Vibration at take off

Deleted member 1634

Interesting, the first place I heard about this problem were all the articles written about it recently, citing this forum as a source. So either I don't have this problem, or I've never noticed it. I'm hoping it's the former. If it's the latter, then I'd like to sarcastically thank all of you for now bringing it to my attention so I can obsess over it for every waking moment that I own the truck. haha
Sponsored

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Mine only shows up under low speed take-off from a start. As in, < 10mph. It's sort of a weird shutter. Go out for a drive and try it for yourself. Let the obsessing commence!

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting, the first place I heard about this problem were all the articles written about it recently, citing this forum as a source. So either I don't have this problem, or I've never noticed it. I'm hoping it's the former. If it's the latter, then I'd like to sarcastically thank all of you for now bringing it to my attention so I can obsess over it for every waking moment that I own the truck. haha
Hahah I know what you mean. I really don't have an issue, but people talk on the internet and you get in your truck and then you think "oh my god I feel it." I think a lot of the discussion is making people pay more attention to vibration than they normally might. Personally, my truck is fine, and I think I feel it a little when I gas it from a stop while turning. I would assume it's because there's a little more load on the drive shaft then. Would be the same if towing a load. That's about it though. I'm not worrying about it or obsessing over it if it's not going to hurt anything.

Deleted member 1634

Hahah I know what you mean. I really don't have an issue, but people talk on the internet and you get in your truck and then you think "oh my god I feel it." I think a lot of the discussion is making people pay more attention to vibration than they normally might. Personally, my truck is fine, and I think I feel it a little when I gas it from a stop while turning. I would assume it's because there's a little more load on the drive shaft then. Would be the same if towing a load. That's about it though. I'm not worrying about it or obsessing over it if it's not going to hurt anything.
Yeah, I guess that's kind of my backdoor point, that if it's not immediately noticeable and in my face, then I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all (still not sure if I will, haven't tried yet), and if I would've never noticed it at all, then was/is it really a problem? Especially if the main argument is that "I don't like how it feels or sounds", as opposed to an actual imminent mechanical failure (or at least that's the way it seems). Seems like a couple people didn't like the vibration, which infected other people into thinking "well he doesn't like it, maybe I shouldn't like it either", and then all of a sudden the internet "media" gets ahold of it and before we know it the whole Ranger brand is now blackmarked as being horrible and insinuating that every Ranger owner hates their truck. Sure, we know better, but that person who was on the fence may have just went and bought a Colorado because of it.

In the end, if you are looking for problems, then you're always going to find something, because nothing is perfect.

EDIT: This ended up being more of a rant about all the internet "articles" regarding this issue than the actual issue, but still. haha

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I had a mild shudder on take off with my tires at 34 PSI, i aired them down to the recommended 30 psi and the shudder went away and the ride is much better. i have the bridgestone tires on a 4x4 model

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
My Lariat shudders pretty bad most of the time, but then once in awhile it will not. I don't understand what is going on. I would think if it were the driveshaft, it would be consistent. I am now wondering if it is something else. Have any of you contacted Ford Customer Care about it to see what they say? I think this is a really fine truck. If Ford would address and fix this shudder, they would have knocked it out of the ball park with this truck.

Last edited:

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
My Lariat shudders pretty bad most of the time, but then once in awhile it will not. I don't understand what is going on. I would think if it were the driveshaft, it would be consistent. I am now wondering if it is something else. Have any of you contacted Ford Customer Care about it to see what they say?
Do you have a 4x4 or 4x2?

I test drove only 4x2s and thought they drove smooth, from three different dealers. Then decided last minute on a 4x4. I drove two xlts back to back and I noticed the shudder immediately and even mentioned it but the dealer said he didn’t feel anything.

i was in impulse buy mode after losing two other ones I wanted and so didn’t put much thought into it.

It was only on the drive home at 1130pm that I truly noticed it and panic’d - but after deflating the tires it helped some. Now after reading about the drive shaft I’m not too bothered by it. It’s pretty regular.

but for a while I thought it was the injectors. Or engine stumble. Or octane.

just nature of truck I guess.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
No problems with shimmy, shutter, vibration or anything before or after my fabtech level kit, new mud terrain big horn tires , or my ultra nemesis 17x9 wheels. The road condition does cause very minor passenger seat vibration once in awhile but goes away almost immediately. Alignments front and rear may be part of the problems along with balancing of the tires ect...
I disregard the 30 pound recommended tire pressure by Ford and keep 35 lbs all around gives a nice firm but easy ride. I like a firm ride , to each His own.
Everyone enjoy their new year in our great big wonderful country we have been blessed to be residing in!
1105191017_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Hey man that is a great comment it has me rolling on the floor HAAAAAAAAAAAA

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you have a 4x4 or 4x2?

I test drove only 4x2s and thought they drove smooth, from three different dealers. Then decided last minute on a 4x4. I drove two xlts back to back and I noticed the shudder immediately and even mentioned it but the dealer said he didn’t feel anything.

i was in impulse buy mode after losing two other ones I wanted and so didn’t put much thought into it.

It was only on the drive home at 1130pm that I truly noticed it and panic’d - but after deflating the tires it helped some. Now after reading about the drive shaft I’m not too bothered by it. It’s pretty regular.

but for a while I thought it was the injectors. Or engine stumble. Or octane.

just nature of truck I guess.
Mine is a 4X4

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Ford Customer Service - ‭1 (800) 392-3673‬

Get your complaints on file, it will help us all.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I agree. If all that have it will complain, then Ford will have a better idea of how significant this is.

Last edited:

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Kieefer, did you contact Ford Customer Service about this? If so, what kind of response did you receive? I plan to contact them, but I have another issue (poor leather seats) that I am working with them right now. I plan to contact them about the transmission/driveshaft vibration as soon as I get the seat issue out of the way. I am just curious as to what kind of response you got from them. Thanks!

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Kieefer, did you contact Ford Customer Service about this? If so, what kind of response did you receive? I plan to contact them, but I have another issue (poor leather seats) that I am working with them right now. I plan to contact them about the transmission/driveshaft vibration as soon as I get the seat issue out of the way. I am just curious as to what kind of response you got from them. Thanks!
Yes.
I mentioned both “bugs” 1500-2500 rpm vibration and the baggy leather seats. The lady at CS said that she had logged complaints about the vibration but hasn’t heard of the baggy leather.
She was very polite and concerned about my concerns and told me that when my VIN# is pulled up at a dealership that they will see the complaints filed.

I’m hoping to get to the dealership next week for an oil change, rotate and balance. That should use up the rest of my points. I was going to address the leather but wait and see after the wheel balance to address the vibs.

My vibs actually seems to be intermitting, almost have to look for it rather than noticing it daily. Coming up on 10k miles.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes.
I mentioned both “bugs” 1500-2500 rpm vibration and the baggy leather seats. The lady at CS said that she had logged complaints about the vibration but hasn’t heard of the baggy leather.
She was very polite and concerned about my concerns and told me that when my VIN# is pulled up at a dealership that they will see the complaints filed.

I’m hoping to get to the dealership next week for an oil change, rotate and balance. That should use up the rest of my points. I was going to address the leather but wait and see after the wheel balance to address the vibs.

My vibs actually seems to be intermitting, almost have to look for it rather than noticing it daily. Coming up on 10k miles.
Thanks for the information. I will post the results of my seat cover replacement after it happens on Jan 23. My vibration seems to be worse some days than others. It also is intermittent which I don't understand. Sometimes I really believe it is not there and more frequently it is very noticeable under medium load acceleration.
Sponsored