First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Just finished some experimentation, I had the TSB done which made the vibration better but it was still there.. So over the past couple days I have been shimming the center bearing to see if that helps. Yesterday after installing several different shims its gone. I had to drop the center bearing 3/4 of an inch. I will drive it a couple more test drives before installing more permanent shims as I am using body shims for testing. My rear pinion angle is 6.2 I may try to get that in the 5.2 sweet spot at a latter time and readjust the shim spacing if needed.
Keep in mind that changing the angle on the rear driveshaft also changes the front shaft too.
Sponsored

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Keep in mind that changing the angle on the rear driveshaft also changes the front shaft too.
Indeed I am assuming if there is no vibration under 85 I am good have not tested any higher

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 (stock)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
Bad news and good news.

Bad: Ford denied the buyback. To hell with them.

Good: I experimented with more center bearing drop and found completely smooth perfection at 18mm. Uphill, downhill, flat, hard acceleration, soft acceleration, up to 95mph- all smooth.

I noticed the more shims I added, the more the takeoff vibration improved and the slight vibration/shimmy at speed moved to higher and higher ranges of speed.

-At 10mm of shim, I had the vibration at take off and while lightly accelerating from ~65-75mph.

-At 13mm, vibe at takeoff and accelerating from ~75-85.

-At 15mm, vibe at takeoff almost gone and very slight at ~80+

-At 18mm, smooth up to highest tested speed of 95.

I spent the rest of the day installing a new 4x4 selector knob with Terrain Management to add to my non-FX4, activated it and a few other things in Forscan, and actually enjoyed the truck for the first damn time. Glad it’s fixed, wish Ford did it. End of story.

FYI- I also had the TSB done (correctly) with the 0.5 degree shims to correct my pinion angle from ~6.5 to 6.0 before I messed with the center bearing at all. It might have helped the vibration very slightly, hard to tell.

Hope this helps guide all of you to a smoother ride.

-Cameron

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
Bad news and good news.

Good: I experimented with more center bearing drop and found completely smooth perfection at 18mm. Uphill, downhill, flat, hard acceleration, soft acceleration, up to 95mph- all smooth.

I noticed the more shims I added, the more the takeoff vibration improved and the slight vibration/shimmy at speed moved to higher and higher ranges of speed.

-At 10mm of shim, I had the vibration at take off and while lightly accelerating from ~65-75mph.

I spent the rest of the day installing a new 4x4 selector knob with Terrain Management to add to my non-FX4, activated it and a few other things in Forscan, and actually enjoyed the truck for the first damn time. Glad it’s fixed, wish Ford did it. End of story.

FYI- I also had the TSB done (correctly) with the 0.5 degree shims to correct my pinion angle from ~6.5 to 6.0 before I messed with the center bearing at all. It might have helped the vibration very slightly, hard to tell.

-Cameron
What kind of shims did you use ?

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
What kind of shims did you use ?
The master tech at my local dealership had a huge stack of Ford Transit center bearing shims from a recall for that vehicle. He gave me some for free. Turns out the bolt hole spacing is the exact same for our Ranger’s center bearing, but they did require taking a grinder to cut off the corners of the edge closest to the center bearing bracket to clear it.

Might ask a tech at your local dealer, bet they have some laying around if they’ve done the Transit repairs. Otherwise I don’t see why the slightly thicker stainless fender washers wouldn’t work just fine.

-Cameron

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Bad news and good news.

-Cameron

Interesting... My pinion is at 6.2 after the TSB I added 3/4 of an inch of shims and I have a silky smooth take off and ride up to 75-85 have not tested it any faster.

Made mine from 1/4 flat stock.

I may try to adjust the pinion to 5.2 latter but dad always said if its not broke don't fix it..

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
The master tech at my local dealership had a huge stack of Ford Transit center bearing shims from a recall for that vehicle. He gave me some for free. Turns out the bolt hole spacing is the exact same for our Ranger’s center bearing, but they did require taking a grinder to cut off the corners of the edge closest to the center bearing bracket to clear it.

Might ask a tech at your local dealer, bet they have some laying around if they’ve done the Transit repairs. Otherwise I don’t see why the slightly thicker stainless fender washers wouldn’t work just fine.

-Cameron
Any chance you could post a picture of the shims they gave you?

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
Any chance you could post a picture of the shims they gave you?
I used all the shims he gave me on my center bearing. They look just like the angled shims from the TSB, but with two holes for the bolts. Black, same exact LxW, I think. I’ll see if I can read the part number on them or get one from the tech.

-Cameron

Milkmaster

First Name
Milkmaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Interesting... My pinion is at 6.2 after the TSB I added 3/4 of an inch of shims and I have a silky smooth take off and ride up to 75-85 have not tested it any faster.

Made mine from 1/4 flat stock.

I may try to adjust the pinion to 5.2 latter but dad always said if its not broke don't fix it..
I have nothing to lose trying your solution! You must have installed longer bolts in the center bearing no? Can you share the metric size and length of those new bolts? Otherwise I have to get one of the bolts out and match it at the hardware store.

Also share the hole size and width spacing for your 3/4" shims? Were they one piece or two across and beneath the bearing? I can get them made ahead of time! Thanks for your help and comments.

Last edited:

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
I have nothing to lose trying your solution! You must have installed longer bolts in the center bearing no? Can you share the metric size and length of those new bolts? Otherwise I have to get one of the bolts out and match it at the hardware store.

Also share the hole size and width spacing for your 3/4" shims? Were they one piece or two across and beneath the bearing? I can get them made ahead of time! Thanks for your help and comments.
Here was my process..

3/4 of an inch may or may not be correct for your truck here is how I came to that conclusion on my truck.

I installed the following harbor freight shims little by little until reaching 3/4 an Inch where the vibration at take off was gone

Anyone using this process please be aware don't use the test shims on a long term basis as they are not designed for this purpose.

image_19936.jpg

Through this process I did have to buy a couple longer flange head 10mm Grade 10.9 bolts and washers to match the factory bolts as I added more shims. I purchased several different lengths as I tested if I remember correctly my final bolts were 50mm in length.

So knowing 3/4 of an inch was good for my truck I purchased the following flat stock from Lowes
Hillman 1/4 x 1-1/2 x 4ft flat stock
steel.PNG

I cut the stock in 1 3/4 lengths. Then placed one on the center bearing bracket to create a template.

PXL_20210417_114748979.jpg

Transferred the center point to the other shims
Center punched them and drilled the holes on a drill press and installed.
Truck is silky smooth now..

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
The longer bolts I used were M10 1.5x60. Grade 10.9. You’ll need those and washers for them.

-Cameron

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here was my process..

3/4 of an inch may or may not be correct for your truck here is how I came to that conclusion on my truck.

I installed the following harbor freight shims little by little until reaching 3/4 an Inch where the vibration at take off was gone

Anyone using this process please be aware don't use the test shims on a long term basis as they are not designed for this purpose.

image_19936.jpg

Through this process I did have to buy a couple longer flange head 10mm Grade 10.9 bolts and washers to match the factory bolts as I added more shims. I purchased several different lengths as I tested if I remember correctly my final bolts were 50mm in length.

So knowing 3/4 of an inch was good for my truck I purchased the following flat stock from Lowes
Hillman 1/4 x 1-1/2 x 4ft flat stock
steel.PNG

I cut the stock in 1 3/4 lengths. Then placed one on the center bearing bracket to create a template.

PXL_20210417_114748979.jpg

Transferred the center point to the other shims
Center punched them and drilled the holes on a drill press and installed.
Truck is silky smooth now..
How long have you had the 3/4" shims in? When I did this a few months ago some shudder returned and I got some vibes in the steering wheel around 55-60 mph. Used same material and shape shims you fabricated.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
How long have you had the 3/4" shims in? When I did this a few months ago some shudder returned and I got some vibes in the steering wheel around 55-60 mph. Used same material and shape shims you fabricated.
Around a month.. If it comes back I will attempt to get the pinion angle to 5.2 or as close as I can get it..

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I used all the shims he gave me on my center bearing. They look just like the angled shims from the TSB, but with two holes for the bolts. Black, same exact LxW, I think. I’ll see if I can read the part number on them or get one from the tech.

-Cameron
Do they look like one of these?
31a8hmnWrML._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Milkmaster

First Name
Milkmaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Took this video today. I am sure under load things are much different, but unfortunately a highway video is hard to do with just an iphone. Smooth as silk all the way until you reach interstate speeds above 70mph. Then it is the exact same high speed vibration you feel when driving. I did this to confirm it is NOT unbalanced tires.

Sponsored