DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have installed the Waze all led the instruction from Ford. It appears but when I open the app I get a screen that says it is waiting for device and the app never opens. Has anyone else had this and what is the solution.
Sponsored

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
I have installed the Waze all led the instruction from Ford. It appears but when I open the app I get a screen that says it is waiting for device and the app never opens. Has anyone else had this and what is the solution.
That’s happened to me before..when I get the waiting for device prompt..I normally unlock my phone and tap on the Waze app and than it shows up on the sync screen.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I can open WAZE and use but can not use all options. Can not have phone and big screen on at same time with WAZE.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Are you Android or Apple and do you have the phone plugged into the USB for Waze? Was the GPS already active on your phone when you tried? Check to see if your phone is waiting for a prompt from you to 'trade data' or something with the truck.

Has happened to me before - phone was waiting for my input with the screen in stand-bye so I did not see it. Also make sure you are using a 'good' USB cable that your phone likes. Not one that will give you a 'your phone is charging at a reduced rate' one. Apparently a lot of data is transferred between phone and Sync, more than Bluetooth bandwidth is capable of.

Have not had problems getting Waze to work on my Ranger. Plug phone in and Android Auto does the rest when I hit the map directions key on Sync3. I have yet to get Torque or other apps to show up in Sync. I'm able to run torque or other apps on phone, pull music from phone or separate USB hard drive and run Waze on Sync all at the same time.

I am impressed with Sync 3 so far. My previous vehicle had CD player that no longer worked, detachable face plate and not much else. May as well of had a cassette or 8 track player for all it lacked in technology.

OP
OP
DrSafety

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the comments received thus far. Here is more information on my part. iPhone 7 (IOS 12+), Latest Sync Update, phone plugged in with Apple cable, Apple Car Play off (per the Ford instructions - Yes I believe I can work it from Car Play haven't tried) Waze comes up in the Navigation pane. Click on Waze and I get waiting for device screen. Click on the Waze app and I get a screen on the iPhone that has the initials SDL and says locked for your safety. Go back to home screen on phone and banner across the top of the phone says Waze is using the device. However no input is being requested, iPhone settings have everything turned on for Waze. Does it have something to do with that lock screen?

If you any other suggestions, I am all ears. Like Gray Horizons I may give up on it.

I tell you all this clicking on the phone makes it hard to drive :shock: . Just kidding I was sitting in the driveway.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Are you Android or Apple and do you have the phone plugged into the USB for Waze? Was the GPS already active on your phone when you tried? Check to see if your phone is waiting for a prompt from you to 'trade data' or something with the truck.

Has happened to me before - phone was waiting for my input with the screen in stand-bye so I did not see it. Also make sure you are using a 'good' USB cable that your phone likes. Not one that will give you a 'your phone is charging at a reduced rate' one. Apparently a lot of data is transferred between phone and Sync, more than Bluetooth bandwidth is capable of.

Have not had problems getting Waze to work on my Ranger. Plug phone in and Android Auto does the rest when I hit the map directions key on Sync3. I have yet to get Torque or other apps to show up in Sync. I'm able to run torque or other apps on phone, pull music from phone or separate USB hard drive and run Waze on Sync all at the same time.

I am impressed with Sync 3 so far. My previous vehicle had CD player that no longer worked, detachable face plate and not much else. May as well of had a cassette or 8 track player for all it lacked in technology.
When it is in WAZE, can you enter a hazard, type area on the Ranger screen? I can enter a hazard but no details. Waze works but not as well as on my phone. Plugged into USB with good cable and Apple phone.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Sorry @DrSafety not sure how much help I can be since I am not a part of the Apple world. I have only tried the USB on the passenger side. Don't know if it makes a difference which one to use. You could try it with the Apple Car Play even though you say Ford says not to. What have ya got to lose?

I have not delved into the options on the truck to setup up any apps on it. When I scan it says none found on my phone. There are further options in the settings I have not messed with.

@Sandman Ranger I believe that the Waze on Sync is not as full featured as on the phone. I don't use many functions but the few I do seem to work. Just did a test out in the carport and I do get the options for hazards and such. Then a further screen to further identity the type of hazard more. Not used that feature to send a hazard yet since playing with Sync. Normally if there is a hazard I will confirm it. But don't really type in a new hazard because by the time I do it is already well behind me - slow typer.

I do wish there was a way to easily cancel a destination and just let Waze freewheel GPS. For when you decide you no longer wish to go there and just drive on somewhere else. My Favorites are accessable as well as being able to type words in the search box onscreen of Sync. Tried out the voice search today and it worked alright.

When I plug my phone in it will ask me if I want to share USB data or something. If I click yes then it kicks me out of using Waze and I have to disconnect phone then reconnect. If I click Cancel then Waze work fine. Sometimes on Sync I have to hit the Right Turn sign a second time because Android Auto user face kicked in. At times I am given the option of Waze or Maps (guess Google Maps - not tried it).

I'm still learning this too so hopefully some part of my ramblings can be found helpful. At the very least misery loves company and you know you are not the only one with issues. I agree some things could be more user friendly and hopefully a software update or two will help sort out our problems.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase

Turn on your apple car play and everything works fine. If you are using the apps screen with Bluetooth, then you have to start Waze on the phone before starting the app on the radio.

OP
OP
DrSafety

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Turn on your apple car play and everything works fine. If you are using the apps screen with Bluetooth, then you have to start Waze on the phone before starting the app on the radio.
Thanks Dan. Yes I know it will work there I was just hoping not to have to use the car play interface. It is nice to have Waze show as the navigation button (since I don't have the nav built in). Not using it via blue tooth it is plugged in.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Dan. Yes I know it will work there I was just hoping not to have to use the car play interface. It is nice to have Waze show as the navigation button (since I don't have the nav built in). Not using it via blue tooth it is plugged in.
I just tried this again you need to turn off apple car play, plug in your phone and then use the apps and you can select between Waze and sync.

OP
OP
DrSafety

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just tried this again you need to turn off apple car play, plug in your phone and then use the apps and you can select between Waze and sync.
Thanks Dan that is exactly what I did the app shows up but when I try and open it all I get is a "waiting for device " screen on sync and I have left it for 5 minutes thinking it needed time. I am.going explore the settings in sync and phone and app when i have time

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue

I do wish there was a way to easily cancel a destination and just let Waze freewheel GPS. For when you decide you no longer wish to go there and just drive on somewhere else. My Favorites are accessable as well as being able to type words in the search box onscreen of Sync. Tried out the voice search today and it worked alright.

When I plug my phone in it will ask me if I want to share USB data or something. If I click yes then it kicks me out of using Waze and I have to disconnect phone then reconnect. If I click Cancel then Waze work fine. Sometimes on Sync I have to hit the Right Turn sign a second time because Android Auto user face kicked in. At times I am given the option of Waze or Maps (guess Google Maps - not tried it).
Rick, if you have not already figured it out, there is a way to cancel a destination.

Forgot to point in this picture, but see the arrow with the estimated time? Press that and it will bring up the next screen.

20190816_152429.jpg

Just oress stop to cancel the current route.
20190816_152458.jpg

I have my Android car play setup and had some screenshots in another thread of my settings. Overall, my AA experience is pretty smooth once I plug in my phone.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Thanks Dan that is exactly what I did the app shows up but when I try and open it all I get is a "waiting for device " screen on sync and I have left it for 5 minutes thinking it needed time. I am.going explore the settings in sync and phone and app when i have time
Do you have Waze running in the foreground on the phone, screen on?

OP
OP
DrSafety

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have Waze running in the foreground on the phone, screen on?
Yes I did. Still doesn't work. Just get the screen waiting for device. When that happens the SDL lock screen in the Waze app and nothing happens. I haven't tried in a bit as I have been using through Apple Car Play. I have heard that I just need to keep trying several times and then it will connect. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Yes I did. Still doesn't work. Just get the screen waiting for device. When that happens the SDL lock screen in the Waze app and nothing happens. I haven't tried in a bit as I have been using through Apple Car Play. I have heard that I just need to keep trying several times and then it will connect. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
I ran into this twice a long time back. My understanding is on the initial connection, the app has to fetch a certificate and that part of the process was failing. Are you on WiFi (phone) when you're trying to get it going? If so, you can killing the app, switching to cell network, then fire it up again. That worked for me once. The second time, I had previously tested with CarPlay, so I just deleted and re-paired the phone. That was it was a clean disable of CarPlay. Also worked.
Sponsored