DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I ran into this twice a long time back. My understanding is on the initial connection, the app has to fetch a certificate and that part of the process was failing. Are you on WiFi (phone) when you're trying to get it going? If so, you can killing the app, switching to cell network, then fire it up again. That worked for me once. The second time, I had previously tested with CarPlay, so I just deleted and re-paired the phone. That was it was a clean disable of CarPlay. Also worked.
Yes it has been in the garage still connected to wifi when I tried. I will give it a shot again and let you know. Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Wait.. am I reading correctly Waze will/can/may work on Sync3 without using Apple carplay or Android auto?

OP
OP
DrSafety

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wait.. am I reading correctly Waze will/can/may work on Sync3 without using Apple carplay or Android auto?
Well it is supposed to there are instructions on the Ford site. I however have had no joy in having it work.

OP
OP
DrSafety

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I ran into this twice a long time back. My understanding is on the initial connection, the app has to fetch a certificate and that part of the process was failing. Are you on WiFi (phone) when you're trying to get it going? If so, you can killing the app, switching to cell network, then fire it up again. That worked for me once. The second time, I had previously tested with CarPlay, so I just deleted and re-paired the phone. That was it was a clean disable of CarPlay. Also worked.
Well I tried in just on Cell Service no wifi. With the same issue waiting for device. I didn't have time to delete and repair the phone I will try that next and let you know the outcome.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
You can with iPhone. It requires you disable CarPlay. Then start the app on the phone and put it in the foreground. Leave the screen on. Go to the apps screen on SYNC, select Waze, then once it gets the cert, it'll ask you to allow access and that's it. The key is Apple requires anything pulling video to stay in the foreground, screen on. I just drop my brightness to min when I use it on the phone. I don't make calls in car almost ever either, so the issue of incoming call blocking the app in foreground isn't an issue. I only ever use the AppLink version as I'm a heavy USB music listener and I use voice for essentially everything. That's one benefit to it. Totally user dependent for which method is best.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I tried in just on Cell Service no wifi. With the same issue waiting for device. I didn't have time to delete and repair the phone I will try that next and let you know the outcome.
OK, maybe that'll help. Also double check you have the latest Waze app. There are still some app side glitches, but lately it's been pretty solid when I've used it.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you shouldn't try to use it while driving down the road.:rockon:

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Thanks @mike I must have completely overlooked the option to stop Waze navigation :facepalm:. Good to know in the future. I decided to go a few extra miles past the destination to someplace else and it was really annoying having Waze keep telling me to turn around at every intersection. :headbang:

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@UofMEngineer thanks! I have an Android phone, I don't think it'll work in that case but going to give it a try regardless. I really like to use Waze (mostly for traffic and to see where they are checking on speed lol) but don't really like how I have to have Android Auto on all of the time... or I should probably say, I am not a fan of how Sync deals with the integration by changing several menu options.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@UofMEngineer thanks! I have an Android phone, I don't think it'll work in that case but going to give it a try regardless. I really like to use Waze (mostly for traffic and to see where they are checking on speed lol) but don't really like how I have to have Android Auto on all of the time... or I should probably say, I am not a fan of how Sync deals with the integration by changing several menu options.
Yeah, I don't think the Nav apps currently work via AppLink on Android, so you're probably stuck using AA, or pushing prompts over Bluetooth and getting the notifications that way.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I don't think the Nav apps currently work via AppLink on Android, so you're probably stuck using AA, or pushing prompts over Bluetooth and getting the notifications that way.
Hmm that's actually not a bad idea. I usually stream music over my phone using bluetooth, but I have Waze's sounds off... guess if I turn them on, it would work in a similar way. Thanks :D

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Thanks @mike I must have completely overlooked the option to stop Waze navigation :facepalm:. Good to know in the future. I decided to go a few extra miles past the destination to someplace else and it was really annoying having Waze keep telling me to turn around at every intersection. :headbang:
No worries. It's not obvious and I had the same issue when I first started using the app. :)

OP
OP
DrSafety

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK, maybe that'll help. Also double check you have the latest Waze app. There are still some app side glitches, but lately it's been pretty solid when I've used it.
I have the latest version of the Waze App. I deleted and repaired the phone even shutting it down before I repaired it. Still get the same waiting for device message, unsure why this is occurring. I may reboot Sync 3 to see if that helps. Thanks for you help.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the latest version of the Waze App. I deleted and repaired the phone even shutting it down before I repaired it. Still get the same waiting for device message, unsure why this is occurring. I may reboot Sync 3 to see if that helps. Thanks for you help.
You can give a reset a try, won't hurt other than the annoyance of setting things up again. It's probably that same issue I had where it can't fetch the security cert for some reason. Other than that, you'd see it if the app wasn't started, or if it wasn't in the foreground. Only other times I've seen it and the app itself was responding.

Jon604

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mkz
Dr safety, did you resolve your Problem? I'm having the same issue. The phone screen will go black but the car screen just hangs on wait
Sponsored