Using 4 wheel drive

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have a Ranger Lariat. I was driving in a thunderstorm last week and decided to try to use the 4 wheel drive in the truck. I used the knob, switched to 4H and drove for a few miles then wanted to return to 2 wheel drive. This was the first time for me so I don't know what to expect. The Ranger went into 4H seamlessly, but when I wanted to switch back to regular drive...the truck seemed to hang up a bit leaving the 4H. After a few seconds, more then going into the 4H, it returned to 2 wheel. Is this normal? I first thought it was going to stay in 4H.
Sponsored

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Ranger Lariat. I was driving in a thunderstorm last week and decided to try to use the 4 wheel drive in the truck. I used the knob, switched to 4H and drove for a few miles then wanted to return to 2 wheel drive. This was the first time for me so I don't know what to expect. The Ranger went into 4H seamlessly, but when I wanted to switch back to regular drive...the truck seemed to hang up a bit leaving the 4H. After a few seconds, more then going into the 4H, it returned to 2 wheel. Is this normal? I first thought it was going to stay in 4H.
I wouldn't recommend using 4h on pavement. Even if its raining. Only time I would consider using 4h is if there is heavy snowfall. This could create binding.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Sound like it was working. Sometimes it takes a second to disengage. But - The Ranger uses part time 4wd. It is not designed for pavement use. It can create binding and driveline havoc. Longtime Jeep owner and off-roader, use it sparingly and go back to 2wd.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
If you're not going in a straight line on pavement. Can cause binding. At the end of the day its your truck. I'll stick to 4h on dirt and snow.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
We have lots of dirt and gravel roads and parking areas. Nearly every time I drive over one, I switch to 4HI just to exercise the transfer case. As has been mentioned, it won’t shift back to 2WD if there is a load on the drivetrain. As soon as you get off the gas, it should shift.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Interestingly, the manual contradicts itself on the same page... ?‍♂
Screenshot_20200805-080232_Adobe Acrobat~2.jpg

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
As others have noted, it won't shift in either direction while under load. I usually let off a little bit when switching. I wouldn't expect instantaneous engagement from any system, let alone the 4WD system.

As far as driving on pavement in 4WD (which is not part of what you asked despite people bringing it up and wanting to lecture you on your "mistakes"), do what you want. It's your truck. Enjoy it.
When did trying to help someone become a bad thing?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Thank you for this! A little late once it's printed since you only get one with the vehicle. I feel most people wouldn't bother looking it up online. :headbang:
The first printing of the ranger manual was bad to the point that people should just assume it's wrong and check the online version. I guess ford could send everyone a new one, but we all know that most of the manuals will never be opened.

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
It was raining so hard, that the road was basically under water. I did drive slower and at a constant speed. I felt it was ok to engage the 4 wheel drive (in this rain) because the tires could slide and slip. The drive was just to engage and disengage. I didn't trust the rain to maintain that volume of water and didn't want to get on dry roadway. These comments were useful to help me understand what I should expect. I don't climb mountains or drive across rivers... just haul that bulldog and stuff for the yard. I have 2 kids that do all that. In a couple of years...they'll get this great truck. I just don't want to ruin it before hand. Appreciate all the knowledge.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I sometimes have experienced a delay while shifting "on the fly". I now let off the gas for a moment when I shift to give gears a chance to mesh (I realize the difference between mechanical and electronic, but I am an analog guy in a digital world).

Using 4x4 on wet pavement will give you some traction advantage on acceleration and on engine braking, but 4x4 will not help in any way when you have to slam on the brakes.

I do not believe that intermittent use of 4x4 on rainy pavement really causes any real issues with suspension wear or any drama of that kind. If so, it would be only marginal. The only real problem is that it will wear your front tires faster than you like, and that is a wallet-hit you may want to avoid.
Sponsored