[Updated] Ranger Ford Performance Power Pack Performance Tune Software (M-9603-REB) Released!

19Bluecrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Supercrew Ranger
Occupation
Houseboy
I have not lost any mpg with the FPP tune. I average 22 to 23 mpg, with a mix of in town and highway driving. I do make a conscious effort to drive with a light foot. That includes longish coast down to stops, and setting the cruise control to 65mph in most cases. I do on occasion stomp the gas pedal to the floor, but only with good reason. My days of quick/fast driving seem to be behind me.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I know that Ford Performance does a good job with their tunes. Living in SoCal, I chose one of their tunes for my Mustang GT that included an intake manifold and throttle body change. It performs well at the track, it's C.A.R.B. compliant, and I don't have to worry about the hassle of switching everything back to stock and flashing back to stock tune for a smog test.

I was going to purchase the Ford Performance tune for my Ranger, however, since there aren't any other parts being modified, I decided that I want to get the Livernois tune instead. All it will require is a flash back to stock when the time comes to smog it. I like the fact that they have the options such as soft shift and tow.
it really only takes about 2-3 minutes to flash back to the stock tune or any of their tunes. When you upload your stock tune to them that will take around 20-25 minutes because there are so many blocks to upload. What I like about Livernois is you get ALL their tunes plus any future tunes for no additional cost. Plus if you sell your Ranger and get something else they will re-tune your MyCal for free, you just pay the shipping cost. Their customer service has been exceptional too.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I am having the same experience, really enjoying the boost in power and torque, and the way the tune eliminates the hesitation between gears. So much so, I notice that I hardly ever put it in "Sport" mode anymore--it has become "sporty" enough without it. But, yeah, three to four miles per gallon is lost on average, which is a price I am willing to pay. So far, I have left the K&N in, but after hearing all the negative posts about it, which do seem to make sense to me, I will be going back to stock the next time I have some work done on the truck.
You all lose 3-4 in interstate?
Should not with most tunes driving with cruise control. Heavy foot, yes.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
The FPP tune compares well to the Livernois 91/93 tune. I own both and have dyno’d both. The Livernois tune has 4 more peak wheel horsepower and 28 more lb/ft of torque. But the FPP tune has a flatter torque curve and better (smoother) shifting. Both tunes increase the maximum boost to 20/21 pounds using an OBD2 Bluetooth gauge on my phone. Keep in mind all of our Rangers may respond differently and will have different numbers. I actually prefer the Ford tune because of it’s better drive-ability on my truck. They both have very noticeable improvements in acceleration and “pull”. And I could not tell the difference between the two using my butt dyno.
28tq is a pretty big difference. Also, Livernois offers a soft shift tune in addition to their regular 91/93 tune and a towing tune. The soft shift is more like stock and the performance tune is like being in S the whole time. Haven't tried the towing tune. Also they make periodic updates to the tune and calibrator software. They will also send you revised tunes if you install other mods on the truck

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I know that Ford Performance does a good job with their tunes. Living in SoCal, I chose one of their tunes for my Mustang GT that included an intake manifold and throttle body change. It performs well at the track, it's C.A.R.B. compliant, and I don't have to worry about the hassle of switching everything back to stock and flashing back to stock tune for a smog test.

I was going to purchase the Ford Performance tune for my Ranger, however, since there aren't any other parts being modified, I decided that I want to get the Livernois tune instead. All it will require is a flash back to stock when the time comes to smog it. I like the fact that they have the options such as soft shift and tow.
I'm going to try to smog mine with the tune on it. There is no sniffer anymore in CA for newer vehicles and they just plug in to the OBD port and as long as there is no check engine light you are good to go.

Unless there something I am missing? Does the smog machine read a code or something that tells it not carb compliant and fails?

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I'm going to try to smog mine with the tune on it. There is no sniffer anymore in CA for newer vehicles and they just plug in to the OBD port and as long as there is no check engine light you are good to go.

Unless there something I am missing? Does the smog machine read a code or something that tells it not carb compliant and fails?
Honestly, I'm not sure. You still have to pass a visual, though that's not a big deal unless you made an equipment change. I know that they can fail you for having a catch can.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
28tq is a pretty big difference. Also, Livernois offers a soft shift tune in addition to their regular 91/93 tune and a towing tune. The soft shift is more like stock and the performance tune is like being in S the whole time. Haven't tried the towing tune. Also they make periodic updates to the tune and calibrator software. They will also send you revised tunes if you install other mods on the truck
I agree. I've been running the 91 to 93 soft shift for awhile now. The shifting is much smoother then the performance shift but the power is there if you want it. if I need more performance I just put it in sports mode and it gives me more than I need! That coupled with the great service from Livernois and it's a tough tune to beat.

Scott

Reactions: Doc

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Keep in mind the mid-september fuel blends to winter formulas mean a loss of efficiency until next spring.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
The "Soft Shift" tune was still too harsh for me. Livernois did update my stock tune to the latest tune and update my performance tunes. But the shifting was just not to my liking. Might just be my particular truck. Their customer service is great though. But not every tune is for everybody. The difference in the two tunes was not noticeable to me. Other than the improved driveability of the FPP tune.

Goodrx

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The "Soft Shift" tune was still too harsh for me. Livernois did update my stock tune to the latest tune and update my performance tunes. But the shifting was just not to my liking. Might just be my particular truck. Their customer service is great though. But not every tune is for everybody. The difference in the two tunes was not noticeable to me. Other than the improved driveability of the FPP tune.
Was the shifting too jerky?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
You all lose 3-4 in interstate?
Should not with most tunes driving with cruise control. Heavy foot, yes.
Well, another factor is, with the pandemic and working from home, I hardly ever go on the freeways/interstate anymore. I am basically just doing short, hilly runs to local hiking spots and a few local errands such as dropping stuff off at Goodwill, buying gas, mailing letters, getting take-out meals. That is why I would not want to blame the FP tune alone for the loss of MPG, not until there is some more solid evidence beyond my complicated personal experience. I expect that my mileage, along with a lot of other things, will improve once the pandemic is over, hopefully sometime this spring. And, yeah, "heavy foot," for sure, I admit to owning one....

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
After getting the Livermore tune in place, all I can say is that any loss on MPG is caused by tromping the pedal too much. :giggle:

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Was the shifting too jerky?
It would "Clunk" shifting to 3rd and 4th. But to varying degrees. Just did not sound or feel like the transmission was liking it. Both the 91/93 and Soft Shift tunes. Livernois did try to change things and I believe they would have worked with me no matter how long I wanted to mess with it. Other things came up and I had to move on. I may revisit in the future.
I have zero complaints about Livernois. We both agreed that my truck was just having issues with something the tune affected.

Edit: I will add that I think Livernois is the company FPP turned to for the Ford Performance tune. So it is odd for sure that I would have issues. For now the truck performs well they way it is tuned. Surprising how hard it pulls for a four cylinder engine.

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Is the decline in mpg because of driving habits? Do you have stock tires?
Stock tires. I must admit it is hard not to drive more aggressively. However for a full tank of gas I drove very conservatively and notice the reduced mileage. Going in soon for my first oil change soon and I may have them check it out.

Last edited:
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
It would "Clunk" shifting to 3rd and 4th. But to varying degrees. Just did not sound or feel like the transmission was liking it. Both the 91/93 and Soft Shift tunes. Livernois did try to change things and I believe they would have worked with me no matter how long I wanted to mess with it. Other things came up and I had to move on. I may revisit in the future.
I have zero complaints about Livernois. We both agreed that my truck was just having issues with something the tune affected.

Edit: I will add that I think Livernois is the company FPP turned to for the Ford Performance tune. So it is odd for sure that I would have issues. For now the truck performs well they way it is tuned. Surprising how hard it pulls for a four cylinder engine.
I think you're right. Got my FP tune kit over the weekend. Went to their website, provided all the required information and downloaded to my PC. When I hooked up the ProCal to my PC and it came to life for the first time, the screen read Livernois. I was pretty surprised.
Sponsored