Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hello all,

I had a quick question regarding this sound I get when I come down and off of any driveways at full turn in D/S mode. It is only at full turn, usually a full right turn and only when going off of a slight incline onto the asphalt street. As in the little slope of a driveway entrance to any parking lot where the street is sloped for drainage. It is a sort of scraping sound near the front tires but on the inner sidewall area. This will never happen at full turn on flat surfaces, only when going from an inclined slope to flat surface at full turn. I have completely stock suspension, tires and wheels, however I am on the 18's from factory, could they be too big from factory? Or are my coilovers too soft? I see no rubbing on my felt liners, so I don't think I am rubbing there.. It sort of sounds more like a metal like vibrating/rubbing/scraping? I don't know much about mechanical things so sorry for the terrible descriptions. I can provide more info if need be or even replicate the sound the next time I am out.

Warm regards,
Brandon
Sponsored

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My rear rotors are most likely warped again and do this when turning right only. It happens harder right turns only, but every time. It sometimes sounds like scraping, and sometimes sounds like a metalic grind. I have 8K miles on my rear brakes (this set). I'm on my 8th set of rears at 41K miles.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
My rear rotors are most likely warped again and do this when turning right only. It happens harder right turns only, but every time. It sometimes sounds like scraping, and sometimes sounds like a metalic grind. I have 8K miles on my rear brakes (this set). I'm on my 8th set of rears at 41K miles.
Interesting. I think this could be the issue. It's very metallic like but not extremely loud like deadened sound almost. Do you just take it to dealership notifying them of this issue and they replace it?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I think this could be the issue. It's very metallic like but not extremely loud like deadened sound almost. Do you just take it to dealership notifying them of this issue and they replace it?
Well so far they just slap new parts on it and I drive out. Sometimes they try to turn the rotors and I come back in 500 miles, sometimes they replace rotors and I come back in 2000 miles, sometimes they replace pads and I come back the next day, sometimes they change one rotor and one set of pads and I come back in a month... It's very infuriating, and if I wasn't so far underwater on this truck I'd have traded it on something else.

I'm currently on my second attempt at working with Ford Corporate on fixing my brake issues once and for all, but I bought a new truck so I didn't have to spend tons of time having it worked on so it's difficult to deal with leaving it at the dealer in the summer when I need it to do truck things.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
Hello all,

I had a quick question regarding this sound I get when I come down and off of any driveways at full turn in D/S mode. It is only at full turn, usually a full right turn and only when going off of a slight incline onto the asphalt street. As in the little slope of a driveway entrance to any parking lot where the street is sloped for drainage. It is a sort of scraping sound near the front tires but on the inner sidewall area. This will never happen at full turn on flat surfaces, only when going from an inclined slope to flat surface at full turn. I have completely stock suspension, tires and wheels, however I am on the 18's from factory, could they be too big from factory? Or are my coilovers too soft? I see no rubbing on my felt liners, so I don't think I am rubbing there.. It sort of sounds more like a metal like vibrating/rubbing/scraping? I don't know much about mechanical things so sorry for the terrible descriptions. I can provide more info if need be or even replicate the sound the next time I am out.

Warm regards,
Brandon
This is a known issue on the Tremors but not sure why it would be affecting you. I get the same noise if I am backing up with the wheel cranked all the way to the right. There is a small plastic bar that runs horizontally in front of your tire (I think someone called it a "crash bar" or something to that effect) and the edge of the tire hits it. When you get a chance, park your car and turn the wheel full right. Then, get out and see how close you are to this plastic bar. I'm guessing that is your culprit.

I just happened to be at my Ford dealer this morning and asked the service advisor about it and he said it is common, especially when people switch out their tires on 150's and 250's. He also said some of them simply remove that plastic shield. Obviously, it doesn't have THAT much function, eh?

Good luck!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a known issue on the Tremors but not sure why it would be affecting you. I get the same noise if I am backing up with the wheel cranked all the way to the right. There is a small plastic bar that runs horizontally in front of your tire (I think someone called it a "crash bar" or something to that effect) and the edge of the tire hits it. When you get a chance, park your car and turn the wheel full right. Then, get out and see how close you are to this plastic bar. I'm guessing that is your culprit.

I just happened to be at my Ford dealer this morning and asked the service advisor about it and he said it is common, especially when people switch out their tires on 150's and 250's. He also said some of them simply remove that plastic shield. Obviously, it doesn't have THAT much function, eh?

Good luck!
He said it was metallic, crash bars rubbing sound like rubber on plastic, plus the non-tremor has 1-2" of crash bar clearance at full lock with stock tires.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

Good luck!
It definitely can seem like it could be the crash bar. I had a similar thought but didn't think I would have this problem being at full stock suspension/tires/wheels... I will heed your advice and check it out. Thank you.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
He said it was metallic, crash bars rubbing sound like rubber on plastic, plus the non-tremor has 1-2" of crash bar clearance at full lock with stock tires.
Yeah I will have to replicate the sound again to get a better sound or possibly even a sound clip. IIRC it is more metallic sounding but only at full turn, I think I apply slight brakes, but maybe I can get the sound to happen with no brakes applied and at slower speed. I will test around. Thank you for the theories

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
It definitely can seem like it could be the crash bar. I had a similar thought but didn't think I would have this problem being at full stock suspension/tires/wheels... I will heed your advice and check it out. Thank you.
When mine happens, it definitely sounds like a brake rotor. We had rust on our rotor of our SLK last year (from driving it too little!) and if you applied the brakes lightly, the sound was very similar to what this noise is in our Tremor.

Hope you get it resolved.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Factory crash bars have a plastic cover over them. If sand, dirt and debris get behind that cover it can force it out. Take a look at the covers and see if the plastic is scuffed from tire rub. Could be as simple as that

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Factory crash bars have a plastic cover over them. If sand, dirt and debris get behind that cover it can force it out. Take a look at the covers and see if the plastic is scuffed from tire rub. Could be as simple as that
Appreciate it, will check that out.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Put the truck into the position where it makes the sound and stop the truck right there and inspect the front for any evidence of anything rubbing. Also check the brake lines to make sure they are not pressing against the rotor dust shields when the wheels are at full lock. If they are and a dust shield is really close to the rotor, it can cause it to scrape. To fix that, gently bend the shield away from the rotor. Be sure to check the front air dam and make sure it's not scraping the sloped incline. Mine would do this very same thing when I was backing out of my driveway but only when I had the wheels cut. It stopped when I added a 2.5" leveling kit to the front.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
grease up your turn stops and get on truckin'

1626288441339.png

1626288458777.png
You know, I am not quite sure if this is legit advice or something along the lines of drinking Clorox with how often you prefer to use dry humor. :crackup:

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Put the truck into the position where it makes the sound and stop the truck right there and inspect the front for any evidence of anything rubbing. Also check the brake lines to make sure they are not pressing against the rotor dust shields when the wheels are at full lock. If they are and a dust shield is really close to the rotor, it can cause it to scrape. To fix that, gently bend the shield away from the rotor. Be sure to check the front air dam and make sure it's not scraping the sloped incline. Mine would do this very same thing when I was backing out of my driveway but only when I had the wheels cut. It stopped when I added a 2.5" leveling kit to the front.
Very good tips, I will have to do this on a cooler day, the ground is quite warm. Appreciate all the insight, I should be able to figure it all out with the different advice. I removed the air dam for the fx4 skid plate, so there's one checkmark on the list haha.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
If the Tremor has a 55 offset wheel with the almost 33" tires it's likely the tire rubbing on the frame. My 19' with Fox2.0 265/70/18s rubs the frame a very slight amount at full lock on occasion. Take a look at the frame where the tire would hit it if turned to full lock ( if turned full left look at the left tire where it's closest to the frame, same for right ) it's only the rear of the tire that touches.
Sponsored