First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I test drove it, seemed fine. (test drove two actually, an STX - then the XLT I ended up with)

Got it home then noticed some .. rather disturbing harsh shifts as it broke in.

I read the forums and thought I bought a turd and people were just Ford fans and ignoring an issue.

I even had the dealer check fluid levels when it was in for another fix; it was fine.

Right after 4k the bastard smoothed out.... it has been awesome for the last 500 miles.

I doubted you all - I am sorry

For anyone else searching for harsh shifts etc; it does in fact smooth out to be all buttery and stuff. Mine was horrid on 3 to 5 shifts especially, now I can't tell unless I push + and see it or notice the RPM change. Even on a cold shift, it isn't the same - smoother than my other three cars.

Now I actually like the trans. It learned me and I learned when to hit the tow button or shift into S for what I want from the truck.

Again, sorry for doubting many of you. Long live the 10R80 (please, I only extended my warranty to 100k)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Mine has about 3800 miles on it. I try to drive it as smooth as possible but my wife always asks why I'm driving it so harshly.... lol. I tell her I'm not, it's this damn truck.
If it is like mine it will wake up one morning and figure out the meaning of life. It was that abrupt when it cut out the BS shift stuff.

APmech

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
A&P
If it is like mine it will wake up one morning and figure out the meaning of life. It was that abrupt when it cut out the BS shift stuff.
Our last truck was a 20 Ram 1500 Limited, and that thing shifted butter smooth from day one. So we went from one extreme to the other. Hopefully it gets better. The slip joint bump and mushy brakes don't help the situation much either. It's kinda been a rolling sh*t show since I got it. Maybe when I get a chance I'll try to work out some of these issues.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This is the first vehicle that I had where it had to "learn" your driving habits. Like you I was skeptical that it would get better and sure enough it did. It still had that higher gear lugging but once I tuned mine it took that away. Driving in S or locking out 9th & 10th gear helps too. Glad it soothed out for you and when all else fails add a damper, it seems to help all problems. :D

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Our last truck was a 20 Ram 1500 Limited, and that thing shifted butter smooth from day one. So we went from one extreme to the other. Hopefully it gets better. The slip joint bump and mushy brakes don't help the situation much either. It's kinda been a rolling sh*t show since I got it. Maybe when I get a chance I'll try to work out some of these issues.
There is a fix in Forscan for the mushy brakes. You hear a good half minute of clicking and whirring sounds, after that you have much firmer brake feel.
While in Forscan, I disabled the seatbelt chimes, changed the panic button on the key fob to need two presses instead of one, enabled the "fog light on one side while turning" and a few other things that I can't recall this early in the morning.

My 10r80 has 30K on it now. I've had a couple rough shifts when the trans is still cold, but it's really smooth when up to temp.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
.. add a damper, it seems to help all problems. :D
That was the second thing I added to the truck. Needed running boards for the kiddos so that "mod" beat the damper.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
You know you can fix the mushy brake issue in 5 minutes with Forscan right?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
IMHO - It is a truck. It drives like a truck. That means it shifts like a truck.

So many people are conditioned to want to drive a car because it feels like every vehicle has been "dumbed down" to drive like a car. SUV's drive like cars now. Big sedans that used to have more in common with a truck (body on frame and usually the same engine and transmission) now drive like cars. There has been a push to be more "civil mannered."

GM was one of the first to start doing it. Their trucks were always a little more cushy-er, softer riding, and a steering wheel that spun like Pat Sajack's wheel of fortune. To me it felt like I was driving a glob of pudding. I always hated that. I like the feel of a truck under you. It's like having a good horse on a trail ride. Comfy enough but also rugged in all the right spots to get the job done.

So when people talk about how their truck fels and if it is shifting harsh or smooth and if the ride is bouncy or punishing or like floating on a cloud, I always wonder, what is their frame of reference? What was the past life experiences that lead you to that conclusion / observation? A guy that drives a dump truck in a rock quarry might think this truck rides like a Cadillac, but lady that is use to a Mercedes S-Class might be a bit offended at the handling. She'll probably be offended about the Filiberto's burrito I ate in the truck and subsequent "voc off gassing" but that's what trucks are for.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
im at a little over 1000 miles in and still getting weird hard shifts , up and down , that never really bothered me , but the lug did so almost ALL my mileage is either tow mode (most) sport , and little D with the gear lockout deal , my question would be , is my transmission learning in those other modes or just in "D" ?

my future tune request would be "tow mode" minus the brakes ...

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
IMHO - It is a truck. It drives like a truck. That means it shifts like a truck.

So many people are conditioned to want to drive a car because it feels like every vehicle has been "dumbed down" to drive like a car. SUV's drive like cars now. Big sedans that used to have more in common with a truck (body on frame and usually the same engine and transmission) now drive like cars. There has been a push to be more "civil mannered."

GM was one of the first to start doing it. Their trucks were always a little more cushy-er, softer riding, and a steering wheel that spun like Pat Sajack's wheel of fortune. To me it felt like I was driving a glob of pudding. I always hated that. I like the feel of a truck under you. It's like having a good horse on a trail ride. Comfy enough but also rugged in all the right spots to get the job done.

So when people talk about how their truck fels and if it is shifting harsh or smooth and if the ride is bouncy or punishing or like floating on a cloud, I always wonder, what is their frame of reference? What was the past life experiences that lead you to that conclusion / observation? A guy that drives a dump truck in a rock quarry might think this truck rides like a Cadillac, but lady that is use to a Mercedes S-Class might be a bit offended at the handling. She'll probably be offended about the Filiberto's burrito I ate in the truck and subsequent "voc off gassing" but that's what trucks are for.
LOL...Filiberto's.
Yep!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
im at a little over 1000 miles in and still getting weird hard shifts , up and down , that never really bothered me , but the lug did so almost ALL my mileage is either tow mode (most) sport , and little D with the gear lockout deal , my question would be , is my transmission learning in those other modes or just in "D" ?

my future tune request would be "tow mode" minus the brakes ...
A couple things. The OP said his smoothed out after 4000 miles, yours is hardly passed the break in period. Also if you are using tow mode or S mode it is learning and adjust shift table in thoseodes and not normal D mode. So, don't expect normal D mode to get better if you don’t use it.

I have a little over 22000 miles on mine. I use D 90% of the time except when I am towing. My shifts are smooth except the rare rough one on a cold morning if i don't warm up the truck. Mine does not lug in town. In fact it almost never goes over 7th gear (straight thru) unless I'm speeding. Only time I lock out gears is 9th and 10th when I'm towing.

IMHO, the 10R80 is the smoothest automatic I've driven, mainly because it has 10 close ratio gears. Remember those three speeds with that awful 1st to 2nd shift?

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Now it shifts like I'd expect from a truck. Smooth but also has a solid feel to it going from park to drive etc. I also prefer the rangers heavier steering to my other vehicles. Now that the abs pump is bleed... I like it's brake pedal more than my other rides; easier to modulate - probably safer for towing because of that. So I do like it's truck like behavior.

That said:

When new/before 4k miles on mine.... If shifting like a truck means it having the equivalent ability of a 14 year old with a learners permit trying to figure out manual they bought because it looked neat, sure.. (that may be a bit of an exaggeration...)

My frame of reference.All the Army's wheeled vehicles up to the 8x8 HEMTT. That one is fun in the mud especially if you get it sideways and scare the crap out of the person riding with you. In the driveway is my 2014 3500 GM with the 6.0 and a 6spd auto (didn't opt for the diesel), but that was covered as one meant to feel more car like than it should. The steering on that is silly overboosted, don't like that about it much.
Sponsored