OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I know these things are becoming a dime a dozen now a days, but this one caught my eye recently. Base price is $12,999 which is meh...

However something about very simple aesthetics caught my interest. It also seems to boast extra width.

How does one even get these things delivered if not local? A huge freight fee?

https://www.tuneoutdoor.com/tune-m1

@Msfitoy
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I know these things are becoming a dime a dozen now a days, but this one caught my eye recently. Base price is $12,999 which is meh...

However something about very simple aesthetics caught my interest. It also seems to boast extra width.

@Msfitoy
Just what the world needs...another camper manufacturer based in CO...there's is one company that makes something similar but in modules and is the only one that ships because their kit can break down in 3 boxes...all other require you to drive there for factory install...I'm betting this one is no different...

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Just what the world needs...another camper manufacturer based in CO...there's is one company that makes something similar but in modules and is the only one that ships because their kit can break down in 3 boxes...all other require you to drive there for factory install...I'm betting this one is no different...
3000 mile round trip for me. Wonder if slide me a discount to help with gas šŸ˜†

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

@Msfitoy
For that price, they ought to come out to your house and build it in your driveway

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
Iā€™ve seen this one in person. It looks great and seems very functional. Doesnā€™t seem overly priced to similar styles on the market. I work with one of the engineers dad and he has spent quite a few nights in them and speaks highly of them.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
At least you would have somewhere to sleep on the way back!
Also will come in handy for a place to sleep when he goes broke and canā€™t pay his rent or mortgage. šŸ¤”

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Might cost less to have it drop shipped to an RV dealer near you.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Admit I've been daydreaming about the Tune M1. For a midsize truck, its a clear winner when you consider bedsize and interior space. I'm a seasoned backpacker and car camper. For car camping, I have the Gazelle T4, a 10' x 10' pop up. This is what I've used extensively first with my Outback and the last couple years with my Ranger. Last trip was 9 nights, each in a different spot in remote areas. Yes, I have to set up the tent, unroll the air mats, blow them up with a little rechargeable pump, throw in the sleeping bags, stake out a couple corners.. but I have a mini cabin to retreat to in bad weather. I can stand up and change.

To avoid the tent setup routine, I'd need to spend north of $12k for a popup canopy camper like the Tune M1. For other models, you get less sleeping space and with a 5' bed, a narrow slot to slink up and down from when the bed is slid out. The Tune seems to have solved this, with a large sleeping space and a more generous gap between the bed slide out and the back of the camper. OVRLND is pretty cool but with the straight sides and less cab over bed, you get less sleep space than the Tune.

I also follow Tune M1's owners group on FB, as I do OVRLND and Project M. Daydreaming stuff. One Tune owner is Washington is getting lots of rain in their camper when the camper is closed. Sounds like an anomaly but can't have that. Also lose 2-3 mpg. Think about that if your truck is also a daily driver. The range reduction is also a consideration - 54 fewer miles on a tank of gas, which is considerable for off road range. If you're traversing Oregon/Idaho desert, or Nevada, Utah - all sorts of places - you're losing safety margin. I carry a 5 gall Wavian in my truck topper.

No perfect option and no free lunch. If I could snap my fingers and have a Tune M1 appear for free I'd happily sacrifice the mpgs. Otherwise, its tough for me to consider as an improvement over my already fairly dialed in tent based setup.

Anyone else seriously considering these canopy/topper style popups? Wedges are totally out for me, tiny sleeping areas for a couple. No thanks.
Sponsored