OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
You think I'm wrong but I'm not. Up here in Colorado you get just their basic tune and you go into the high elevation you will go into limp mode. It has already been proven. They have to put in a special tune for high-elevation for who knows what reason. With Livernois poor performance and Unleashed you don't have to. Just stating the facts here
So one specific issue? Not sure that qualifies as a catastrophy you are implying but whatever floats your boat.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So one specific issue? Not sure that qualifies as a catastrophy you are implying but whatever floats your boat.
Apparently you did not pay attention to @berlow94 when he stated they do not use Barometric fuel correction fuel tables. If the truck can not correct itself going up or down in elevation then there is a HUGE problem with thier software. Simple as that especially when we have turbocharged engines. Belive it or not that is why I did not go with 5 Star because with them you will be asking for trouble!!

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
Livernois is the tune on the ford tuner.
Step one of the tune is to download your factory settings before installing tune.
Im willing to bet those that cant switch back had their local dealer install the tune and skipped a step..

Levittown ford is selling the ford tuner for $650 right now.. comes with the drop in k&n filter.. it also allows tire size calibration.. upto a 31.5 tire.. (this is my hang up i have 32.6)

5 star warranty is through stage 3 or at least the guy that blew his motor running the 5 star tune was told..

He has yet to post updates.. he does not blame the tune for motor failure..
Fun fact, in the tire options you can correct for whatever tire you're running. You input it in revs per mile and it will correct, it corrected for my 33.6" tires. I played with it and could correct for even larger than what I'm running.

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
Fun fact, in the tire options you can correct for whatever tire you're running. You input it in revs per mile and it will correct, it corrected for my 33.6" tires. I played with it and could correct for even larger than what I'm running.
Well that will move this up my list.. not sure why ford puts a limit on it..

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
I'm not sure, it was one of the downsides to it when I was choosing. However upon making the corrections and playing with it I found that it could not only correct for 33.6" but even larger.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The reason Ford put a "quote on quote" limit is simply to say they can SAFELY certify that size of tire at the maximum. Bigger than that and it os on you kind of thing.

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
The reason Ford put a "quote on quote" limit is simply to say they can SAFELY certify that size of tire at the maximum. Bigger than that and it os on you kind of thing.
Well it was the 2nd negative on the tuner and prevented me from buying it.
First negative was i wanted more of a tow tune than a performance tune. I wanted something that was safe to tow with..

I stepped down from the diesel world.. i watched guys with the crazy larry tunes towing 10,000lb trailers bitching about blowing stuff up.. well duh..

So i looked at other tuners.. i liked what I heard about unleashed tuning..and was leaning that way, but i only have 600 miles on the truck.. i have time.. before i need the tune.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
not to argue that barometric pressure changes the power of our engines....the question is how much and whether it makes a difference to a normal joe running through the mountains.
we arent running pikes peak here looking for every available fraction of a HP to win over the next guy.

my weather patterns at home can change barometric pressure in wide swaths on the daily....should i be worried im going to grenade an engine because the sun came out?
Lol not sure if you have read some of the lovely complaints from the 5 Star tunes but rhe people that were having problems were doing daily driving in Colorado qithout going to pikes peak most of the mountain passes here get over 9,000 ft and sometimes more than 11,000 ft. Crazy but true

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well it was the 2nd negative on the tuner and prevented me from buying it.
First negative was i wanted more of a tow tune than a performance tune. I wanted something that was safe to tow with..

I stepped down from the diesel world.. i watched guys with the crazy larry tunes towing 10,000lb trailers bitching about blowing stuff up.. well duh..

So i looked at other tuners.. i liked what I heard about unleashed tuning..and was leaning that way, but i only have 600 miles on the truck.. i have time.. before i need the tune.
I say go with what you are comfortable with. I went with Livernois primarily because it was avalible vs the Ford Performance was on backorder. After I got the tow tune installed I was impressed and just keept in installed.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If i was going non ford tune there is a guy out of Florida that i'd go with.. im drawing a blank on the name right now though..
Unleashed. They have a very good reputation in the EcoBoost community.
thats hardly an argument for having a big problem with their software.
The fact that 5 star doesn’t even use barometric pressure correction in their fuel tables I would say is a “big problem”
not to argue that barometric pressure changes the power of our engines....the question is how much and whether it makes a difference to a normal joe running through the mountains.
we arent running pikes peak here looking for every available fraction of a HP to win over the next guy.

my weather patterns at home can change barometric pressure in wide swaths on the daily....should i be worried im going to grenade an engine because the sun came out?
To take away the stock ECUs ability to correct for altitude IS a big problem.

Are you going to grenade an engine? Probably not, as pressure drops you'll go rich, lean is much more dangerous. Hence the reported "limp mode" on unadulterated 5 Star OTS tunes at altitude.

For people who live and drive near sea level it shouldn't be an issue. However, if I were you, or anybody running a 5 Star tune, I'd flash back to stock in eastern Kansas if you ever plan on crossing the continental divide. Just to avoid headaches.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
5star fixed the limp mode issue very early on. I indeed hit this issue when driving through the smokies and was one of the first to report. They told me all tunes sent after they corrected it on mine would automatically have this revision. The limp mode issue is a thing of the past. Frenchy loves to push every mod he personally has on his truck to a point of you thinking he might be sponsored. We ALL know how much he loves his OME suspension.

Moral of the story, many of us run 5star tunes, I'm probably one of the earliest adopters on this forum and can tell you it runs flawlessly (20k+ tuned miles) and I drive my truck hard. I also do some heavy wheeling (not just gravel/dirt roads on a mountain) and this tune handles it with zero issues and my truck still runs like new.

Ross Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X2
At the end of the day everyone is going to have their opinions on which tune/company is the best/worst. All you can do is research and listen to other peoples experiences and make the best decision for your situation. I personally chose Unleashed Tuning. Torrie has great customer service and a great reputation in the ecoboost community. I also liked his quick response times as well as his willingness to datalog the truck as many times as it takes to get the tune right where I wanted it to be. There are many different tuning companies and they are all pretty reputable and have their own positives and negatives. Read peoples experiences reach out to the tuners and companies and go with the one you like best for your situation.
Sponsored