Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, here it is. Before even buying my Ranger, my wife and I had a plan to build out a fun vehicle for camping. We've tent camped several times and enjoyed it and with Covid we couldn't travel like we planned so we decided to spend money on ways we could do things together away from most people. Covid might be over before I get this thing done though lol.

There was a lot of back and forth on what kind of camper to build. Trailers are out, I don't have space to store one. I really looked hard at the GFC style pop up campers but the prices are pretty high and I live in Florida so logistically it would have been difficult or very expensive to obtain one. I didn't really want a RTT because this new vehicle would be a daily driver and not only do I have a height restricted parking garage at work, but I don't really want to look like I'm on an expedition every day I drive the truck. I came across the Topper EZ Lift and was sold. It checks all the boxes for us.

I specifically sought out an SCAB FX4 for this build because we had to be able to lay down in the back and I wanted the 4x4 capability. I ordered a Leer topper making sure to get it carpeted and I also got the roof tracks for future additions. When it was installed I had them use about 2 extra feet of wiring for the brake light and interior light for the lift system.

The canvas sides of the kit attach to the truck bedrails with adhesive velcro and it also uses velcro to attach to the topper itself. Admittedly it's not a perfect system but it attaches well enough there shouldn't be any issues with bugs getting in. Rain could be another issue but a simple tarp staked down over the whole thing acting as a rain fly should work great. I hope. If we get caught in a torrential downpour I'll just lower the top completely.

Speaking of lowering/raising the top. it only takes about 20 seconds. It's fully electric with no hydraulics. It can lift about 900 lbs total. So If I want to break camp for a day and go explore, there isn't a huge effort required. It's also a very secure way to store all of my gear. I can lower the top, throw my stuff inside and lock it up. Keyless entry on the topper is nice as well. The factory FOB locks/unlocks the topper with the rest of the truck.

Now at the time of writing this, I have the EZlift installed but I haven't built out the inside yet, or taken it out and camped with it. I keep going back and forth on how to build it out. The plan is to keep it mostly simple and light weight so I can remove it easily if I need to haul something large. Most of the time the camping gear will stay in the truck though. It needs to sleep 2 people and I like the idea of a fold away style bed but just not sure yet.

Thoughts/opinions/flames/praises all welcomed.

Here is a link to a quick vid of it lifting on instagram.

Note: this vid is sped up X2. also turn on the sound for the full effect :cool:

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
Pretty cool

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
That's cool. Imagine that on a new 4-door Bronco, that would be a sweet camper.

-EDIT-

It looks like the ez lift website is gone, like they didn't pay their bill. Where did you get it?

OP
OP
Espo78

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
That's cool. Imagine that on a new 4-door Bronco, that would be a sweet camper.

-EDIT-

It looks like the ez lift website is gone, like they didn't pay their bill. Where did you get it?
Wow that's odd. I bought it from their site last month and actually called for some tech help last week. I spoke directly with the owner of the company when my questions exceeded the knowledge of the phone operator. I'm sure it's just a glitch that will be corrected they have been in business for over 10 years. I hope so anyway!

OP
OP
Espo78

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the website is back online. Must have just been a glitch.

keubs

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SCREW Splash
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry for dredging up ancient threads but I'm curious your thoughts on your ezlift after a couple years of having one. Any issues come up? Been contemplating buying one for damn near 6 months now and about ready to pull the trigger

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Considering how the OP hasn't been here since Oct 2022, good luck getting a response.
Sponsored