First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Does anyone know how to enable the speedometer when using Waze in Android Auto? It appears in my phone app but not when connected to truck.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Does anyone know how to enable the speedometer when using Waze in Android Auto? It appears in my phone app but not when connected to truck.
Its a weird way of doing it but... Waze acts differently depending on how settings are applied. If standalone it’s one thing. If connected to App play another. Try working your settings when they are paired. You’re still going to be doing it all from the phone though. You will have everything but the map on handset. That’s how I got my preferences to stick

gasmanjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT FX4, '19 Beetle Final Edition
Occupation
Gas leak inspector
This seems to be an annoying Android Auto glitch. For me, it works the first time I open the app and use it. After stopping at a rest area or gas station (turning vehicle off, leaving phone connected) the speed display does not come back, just the +/- button for zoom. I have the speedometer option enabled in the app, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
This seems to be an annoying Android Auto glitch. For me, it works the first time I open the app and use it. After stopping at a rest area or gas station (turning vehicle off, leaving phone connected) the speed display does not come back, just the +/- button for zoom. I have the speedometer option enabled in the app, but it doesn't seem to matter.
Ahhh glitch mode! Yes familiar with that as well. Sometimes when pairing mine I get the same thing. Things will be missing or no report icon etc. I disconnect and then reconnect. It Re syncs and then all the functions work. Happens the most to me if I plug in my phone before starting truck. Just repair and off I go.

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
I'm having Waze problems too. Same as others, no speeds display and my direction arrow spins around pretty much all the time. It has been recommended to buy a new phone, not happening. I tried using an OEM cable and that made no difference at all. Has anyone tried uninstall then reinstalling Waze?
Another peeve of Sync 3. My sygic GPS, that I bought just because it is supposed to work with Sync, won't show up either

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'm having Waze problems too. Same as others, no speeds display and my direction arrow spins around pretty much all the time. It has been recommended to buy a new phone, not happening. I tried using an OEM cable and that made no difference at all. Has anyone tried uninstall then reinstalling Waze?
Have you simply tried google maps? If it's working fine it's probably a waze problem. If google maps also has issues then it's probably the phone. (I've had phones where the GPS just stopped working, so it is a thing.) If the only weird symptom is that the arrow doesn't seem to know which you're pointing, you might need to recalibrate the compass.

OP
OP
GitRDone

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I'm having Waze problems too. Same as others, no speeds display and my direction arrow spins around pretty much all the time.
Thanks for the replies guys, good to know others are experiencing glitches also. The spinning compass happened to me yesterday, but upon reconnecting the phone it was fine. As far as the Waze speedo, it would sure be handy on some of these country roads where the speed limit signs are infrequent. I will try messing with Waze settings on my phone while connected as suggested.

The other odd Waze annoyance is when I tried renaming some of my saved addresses, i.e. 3100 Ohio Ave to "John''s House". But then when I asked Waze to navigate to "John's house" it didn't know what that was. I had to specify the street address again to get it work. Am I missing something?

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Have you simply tried google maps? If it's working fine it's probably a waze problem. If google maps also has issues then it's probably the phone. (I've had phones where the GPS just stopped working, so it is a thing.) If the only weird symptom is that the arrow doesn't seem to know which you're pointing, you might need to recalibrate the compass.
Yea, crappy Google is working ok.
I tried a few diffent startups plugin before and after start and something else. It started slow, Waze would work, now I can't remember the last time I saw speed limit signs or any signs of other Wazee.
Gonna try to calibrate the compass on the phone asap.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I just noticed that waze lost the speedo on the sync screen. also at about the same time I noticed spotty position updating. was using it to navigate to a new city, and it had my position listed as NOTABLY farther back from my actual. to the extent that it looks like my upcoming turn is at the NEXT intersection, but NOPE, it's TURN RIGHT NOW YOU MORON!!!!!! and even at 20mph, the notification was too late for me to make the turn so then I have to drive around the block.

it's missing a lot of street names (contributes to the problem of not catching the correct turn) and it's also failing to notify of interstate exits until I'm right on top of them. there's less road clutter in that situation, so it's harder to confuse this exit with the next one, but I've absolutely noticed that waze is having problems lately.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Last version of Waze to update was 3 weeks ago. Ford Pass was 3 days ago. I had some odd behavior yesterday. Normally I drive with Waze active and radio plays in the background. Yesterday that was not the case at all. Would let me do one or the other. But... once I went to Home Screen on head unit and then called up Waze all the issues disappeared. Hasn’t been a problem here since doing that. All the functions work as they should. See if it does the same with yours.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last version of Waze to update was 3 weeks ago. Ford Pass was 3 days ago. I had some odd behavior yesterday. Normally I drive with Waze active and radio plays in the background. Yesterday that was not the case at all. Would let me do one or the other. But... once I went to Home Screen on head unit and then called up Waze all the issues disappeared. Hasn’t been a problem here since doing that. All the functions work as they should. See if it does the same with yours.
There are reports of waze+androidauto problems all over the internet, involving a bunch of different phones & vehicles. If yours is working that's great, but there's definitely something going on for a lot of people that google hasn't managed to fix and stuff like changing screens isn't going to help. The various symptoms are probably all related (the car isn't oriented right because waze is confused about which direction it's pointing, the display is choppy because waze is having trouble figuring out where it is and moves in jerks as it gets location info, and the speed limit/speedometer aren't displaying because...waze is having trouble figuring out where it is and thus the local speed limit as well as the speed of the vehicle). A lot of people started reporting problems after a set of android auto updates a few months ago (but obviously not everyone). It's been the case for years that waze doesn't initialize the location services as reliably as does google maps, and sometimes you can work around that by firing up google maps first and then waze (but not everyone and not always). Why things work fine for a while and then this same sort of problem periodically returns every couple of years is a mystery that only google might understand.

Also FWIW, looking at a program version is only marginally informative, because 1) a lot of interaction happens between apps, the android libraries on the phone, the play store libraries, and android auto services on the phone; you'd need to know all of those versions but 2) google activates & changes various features via cloud services, so even people with the same program versions on their device might have completely different experiences depending on what population google's put them into.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I don't drive every day and I certainly don't need to run nav every time I drive, either. so what I experienced last week could have been going on for awhile and I wouldn't have noticed.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't drive every day and I certainly don't need to run nav every time I drive, either. so what I experienced last week could have been going on for awhile and I wouldn't have noticed.
It was talked about in various forums before it hit me--part of what makes these issues so frustrating is that it's impossible to point to a specific time and say "it started then" because it affects different people at different times. So it could be that people are getting updates at different times, or there are distinct combinations of multiple pieces of software that cause problems, or there are completely different things leading to similar symptoms, or all of the above.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
It was talked about in various forums before it hit me--part of what makes these issues so frustrating is that it's impossible to point to a specific time and say "it started then" because it affects different people at different times. So it could be that people are getting updates at different times, or there are distinct combinations of multiple pieces of software that cause problems, or there are completely different things leading to similar symptoms, or all of the above.
yeah, definitely true. I've dealt with various flaky behaviors of various apps ever since I bought my first smartphone. said flaky behaviors come and go, so it's impossible to pin them down. my favorite waze misbehavior has been when it shows me going the wrong way on the wrong road, but my wife with the same model of phone has no problems whatsoever with the app. yet my phone continues to flip out even after a reboot. haven't had that one for a couple years now, thankfully.
Sponsored