Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Sound like it was working. Sometimes it takes a second to disengage. But - The Ranger uses part time 4wd. It is not designed for pavement use. It can create binding and driveline havoc. Longtime Jeep owner and off-roader, use it sparingly and go back to 2wd.
I'm not sure what you mean here. The Ranger is not an "auto" 4wd vehicle with "full-time" or always-on 4x4 mode, it is controlled strictly by your transfer case selection between 2wd or 4wd.

As for the issue here, on wet pavement it's not a huge deal, but don't do it at length unless the road is especially slippery. Dry/hard pavement in 4wd has the possibility of leading to binding in the driveline which can cause catastrophic failures (don't worry - occasionally bumping or using it won't hurt it, but regular use will).
Sponsored

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I'm not sure what you mean here. The Ranger is not an "auto" 4wd vehicle with "full-time" or always-on 4x4 mode, it is controlled strictly by your transfer case selection between 2wd or 4wd.

As for the issue here, on wet pavement it's not a huge deal, but don't do it at length unless the road is especially slippery. Dry/hard pavement in 4wd has the possibility of leading to binding in the driveline which can cause catastrophic failures (don't worry - occasionally bumping or using it won't hurt it, but regular use will).
I mean exactly what I typed and you repeated. That the transfer case is a PART -TIME 4wd system, for use only in slippery situations. Your explanation is mostly the definition of what part-time means; controlled by the selector knob either full 4 wheels powered, or only the rear wheels.