• Total voters

canigetadollar?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
Then you didn't have the same problem we are having. I can lower mine to zero PSI and still feel the vibration.
Did you read the part that said "similar"?
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
hahaha, there goes any credibility.
its one thing to exaggerate a little, another to completely lie
Now I know in reality he didn't mean what he said, but with that said, I could totally see some Bubba doing this to diagnose the problem. lol

"Hey Cleetus hold muh beer Ill show you how to test-icate this here tra'ck to figure it out"

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I’m not sure if I have this issue or not.....when I start from a stop I always feel a little vibration. Almost feels like very slight wheel hop. (No it’s not that. Haha) it’s always from start till about 10mph. Then gone.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure if I have this issue or not.....when I start from a stop I always feel a little vibration. Almost feels like very slight wheel hop. (No it’s not that. Haha) it’s always from start till about 10mph. Then gone.
Hi Landis,

I think you have a case of mild start up shudder.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Well I'm off to test drive my vehicle after getting the TSB done. The dealer says the shudder is gone so we will see wish me luck! I will post results.

If the shutter is still there I'm going to tell the dealer to shove the truck. Might cost me my deposit but I haven't signed shit yet...

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Well I'm off to test drive my vehicle after getting the TSB done. The dealer says the shudder is gone so we will see wish me luck! I will post results.

If the shutter is still there I'm going to tell the dealer to shove the truck. Might cost me my deposit but I haven't signed shit yet...
Sounds like the start of a great relationship.

Ogden Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Quality Manager
Vehicle Showcase
hahaha, there goes any credibility.
its one thing to exaggerate a little, another to completely lie
Haha, I wouldn't call it a lie.

I tried the same thing except I lowered in 3 psi increments starting at 40 (the truck had 40 when I first purchased) all the way down to 20. Still had the vibration.

So yeah, I exaggerated a little, but not by much. The tire pressure had little to no effect.

Dan

Last edited:

Ogden Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Quality Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Well to my shock and amazement the TSB was applied and it actually worked. I drove the truck all day long today and it was super silky smooth and really enjoyable to drive. I'm really loving this truck now. Bring on the damper!

That being said I can confirm that the TSB has at least fixed my vehicle. I feel bad for the people that the TSB did not fix their vehicle because I felt the shudder and I can only imagine how frustrating that would be. I sincerely hope Ford comes up with the solution for you but just don't give up on those dealerships because they are obligated to come up with a fix.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well to my shock and amazement the TSB was applied and it actually worked. I drove the truck all day long today and it was super silky smooth and really enjoyable to drive. I'm really loving this truck now. Bring on the damper!

That being said I can confirm that the TSB has at least fixed my vehicle. I feel bad for the people that the TSB did not fix their vehicle because I felt the shudder and I can only imagine how frustrating that would be. I sincerely hope Ford comes up with the solution for you but just don't give up on those dealerships because they are obligated to come up with a fix.
Hi Tann,

I am glad the TSB worked for your Ranger. For those that it did not help, Please file a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care. We need to build a case to fix those that are not fixed by the TSB, but I fear that many cases the fix would fix it but the dealership tech is either lazy or inexperienced in actually measuring the truck before applying the fix. I read one where the dealership just put in a shim...then another and then another...this is so wrong....measure, do the math and put in the indicated shim....

Another back story....I was loaned to Automotive Emissions and Fuel Economy, not an assignment I wanted but I had to deal with California Air Resources Board... AEFEO had a resident in Los Angeles that was dealing with the day to day CARB issues while I was concentrating on the Inspection/maintenance proposed program. This resident had a 1980 full sized Ford LTD. It had been to the dealer several times and they could not diagnose the reason this car, an early Electronic Engine Control (EEC) vehicle. They had failed miserable and the resident invited me to his house for dinner and to see if I could determine the cause of the problem. I drove the vehicle and it would only go about 45 mph at Wide Open Throttle.... I knew right away that the EVP (EGR Valve Position Sensor) was not working and the EGR valve was at full EGR, not modulated as it should. So back into the driveway. Popped the hood, Reached back to the EGR Valve and the connector to the EVP on the top of the valve....a three wire connector. I removed the connector and found the signal return wire was not seated, so pulled the lock key on the connector, seated the pin and put the lock key back. Connect and the car came to life on a drive on the surface streets and the freeways. So 5 trips to different dealers could not find the cause. Sad and this was 1980. Resident Engineer was amazed and shocked that it took me 15 minutes to diagnose and solve the problem. Why? Because I understood the system and how the EEC operated. Nice dinner and a Scotch afterwards before heading back the hotel.

It has become rare to have a dealership tech competent in diagnosis. Ford recognized this as well as the other Manufacturers as well as CARB and EPA, and thus we have error coded, but it cannot diagnose many other issues. I fear we are in a part changing, see what happens and Oh well...live with it mentality at the dealerships. Sad, Sad, Sad.

Off my soap box!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
That is exactly what my truck does. I am not sold on it being driveshaft/driveline caused. I am just going to drive mine and quit complaining. I guess I can get used to it.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
The dealer likely won't reflash the PCM on yours since the TSB only lists the 2019 model year and yours is a 2020. I have the same issue (Nov 2019 build but badged 2020) and will probably end up having to live with it until Ford expands the current TSB or issues a new one to cover mine as well.
My dealer did reflash the PCM. I have not driven it much yet, but in the little I have, the tranny seems to be shifting a lot smoother.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
That is exactly what my truck does. I am not sold on it being driveshaft/driveline caused. I am just going to drive mine and quit complaining. I guess I can get used to it.
My son is a tech for GM and Dodge. He told told me that the some Dodge trucks do this and their fix is to drain all the trans fluid and refill and he said it typically fixes the issue. Dodge says it’s something with air or bubble in the fluid. ??‍♂??‍♂

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Phil,
You seem to have a wealth of knowledge about the inner workings of dealerships and Ford Corporate practices. I need some if that insight. Here's hoping you can shed light on the situation.

I have been following this thread for a while having just purchased my 2020 Ranger 2 months ago. I have been busy adding features before I take it out into the wild and just finished up.

Before putting my truck into production I did my own check down today to insure all was well. Among the items I checked was tire pressures... and found a rather curious revelation. Front tire pressures were within spec, but the rear tires were only inflated to 15psi !!

I have given this some thought and I do not believe it to be an accident. How do you accidentally deflate both rear tires to 15 psi and keep the front ones within spec?

Is it possible that this dealer is trying to mask the shudder issue?

Whatever the reason, it seems dangerous and irresponsible to me. I drove the truck home 35 miles this way.

I used an old fashioned pencil pressure gauge. Tested it against my other autos and another gauge and it is accurate.

Tomorrow I will pull the ranger into my work garage and add air.

Things like this force me to consider what other issues are being masked. It leads to mistrust and my doubting the integrity of this dealership.

I will not be visiting them again until I receive an honest and satisfactory explanation.

Comments?

Tony

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Phil,
You seem to have a wealth of knowledge about the inner workings of dealerships and Ford Corporate practices. I need some if that insight. Here's hoping you can shed light on the situation.

I have been following this thread for a while having just purchased my 2020 Ranger 2 months ago. I have been busy adding features before I take it out into the wild and just finished up.

Before putting my truck into production I did my own check down today to insure all was well. Among the items I checked was tire pressures... and found a rather curious revelation. Front tire pressures were within spec, but the rear tires were only inflated to 15psi !!

I have given this some thought and I do not believe it to be an accident. How do you accidentally deflate both rear tires to 15 psi and keep the front ones within spec?

Is it possible that this dealer is trying to mask the shudder issue?

Whatever the reason, it seems dangerous and irresponsible to me. I drove the truck home 35 miles this way.

I used an old fashioned pencil pressure gauge. Tested it against my other autos and another gauge and it is accurate.

Tomorrow I will pull the ranger into my work garage and add air.

Things like this force me to consider what other issues are being masked. It leads to mistrust and my doubting the integrity of this dealership.

I will not be visiting them again until I receive an honest and satisfactory explanation.

Comments?

Tony
My tires were at 45 psi when I took delivery, and I had the shudder. I lowered them to the recommended pressure and no change.
Sponsored