First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Lost confidence in the shop I bought my truck from. The drive in and out of work today was worse than before the TSB was done on Thursday, shudder occurs from 10 to 30 mph. Took a look at the shim installation. Doesn't appear there is a tapered shim on the left and there are two tapered shims installed together in opposite directions on the the right side. The differential housing feels hot to the touch after 1 hour drive. Something seems to be getting progressively worse especially on longer drives. Was going to go to another dealer, my wife suggests I raise hell with service manager.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogden Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Quality Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is in the shop now but my vibration is around 1500 rpm. I asked them to do this TSB.
With my 2”Eibach’s on the front my angle is 7degrees. They are supposed to correct that if it is not 5.5 degrees.

That’s not much.
They won’t do anything because it’s lifted but they “approve” of Rough Country products.
You get a vibration at 1500 RPM regardless of speed?

Dan

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
You get a vibration at 1500 RPM regardless of speed?

Dan
No, if I go into sport mode the vibs move up into the rpm range. Between 1500-2000 rpm in drive mode is where I notice it most.

They didn’t install this TSB because I leveled my Truck but they did install TSB 20-2339 on the low speed start up stumble. I haven’t drove it enough yet to see if this helped.

Something I did notice is I removed my 1” wheel spacers before going to the dealer. The truck felt smoother at 75-80 than it did before.
Not sure why and I’m leaving them off for more road time. (Bora wheel spacers.)

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Hey everyone... I read through these Forums... and sometimes wish I didn't. :crackup:

So far I only have 700 miles on my truck and I don't think I have any "shudder" as described here. That said, one thing I think that would be helpful is if everyone could either post it or change there profile vehicle to add the build date of their truck.

I think it would be interesting to understand if there are any patterns to these technical issues and whether or not they relate to build date commonality, stock vs. non stock, or, are they complete random.

Cheers. ?

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey everyone... I read through these Forums... and sometimes wish I didn't. :crackup:

So far I only have 700 miles on my truck and I don't think I have any "shudder" as described here. That said, one thing I think that would be helpful is if everyone could either post it or change there profile vehicle to add the build date of their truck.

I think it would be interesting to understand if there are any patterns to these technical issues and whether or not they relate to build date commonality, stock vs. non stock, or, are they complete random.

Cheers. ?
My truck is 100% stock. Build date is 3/20/20.

If you don't have the shudder I doubt you will get it spontaneously. It is a noticable shake from the back end on take off. It usually occurs around 10mph and is associated with driveline misalignment.

Last edited:

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I brought my truck back to service on Monday because mine also has a high speed vibration at 80 mph which is driving me crazy (the speed limit here in Utah on the 15 just south of Salt lake City is 80). I can handle a little bit of slow speed shutter (until they figure out a positive resolution) but the highway speed stuff is a no-go.
They are currently working with Ford tech to decide how to address the high speed vibe. The dealer wants to send it out to have the driveline balanced but they need Ford to approve it.

Dan
Back in the 70s I was a service writer for Chevrolet. In those days, a mechanic fixed a problem and we argued with the zone rep to get it paid for by Chevrolet, the customer got the damn car fixed. Nowadays apparently they are afraid to try to fix it unless it is blessed by Ford. Sad.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I actually got a call from the service drive manager today, probably because I blasted the dealer on a satisfaction survey. I complained that the did not follow the directions on the TSB (did not remove the shim from the right side) and that all the work did was change the speed at which the shudder begins. I told him I was fully aware that they were not going to even attempt to fix the vehicle until Ford found the solution. I referenced this forum thread and quoted from the survey the extremely low number of "fixes" that were achieved by the TSB. I quoted from the post where a video had been taken of the 2nd universal joint just aft of the center carrier hopping upon acceleration. I mentioned that Ford Australia/Ford Europe were fixing it by shimming the center carrier. I doubt he cares one way or the other. When the fix finally arrives, it is going to another dealer. Many thanks to all for the input on this issue.

Ogden Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Quality Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the 70s I was a service writer for Chevrolet. In those days, a mechanic fixed a problem and we argued with the zone rep to get it paid for by Chevrolet, the customer got the damn car fixed. Nowadays apparently they are afraid to try to fix it unless it is blessed by Ford. Sad.
I sure wish the service environment was more like your Chevy days. The driveline tech even wanted to have the drive shaft balanced but Ford wouldn't agree to it.
It's quite obvious that this TSB is not adequately addressing many of our problems and Ford either has no clue or doesn't want to admit to another problem yet.
Soooooo freaking frustrating.

Dan

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Yea I agree. I feel sorry for those those with high levels of fuel in the oil and Ford does nothing that is way worse of a issue.

I had the Focus trans problem and it took a lawsuit to get Ford to admit they did something wrong. To bad my Focus was long gone.

I bought a Ford this time and sold my Colorado not because my Colorado was bad but because Chevy is the one that denies they have a issue and I did not want a Chevy out of warranty. I bought a Ford because I thought they stood behind their trucks. They keep this up they will not be #1 for long.

What I do not get is the dealers. I went in for a oil change and they said less than a hour. 2Hrs later I am still sitting there. Everyone before and after me in the waiting room is gone. I finally say something and it is like no one knows where my truck is. I think they did like a 2 second oil change and probably not a good one. They were supposed to wash my truck and it came back worse than before. It was all smeared.

Now I find out they didn't reset my millage. looked at the app and I am down to like 5 percent.

Last edited:

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Yea I agree. I feel sorry for those those with high levels of fuel in the oil and Ford does nothing that is way worse of a issue.

I had the Focus trans problem and it took a lawsuit to get Ford to admit they did something wrong. To bad my Focus was long gone.

I bought a Ford this time and sold my Colorado not because my Colorado was bad but because Chevy is the one that denies they have a issue and I did not want a Chevy out of warranty. I bought a Ford because I thought they stood behind their trucks. They keep this up they will not be #1 for long.

What I do not get is the dealers. I went in for a oil change and they said less than a hour. 2Hrs later I am still sitting there. Everyone before and after me in the waiting room is gone. I finally say something and it is like no one knows where my truck is. I think they did like a 2 second oil change and probably not a good one. They were supposed to wash my truck and it came back worse than before. It was all smeared.

Now I find out they didn't reset my millage. looked at the app and I am down to like 5 percent.
Some of these dealers hire low competency "techs" to work the Quick Lanes and I think a good portion of them don't know 100%v what they are doing....and the "A" techs don't want to be bothered with oil changes because they don't make hours (money) on them.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lost confidence in the shop I bought my truck from. The drive in and out of work today was worse than before the TSB was done on Thursday, shudder occurs from 10 to 30 mph. Took a look at the shim installation. Doesn't appear there is a tapered shim on the left and there are two tapered shims installed together in opposite directions on the the right side. The differential housing feels hot to the touch after 1 hour drive. Something seems to be getting progressively worse especially on longer drives. Was going to go to another dealer, my wife suggests I raise hell with service manager.
I called the dealership this morning to tell them what is going on with my truck and schedule to bring it in. Relayed my dissatisfaction with the worsening shuddering problem. I got a call back from the service manager and asked me to go over the problems, he committed to making things right and explained what they will do. I have to say it was refreshing to receive a cooperative attitude. My truck will be going in, in a few days. Trying to stay positive.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
so, got an interesting phone call from my dealer this morning.
After this TSB was completed as well as the computer updates for all other issues, all in one visit, my truck got better. it wasnt perfect, but better. i still had a rough shift (3-4), but nothing like it was before. felt smoother throughout all the drive speeds and I had hoped all would be well.
They said drive it for awhile and let them know how things become.

I never called them, they called me and said we have your new TCM. it arrived and they would like to install it.
so as it turns out, they noticed a problem with it while doing the updates.
so any other little issues i think i still have, i am hoping the TCM change eliminates them
Sounds like your dealer has a good service department.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
As mentioned earlier the dealership would not perform TSB 2277 because I have Eibach’s adjustable front coil overs installed. My driveshaft angle is 7 degrees and should be 5.5degrees.

BUT, they did reprogram according to TSB 20-2339 and that reprogramming made a huge difference. It is obvious the transmission is shifting a lot smoother and at different rpms. There also isn’t a stall when you step on it, this bothered me more than the vibration.

So, I would suggest to those with this vibration related to TSB 20-2277 to also have this TSB done too.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Oh, something else, it shifts into 2nd. It never did that before in D mode.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got my truck back today after third visit to dealership for shudder issue. TSB 20-2277 was rechecked, shudder is not gone but much better. Had them check out some other things as well. Front alignment was off a bit, they took care of that and now it steers nice and tight. Apparently Ford is still trying to figure how to solve the shudder, the tech tested four Rangers, all have some shudder, the loaner I had shuddered mildly as well. I have to say the service manger and crew did a good job communicating with me. It's nice not having chase people down.
Sponsored