy shifting, I was worried the trans fluid was low. I'm going to check that myself too when I get back from my deployment.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Id like to update mine , last tank fill I decided come hell or high water i was going to use "D" as tow mode is killing me on the hills , so for the past week I have been waiting for the "lug" and as soon as it would start I would just hit the gas a little or back off compleatly so it would get out of that gear , it seems to be working , and working pretty well actually , part of this success I believe is me " anticipating" when its about drop rpms and I just apply a little more accelerator , or back off , even had the ole ASS kick in a few times ... no biggie... But i guess we are both adapting. , she still slaps me in the butt sometimes at a light , but I kinda need (and like) that anyway ...

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone in here knows how I LOVE THE HARD SHIFTS!!!!!

You think she shifts hard stock....put a tune on her and see how it feels....lol :devil:

I love the hard shifts so much that I reload my tune regularly so I can run back through "learning mode"......bunch of grannies in here with the hard shift whining.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
I really only have one issue with the Ranger tranny and it is an issue with how Ford decided to program it. I have been driving 2.3 Ecoboost powered vehicles for the past 7 years and 100k+ miles. The engine is just not happy cruising along at less than 1500 rpm. The way the tranny is programmed it will have the rpm around 1200 or 1300 rpm when cruising. I realize you can lock out gears, use tow mode or sport to keep the rpms up but you shouldn't have to.

The FP tune made a big improvement but was not perfect. Since I wanted to get back to using 87 octane with gas prices the way they are. I decided to go to Unleashed for an 87 octane tune with custom transmission tuning. I am on my third revision to the tranny tune and it is now the way I want it. Cruises between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Up shifts are crisp and it willingly down shifts without being over aggressive like tow mode.
Did the unleaded tune fix tow mode? Normal mode works pretty good for me except the lugging at too high a gear. Tow and sport mode both shift way too rough, especially on downshifts where I slowing down very easily. I’m constantly lurching forward and back in those mode with tow being the worst. No way I’d actually want to tow something with the way this transmission acts in tow.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Did the unleaded tune fix tow mode? Normal mode works pretty good for me except the lugging at too high a gear. Tow and sport mode both shift way too rough, especially on downshifts where I slowing down very easily. I’m constantly lurching forward and back in those mode with tow being the worst. No way I’d actually want to tow something with the way this transmission acts in tow.
I didn't ask him to do anything to Tow or Sport modes. Tow mode works just fine for me when towing. When I had Unleashed create the tranny tune my initial request was I wanted Tow Mode without the higher rpm upshifts and without the aggressive down shifting, it always did a pretty good job keeping the rpm in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range. Sport works just like you would expect it to but it is certainly not something you want to be using when you are out cruising.

Since I got the tune sorted I have not used Tow Mode (unless I was towing), have never really used Sport and have not needed to lock out any gears.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I love the hard shifts so much that I reload my tune regularly so I can run back through "learning mode"......bunch of grannies in here with the hard shift whining.

Jesus, that's the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

There's a reason that the adaptive relearn has a very specific set of instructions to relearn the transmission controller. Simply wiping it and hammering on it is a bad idea as the transmission will have no idea the status of the clutches or the hydraulic circuits.

I'm not saying that it is going to destroy the trans, but I don't think there's anything good that can come of doing that long-term.

If you want hard shifts, have someone build a tune with firm, fast shifts. It is probably better for the clutches in the long run, and you should be able to avoid shock-loading the internals too much with proper shift timing (Pulling ignition timing, dumping fuel).
Sponsored

Last edited: