First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
It’s in Fiats, BMWs, Mercs, Bentleys, etc.
What has that got to do with anything? The fact is the Mopar 8spd is generally considered to be the best longitudinal automatic transmission currently available.

The 10R80 is a joint GM/Ford design that happens to be in more GM models than Ford.

Manufacturers have been using transmissions that were designed by other companies since the 60s. The current Mustang 6spd manual was designed and built by Getrag, my 89 Shelby Daytona also had a Getrag tranny. The GT350 has the same Tremec 6spd manual as Dodge uses in the Challenger and Viper. The Shelby GT500 has a Tremec DCT tranny. Going back into the 80s GM, Ford and AMC all used the Borg Warner (latter sold to Tremec) T5.
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
What has that got to do with anything? The fact is the Mopar 8spd is generally considered to be the best longitudinal automatic transmission currently available.

The 10R80 is a joint GM/Ford design that happens to be in more GM models than Ford.

Manufacturers have been using transmissions that were designed by other companies since the 60s. The current Mustang 6spd manual was designed and built by Getrag, my 89 Shelby Daytona also had a Getrag tranny. The GT350 has the same Tremec 6spd manual as Dodge uses in the Challenger and Viper. The Shelby GT500 has a Tremec DCT tranny. Going back into the 80s GM, Ford and AMC all used the Borg Warner (latter sold to Tremec) T5.
Your 1st 2 paragraphs are simply not correct. I won’t try to correct you but you need to do some research.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23367341/automatic-transmission-best-zf-eight-speed/

I will stand corrected on the number of applications of the GM/Ford 10spd automatic. They both have 13 models using the tranny.
Don’t bother with him bro, he’s a moron. He can’t even read the article that he replied on here with, which says Jeep has issues with their 9 speed transmission, not the ZF8 we’ve been discussing. Dude is a few IQ points short of full retard.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Might be a different gripe than many, but my biggest complaint is the behavior when I pass someone on a regular 2 lane highway. I'll give full throttle, get around them, and then it stays in a low gear forever longer than I want it to. I figure it's thinking I might need the lower gear again, but most of the time I don't. I just want it to shift back to 10th while I'm back cruising at 55 and it's hanging in 7th or 8th for no reason at all.
I've noticed this, too, and I'm not sure why this happens. Maybe it's something related to engine breathing / catalyst management. Maybe mitigating intake valve deposits? IDK. It's weird.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t bother with him bro, he’s a moron. He can’t even read the article that he replied on here with, which says Jeep has issues with their 9 speed transmission, not the ZF8 we’ve been discussing. Dude is a few IQ points short of full retard.
Ok so you just gonna ignore the fact that Ram is listed at the bottom as well huh. Guess thats some other trans as well..

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Ok so you just gonna ignore the fact that Ram is listed at the bottom as well huh. Guess thats some other trans as well..
I missed that originally, but it just says “Ram” on the article, doesn’t specify which Rams. The Ram vans for instance use the 9 speed, and since they specifically mention the 9 speed in the article, I’m assuming the Rams they are talking about are probably the vans.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I missed that originally, but it just says “Ram” on the article, doesn’t specify which Rams. The Ram vans for instance use the 9 speed, and since they specifically mention the 9 speed in the article, I’m assuming the Rams they are talking about are probably the vans.
Ok I will admit then..The ZF is the highlight of the Chrysler lineup lol.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I like how this went from someone admitting they were wrong to people telling each other they are wrong.

All ZF/GM/Ford/Aisin automatic transmissions suck.

Prove me wrong.

(I would have preferred a stick but that wasn't an option and limits who can drive it in the household... Bah)

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I like how this went from someone admitting they were wrong to people telling each other they are wrong.

All ZF/GM/Ford/Aisin automatic transmissions suck.

Prove me wrong.

(I would have preferred a stick but that wasn't an option and limits who can drive it in the household... Bah)
LOL

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Keep in mind, gentlemen, Chrysler makes a large number of ZF-designed 8 speeds, but ZF does have a plant here in the US as well. Number of units made by each, is not easy to find, so which plant makes the most (here in the USA) is perhaps moot. Further, the internals of Chrysler build models, ARE NOT (!) the same as the ZF built ones. Even the torque converter is different. In a few words, torque converter is "looser" than the ZF supplied ones.

We also need to remember, that Ford uses the 10R40 in the vast majority of their F150s, the largest selling vehicle made in the USA! In addition, Mustang Eco-Boost models use the 10R40, most of which are 10R40 equipped.

And remember too, the 10R40 uses adaptive logic to control it. What this means is, your style of driving commands the transmission to do what it does. For example, using the Sports mode for highway use, means it will indeed stay in gear longer than it will in Drive mode. Unfortunately, Ford doesn't describe its operation to any extent in the owners manual. However, if you took the time to do some on-line research about the 10R40's shift logic, you'd have a better understanding of what is going on. Then, you'll be blaming yourself, not the transmission!

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
I've got 500 miles on mine and it's noticeably improving. Sport mode feels better. But I've had enough new vehicles to understand that clutch surfaces need to burnish in and the grabbiness goes away with use. I felt the same when I drove it off the lot, WTF?

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I've bought more than a few brand new cars over 22 ish years. I'm terrible with investments/money... This is the first that ever needed 4k miles for a major component to settle down like this; including a few Hyundais and their.. quirks. Maybe that is more a back in the day thing I missed out on only being in my 40s.

Mine wasn't constant even when it was being a butt and I think I missed it on the test drive since I drove it on the test drive. Didn't putz around trying to save gas like I normally do heading to work when it tended to shift like a dipshit learning to drive a stick. Didn't trash it either but .. anyway.. I guess with Ford I should have done a bit better job on driving conditions to get a better feel for it... But it's better now and if that means this trans is more robust than most. I'll take it.

Service side knew about the issue and we talked about it when they fixed something else. Might be good for the sales side to warn about.. just as a heads up. Hey dipshit you bought a truck with a trans meant to be a truck. This isn't a GM truck trans, since my one ton never had to break it by driving like doodoo for a bit. Ford tough means rough shifting for a bit, but it will last longer/hold more power, etc. Put a spin on it maybe. Dunno.
Sponsored