Ughhhhhhhh. Trucks, HOAs, and Garages...

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
John you'll just have to sell the Ranger and get a golf cart now. Soon enough you'll have a whole bunch of new friends and this will be your DD. ?

Golf Carts.jpg
aaahhhh the dream
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Well good that you became aware of the HOA rules prior to purchasing a home in a HOA community - many times people don't, then they complain about rules that were created by the HOA members - yes people forget that the residents create those HOA charters and residents have the ability to change them. So you might not want to live amongst those type of people anyways. Had to laugh at some people that moved from Texas to a HOA governed community in the Denver area that prohibited parking pickups on the street - of course they bitterly complained but admitted they never bothered to read the bylaws prior to moving - and then they have the audacity (read ignorance) to p*ss and moan about it.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm looking around now for a house an I do not want to deal with an HOA. I try to keep my lawn nice an not be an embarrassment to my neighborhood but I also enjoy my loud Harley an beating on cars an trucks in my garage. Right now I'm in a condo with a 1 car garage. The main reason for me to move is more garage/barn space. I liked the condo because I was a mail carrier an hated being out in the heat all day an coming home to yard work an exterior maint. It worked out well because my parents got ill an I maintained their property for 3 years or so.

I'm right on Lake Erie so boating is big around here. Several nice homes also have an oversized garage door and area for people that want to bring their boat home, maybe you can find something like that.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
John,
Congratulations on your move. I went through the garage size issue also. I was looking for an F-150 and before buying the Ranger decided to measure my garage in the interim...would have only had a 1/2" clearance from from the front to the back of the garage. My Townhouse was built in 1985 and too small for that size of truck...however the Ranger fits in perfectly (not lifted but the oversize tires raise the Ranger approx. 1.5'' higher than stock) but the tip of the antenna will hit the arm on the garage door opener if I pull in and they are in alignment with each other, so I have a marker for parking in the garage that keeps them from coming together.

I was trying to sell Mom's house after she passed and the buyer noticed that the garage door height was lower than standard and only a small vehicle would fit it. A bad selling point but with some negotiation got it sold. From my experience, I would definately measure the height and width of the garage door open and also the length and width the garage itself before deciding. I measured with the consideratation of possibly needing to park another car in there, a workshop area, storage space, etc.

When we were looking for the house that I am in now, the majority of the houses that looked like good prospects required HOA's and fortunately mine did not. I did some research on them and there have been a lot of lawsuits and owner disatisfaction over their rules, services and upkeep. Probably some have worked out without issues, but I would try to stay away from them if possible. Let us know how everything works out for you guys :)

Antenna clearance.jpg

Last edited:

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in Broward County and I live in an HOA. It sucks! If I could find a decent home with no HOA, I’d move. My HOA says no trucks of any kind are allowed, but I have not been challenged on it yet. I guess enforcement of the HOA “rules” is hit or miss, depending on who’s on your board. Yamato Road in Boca is often a traffic nightmare. Good luck with that. Worst drivers in the US live here in South Florida.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like my wife and I may be relocating from Marietta, GA to Boca Raton, FL - and because of that we've started looking for a home on Zillow. Most of the homes we've looked at are in HOA/country club communities, and I've started poking around and reading some the HOA rules. One home we liked had an HOA rule of no trucks, vans, commercial vehicles in the driveway - including non-commercial pick-up trucks. So it looks like I need to measure the overall height of my truck and bring a tape measure with me to Florida when we look at homes. Arghhhhhhhhh.

Anybody here with a lifted Ranger able to cram their Ranger into their garage? I have a 3.5" lift and RTT mounted!!!!! I don't think mine fits in my current home's garage.
2021-07-24 09.54.29.jpg

2021-07-24 09.54.51.jpg
Mine's 2.5" level with 285s and still fit under my 7' door comfortably...

IMG_7413.jpg

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
One of the keys to this is your preliminary research. Your Realtor does not need to "guess" at things, but rather needs to know what the updated rules are for homes that you might consider in an HOA. It would be helpful to you if they could provide the updated copy for you to see before you sign anything.

The community that I guard is HOA regulated, and the whining that begins when someone wants to do something "against the rules" is immense...but that is the price they pay for not doing their research and knowing what works and does not work in the community before they buy here.

Not all HOA communities are oppressive or bad. Many are, of course, but not all.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Not all HOA communities are oppressive or bad. Many are, of course, but not all.
That's very accurate. I've delivered a few areas where the HOA just made sure basic stuff like no cars parked in the lawns an other stuff most people want to avoid don't happen an mostly exists just to collect money an to pay for lawn maint on common areas like parks an the entrance area.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
One of the keys to this is your preliminary research. Your Realtor does not need to "guess" at things, but rather needs to know what the updated rules are for homes that you might consider in an HOA. It would be helpful to you if they could provide the updated copy for you to see before you sign anything.

The community that I guard is HOA regulated, and the whining that begins when someone wants to do something "against the rules" is immense...but that is the price they pay for not doing their research and knowing what works and does not work in the community before they buy here.

No not all aren't but one thing to keep in mind is they change frequently. Plus there's the HOA which is made up of homeowners in the community and then there's the management company. They're the ones who will be driving around and sending you notices.

In the 6 years I've lived here the board members have changed 3 times and the management company twice. The original ones were very good and didn't nit pick little things but now it's like living in a concentration camp. You do get to vote in new board members but you have no say when it comes to the management company and that's the important one. They're the ones who can and will make your life a living hell!

Just for the record I keep my yard spotless but when we have a summer like this past one where it rained a lot weeds are going to pop up. I spray them every weekend and they don't die on the spot yet I'll still get a notice with a picture of a weed while my neighbor has a boat and his commercial plumbing truck in his driveway.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
It looks like my wife and I may be relocating from Marietta, GA to Boca Raton, FL - and because of that we've started looking for a home on Zillow. Most of the homes we've looked at are in HOA/country club communities, and I've started poking around and reading some the HOA rules. One home we liked had an HOA rule of no trucks, vans, commercial vehicles in the driveway - including non-commercial pick-up trucks. So it looks like I need to measure the overall height of my truck and bring a tape measure with me to Florida when we look at homes. Arghhhhhhhhh.

Anybody here with a lifted Ranger able to cram their Ranger into their garage? I have a 3.5" lift and RTT mounted!!!!! I don't think mine fits in my current home's garage.
2021-07-24 09.54.29.jpg

2021-07-24 09.54.51.jpg
Reason 65,452,478,214.2 why I refuse to live in a neighborhood with an HOA. Nothing like a bunch of ass wipes with delusions of grandeur and a penchant for goose step salutes to make one want to wipe their butt with the HOA agreement...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
HOAs with larger lots and distance between homes seem less prone to Nazi rules as applied to clustered Town Houses jammed up next to each other...Karens who live there don't want to see the smoker in your garage so no open doors for more than 30 seconds...and forget about your jacked up hillbilly pickup truck with "Let's Go Brandon" bumper sticker on the driveway...like this guy... ?

img_7488-jpg.jpg

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

2021-07-24 09.54.29.jpg

2021-07-24 09.54.51.jpg
My Ranger barely fit on the garage had to remove the stuby antenna and also it had a 3.5 inch lift. I had to adjust the garage door to get the an extra height. If you like the neighborhood check the garage door if you have room to adjust.

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
Hmmm. I wonder if there is a mechanical solution here. Assuming that garage door height is the only physical issue, could an air bag suspension help? What if one could push a button and lower the pickup's height by a couple of inches? I'm not at all familiar with the lift suspension offerings out there to know if someone even offers such a thing.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Class A tractors have an airbag dump switch that does just that. Lowers the rear end by inches. Pretty neat feature to have, actually, in a road tractor.
Don't know how it would work well on a pickup truck, though.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Don't move there. Especially if the HOA is run by the homeowners of the neighborhood and you don't intend to (or cannot) abide by the rules because running an HOA is a pain in the ass and owners or renters that don't want to abide by the rules - it makes it that much more of a pain in the ass. On the flip side - if the HOA is run by a management company that micromanages, it can also be a shitty experience to live there.

I live in an HOA that's run by the local home owners and I like them, the rules and the community. What I do hate is that we have a few renters in the neighborhood where the home is owned by a large firm in another state so holding the renters accountable is impossible because of the major corporation that owns the home has way better lawyers vs. what our small HOA can afford. So I get to live next to a fuckin' monster truck enthusiast group that wakes up my toddler every night at 3am.

Don't buy home where you won't enjoy the neighborhood.
Don't be a shitty neighbor.

Good luck.
Sponsored