Wanted to buy a Bronco but left with a new 2020 High Performance Stick shift Mustang instead

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I’m curious about your comparison to the 5.0 vs the HPP ecoboost. Why didn’t you get the GT? Not much of a weight difference but 130 more hp. I’m in the market right now so that’s why I am asking.
Having driven both quite a bit they are very different. Not that one is necessarily better than the other, but just a different overall feel. I think part of it is the mind wanting to hear and feel the rumble of the coyote. For me the GT is the way to go, but if you are looking for an economical yet still performance minded daily driver then the 2.3 is a great option. Just my $.02. Best thing to do is spend some time driving both.
Sponsored

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Congrats! You will definitely have fun. Below is my 2016 GT. The Eco Boost is not a match for the GT at the track though. Yes, the nose is lighter on the Eco Boost, but that can be fixed on the GT with some suspension tweaks plus wheels and tires. The additional ponies of the V8 can't be overcome with the Eco Boost on the track as well. Regardless, it still does well. I think where the Eco Boost really shines is autocross.
IMG_1950.jpg
I

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
What a beauty, you'll gonna love that Mustang. This is the wife's 3rd, and I don't think I'll ever get her out of one. I will say that this is the best Mustang she's had. It's leaps, and bound better than her previous '13. Yeah it's an auto. She can drive a stick, but she ain't gonna. :)

100_4358.JPG

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Having driven both quite a bit they are very different. Not that one is necessarily better than the other, but just a different overall feel. I think part of it is the mind wanting to hear and feel the rumble of the coyote. For me the GT is the way to go, but if you are looking for an economical yet still performance minded daily driver then the 2.3 is a great option. Just my $.02. Best thing to do is spend some time driving both.
I agree. The first Mustang the wife test drove was a '10 3.7L V6. It was a very nice car, but I wanted her to drive the GT before she made her final decision. We weren't a mile out in the GT, and she commented on how much different the overall feel was. When we returned to the lot we order the GT.

Now don't get me wrong, there's is absolutely nothing wrong with the EcoBoost Mustang. As @TBR17 suggested, drive both before you make your final decision.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
The other thing I will say about the eco is this. If you get one, don't overlook a "mild" tune. Maybe the high performance version is different, but in stock form, they fall on their face after about 4500 rpm. The dyno curves look terrible. A mild tune, even the warrantied ford performance tune really changes that. I've only made a couple pulls on my new 93 octane tune, but it's a completely different (better) animal than stock. I plan on making the jump to e30 here soon for a little more oomph.

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I traded this for the Ranger and have no regrets!. ‘18 GT manual

A99E967E-D4EA-434C-9BC0-DF738E12C300.jpeg

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. I’ve read all about the HPP. I wonder how much hp you can get with bolt ons and a tune through Cobb. I get all the options I want if I got that vs a GT.
Go to unleashed..Torrie has been the best Ford Tuner for Years ...
Regards
Doc
Edit:
Heres the Unleashed Tune in my Ranger by Torrie.
No Mods ...93 Octane Stock 388 lb/ft Torque ..
7B0C1270-DF7C-4DF0-B8A0-C836A9BBB605.jpeg

Last edited:

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful Car !
Thanks! It was fun (2.5 years of ownership) and served its purpose, but I'm loving the Ranger and its practicality!

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
Congrats! You will definitely have fun. Below is my 2016 GT. The Eco Boost is not a match for the GT at the track though. Yes, the nose is lighter on the Eco Boost, but that can be fixed on the GT with some suspension tweaks plus wheels and tires. The additional ponies of the V8 can't be overcome with the Eco Boost on the track as well. Regardless, it still does well. I think where the Eco Boost really shines is autocross.
IMG_1950.jpg
I
Very nice, looks very close to mine with probably very similar mods. Not too many problems with other cars in the power or handling department. Your screen name sounds awfully familiar from another forum.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Go to unleashed..Torrie has been the best Ford Tuner for Years ...
Regards
Doc
Edit:
Heres the Unleashed Tune in my Ranger by Torrie.
No Mods ...93 Octane Stock 388 lb/ft Torque ..
7B0C1270-DF7C-4DF0-B8A0-C836A9BBB605.jpeg
I'm strongly considering going to Torrie for my mustang, provided he can do e30. He definitely has a great reputation.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I find it strange when I hear of someone going to buy a particular vehicle & leaving with
something else. When I buy it's what I believe to be , keep till the wheels fall off. So I know/want that
particular vehicle. If your just going to buy something I can understand.
Having said that, I do love Mustangs, with V8, love the sound.
V8 or eco, I have no opinion as you should buy for what you want.
I bought a BRZ because I like small/light weight/handling. Reminds me of the 60/70 British cars, but
with reliability.

Nice choice OP.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I find it strange when I hear of someone going to buy a particular vehicle & leaving with
something else. When I buy it's what I believe to be , keep till the wheels fall off. So I know/want that
particular vehicle. If your just going to buy something I can understand.
Having said that, I do love Mustangs, with V8, love the sound.
V8 or eco, I have no opinion as you should buy for what you want.
I bought a BRZ because I like small/light weight/handling. Reminds me of the 60/70 British cars, but
with reliability.

Nice choice OP.
I also don't understand this.

My vehicle buying process involves literally months of research, hemming and hawing, and agony before I even step foot on the dealership lot.

And wanted to buy a Bronco? A tiny bit of research would tell anybody that none have even been built yet, let alone one to buy. It's pretty common knowledge that virtually all first year Broncos will be customer ordered. There won't be any on the lots to buy.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Nice looking Stang! I've been eyeing those up myself recently.
The problem is, you're going to be very disappointed and wish you bought the Bronco, the first time you take that off road. :p
Sponsored