Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Jesus, that's the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

There's a reason that the adaptive relearn has a very specific set of instructions to relearn the transmission controller. Simply wiping it and hammering on it is a bad idea as the transmission will have no idea the status of the clutches or the hydraulic circuits.

I'm not saying that it is going to destroy the trans, but I don't think there's anything good that can come of doing that long-term.

If you want hard shifts, have someone build a tune with firm, fast shifts. It is probably better for the clutches in the long run, and you should be able to avoid shock-loading the internals too much with proper shift timing (Pulling ignition timing, dumping fuel).
Jesus has absolutely nothing to do with the way I drive my Ranger.....although he does watch over and protect me quite well..... :wink:

Fortunately my Ranger transmission doesn't read anything posted in here.....

BTW...you might want to end these type of responses with an.....IMO (In my opinion).
Sponsored

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
Found something really cool on my Ranger today. if you hit the sport shif button once when in Drive it shows the gears on the edge of the entertainment screen. so you can monitor the shifts as they happen. it's been a pretty interesting watch so far. Don't know if it's been posted before so thought I would share

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Found something really cool on my Ranger today. if you hit the sport shif button once when in Drive it shows the gears on the edge of the entertainment screen. so you can monitor the shifts as they happen. it's been a pretty interesting watch so far. Don't know if it's been posted before so thought I would share
You can only see the gears shift in D mode. You can also lock out gears in D mode.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
It also comes with a handy counter to show you how much life your 10R80's has left...that would be the odometer...

Last edited:

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Demi-God
The gears show up when you're manually shifting S mode too.
this would be expected. For them to show up in D mode was not
It also comes with a handy counter to show you how much your 10R80's life has left...it's called the odometer...
deleted as context was provided

The reason this caught my attention is the 3 of the last 4 cars I have owned have had a sport mode, all of them Fords. None of them had this feature. Not even my 2019 escape titanium had it, so yeah I got a little excited

Last edited:

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
failed sarcasm noted However that is NOT what the odometer does nor what it is for. It is in no way even a predictor of the life left in your 10R80.

The reason this caught my attention is the 3 of the last 4 cars I have owned have had a sport mode, all of them Fords. None of them had this feature. Not even my 2019 escape titanium had it, so yeah I got a little excited
For some context, Sid (Msfitoy) had his ranger trans just recently die. This is where his joke is coming from. I didn’t see that as failed sarcasm but light humor.

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Demi-God
For some context, Sid (Msfitoy) had his ranger trans just recently die. This is where his joke is coming from. I didn’t see that as failed sarcasm but light humor.
. Ah … context is everything. Especially to a newb to the forum. Thanks for this

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
deleted as context was provided
He said they only show up while in D mode which was wrong. So I was only clarifying they do show up in S mode but only while manual shifting.

You can only see the gears shift in D mode

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Back in the 90s, I owned a coupla Ford Taurus cars. Both puked their trannies around 90K. My transmission guy that rebuilt them sounded like that was about what to expect. I noticed after each rebuild, they seemed to shift harder. He told me that is what you want from an automatic.
An earlier poster echoed my feelings on this issue... Not to worry for most of us.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Back in the 90s, I owned a coupla Ford Taurus cars. Both puked their trannies around 90K. My transmission guy that rebuilt them sounded like that was about what to expect.

I noticed after each rebuild, they seemed to shift harder. He told me that is what you want from an automatic.

An earlier poster echoed my feelings on this issue... Not to worry for most of us.
I had read that somewhere on here too. So I flashed my soft shift tune back to the performance tune which shift a little harder. Nit real hard but noticeably harder than the soft shift. Either way I won't make it to the dreaded 95K mark as I'm only at 31,600 and will be getting another within the next year or so.
Sponsored