Truck won't start and radio dead. New Ranger 2021 Lariat 4x4 501a package.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity

Your "TobaccoSport" loaner would've been a non starter (pun intended) for me. I would have requested a different one. ….
My loaner car from the car rental agency (actually an office inside the Ford dealer) Also smelled like an ash tray. Every enterprise car rental has zero rentals available. There is no “request a different car” and I have called each week.

Im still trying to figure out if it is good for connivence or a sign of Ford quality to have a rental car office inside the dealership building?

I also saw a new full size Bronco badlands with engine fluid leak on third day of ownership. Gonna take over a week just to get to look at the Bronco for diagnosing. So it can always be worse for the OP.
Sponsored

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
don't see a reason for the OP not to be upset and ask for basically a refund/exchange. While simplistic and kind of apples to oranges, If it was something as small as a tv that would stop working after few days and verified that it is not working constantly by the store after 6+days of having it a refund/exchange would be expected. After all (assume) he will/is paying monthly payments with minimal relief in the use of a used car.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
My loaner car from the car rental agency (actually an office inside the Ford dealer) Also smelled like an ash tray. Every enterprise car rental has zero rentals available. There is no “request a different car” and I have called each week.

Im still trying to figure out if it is good for connivence or a sign of Ford quality to have a rental car office inside the dealership building?

I also saw a new full size Bronco badlands with engine fluid leak on third day of ownership. Gonna take over a week just to get to look at the Bronco for diagnosing. So it can always be worse for the OP.
Some dealers do daily rentals, inhouse or franchised, as a side business. I worked at one that had a captive rental agency specializing in Club Wagons and minivans, back when Ford sold Windstars.
Before getting into truck driving I sold cars in the 80's & 90's. Eleven dealerships, mostly Ford-LM and a couple BOP/GMC stores. Demo & loaner programs have had some changes, but a dealer should be able to put a warranty customer in something, even a late model used. Generally, the factory reimburses the dealer for a loaner if the customer's vehicle is under warranty.

OP
OP
chrshale

chrshale

First Name
Christin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Ducati tech, Carpenter, OTR flatbed
My 2021 Lariat FX4 has defective rear driver axle at 7,000 miles and 4 months of ownership. I have been in a loaner for 3 weeks so far with no ETA on replacement parts, good luck to you.

I get that defects are possible with anything and I too have a loaner to hold me over. However I did look into the lemon law. While it varies by state somewhat, but briefly what I found out…

1. Repairs must be completed before starting a case on lemon law. So as long as truck is at dealer, there is no case to start.

2. Four repairs in 18 months for the same issue or 30 days at dealer for repairs can qualify as lemon law.

If my Ranger gets repaired I would be happy driving it. But I know I would be inspecting the axle often for the first sign of another repair of the axle/seal/ brake pads and inner wheel area due to oil leaks.
Each state is different. Ford has already submitted my case for repurchase on the basis of what has transpired to date. I don't expect them to approve a buyback yet, but the trail is started.

OP
OP
chrshale

chrshale

First Name
Christin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation

The GM told me that all production of Broncos has been halted because the hardtops leak like sieves. How can this be overlooked in the prototypes and early production models? Crazy.

OP
OP
chrshale

chrshale

First Name
Christin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Some dealers do daily rentals, inhouse or franchised, as a side business. I worked at one that had a captive rental agency specializing in Club Wagons and minivans, back when Ford sold Windstars.
Before getting into truck driving I sold cars in the 80's & 90's. Eleven dealerships, mostly Ford-LM and a couple BOP/GMC stores. Demo & loaner programs have had some changes, but a dealer should be able to put a warranty customer in something, even a late model used. Generally, the factory reimburses the dealer for a loaner if the customer's vehicle is under warranty.
I yanked a skateboard OTR too.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
My 2021 Lariat FX4 has defective rear driver axle at 7,000 miles and 4 months of ownership. I have been in a loaner for 3 weeks so far with no ETA on replacement parts, good luck to you.

I get that defects are possible with anything and I too have a loaner to hold me over. However I did look into the lemon law. While it varies by state somewhat, but briefly what I found out…

1. Repairs must be completed before starting a case on lemon law. So as long as truck is at dealer, there is no case to start.

2. Four repairs in 18 months for the same issue or 30 days at dealer for repairs can qualify as lemon law.

If my Ranger gets repaired I would be happy driving it. But I know I would be inspecting the axle often for the first sign of another repair of the axle/seal/ brake pads and inner wheel area due to oil leaks.
Just last week the pass side front axle went bad on my 2019 w 14,000 miles. Dealership in CT took just 3 days to find a new axle, have it delivered and installed. I asked what might have caused the axle to fail and they suggested that maybe when I went north on the Autotrain, that the Auto-train folks might have ratcheted the wheels down too much. IDK. The only reason they found the bad axle was because I took the truck in for routine service. No indications that the axle was going bad. The tech said that it was fortunate that they caught it because it could have lead to a catastrophic failure if i had been on the interstate.

While I’m grateful that they were able to get the parts and fix my truck so quickly, I’m left wondering if another axle will go bad soon. Lots of stories like yours and mine where people are having axles go bad on such low miles trucks. To my knowledge, doesn’t Ford get their axles from Dana? These should not be failing so often, should they?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Dear d fresh,
You don't know me nor do you have any idea what my "people skills" are. In fact the dealer gm and I have a very good relationship. The service manager has been as helpful as possible. The gm is coaching me on steps for lemon law in MA. I have indeed approached the threshold. I have made no threats. FoMoCo delivered a defective vehicle. This is is in no way the fault of the dealership. And I'm reasonably certain that most people in this country would expect a $40,000 machine to perform correctly when delivered. Perhaps you're in Russia and love Lada's. I expected to encounter some fanbois in this forum. But my offer stands. I'm happy to sell you this truck at exactly what I paid for it. Good day to you.
I’m also in MA. One thing going for you is the lemon law is in your favor. It’s more of a time thing than anything else. The laws are written very clearly so any layman can understand them.

Now here’s the kicker in it for you. If FoMoCo does have to buy it back you get a check. Now try finding something that is an equivalent replacement. So, from what you said, you’re good with dealer management. Let them earn their pay checks and make you a satisfied customer by getting your issue corrected. Clock is on your side and you’re driving a free ride.

OP
OP
chrshale

chrshale

First Name
Christin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I’m also in MA. One thing going for you is the lemon law is in your favor. It’s more of a time thing than anything else. The laws are written very clearly so any layman can understand them.

Now here’s the kicker in it for you. If FoMoCo does have to buy it back you get a check. Now try finding something that is an equivalent replacement. So, from what you said, you’re good with dealer management. Let them earn their pay checks and make you a satisfied customer by getting your issue corrected. Clock is on your side and you’re driving a free ride.
You're spot on about finding a replacement. The gm also told me that Michigan is now producing Maverick's. No more Rangers until the end of the year. He only has one more Ranger to be delivered in 2021. I've told the gm I'll be happy to keep my truck if they can find, identify, and correct the problem. I do really like the truck. Meantime I'm driving a 30,000 mile Ford EcoBox that was a smoker's car.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
The gm also told me that Michigan is now producing Maverick's. No more Rangers until the end of the year. I've told the gm I'll be happy to keep my truck if they can find, identify, and correct the problem. I do really like the truck. Meantime I'm driving a 30,000 mile Ford EcoBox that was a smoker's car.
Sounds like you’ll be in it a while. Get a can of Ozium and some air freshener and couple days in the sun will be a memory

OP
OP
chrshale

chrshale

First Name
Christin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Sounds like you’ll be in it a while. Get a can of Ozium and some air freshener and couple days in the sun will be a memory
Ozium? I'll try it. The EcoBox came with a pine tree air freshener. Can't stand 'em. Thanks!

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
You're spot on about finding a replacement. The gm also told me that Michigan is now producing Maverick's. No more Rangers until the end of the year. He only has one more Ranger to be delivered in 2021. I've told the gm I'll be happy to keep my truck if they can find, identify, and correct the problem. I do really like the truck. Meantime I'm driving a 30,000 mile Ford EcoBox that was a smoker's car.
This is two times your dealer hasn’t been completely aware - the Maverick has nothing to do with Michigan Assembly, it’ll come out of Hermosillo Mexico.

The other one was above - big Bronco’s are still being made, but only those with the soft-top. He was right about the MiC hard tops though.

You bought this used right? (thought I saw something like that earlier) How many miles are on it?

Not a fun situation to be in for sure, hope it works out for you?

OP
OP
chrshale

chrshale

First Name
Christin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
This is two times your dealer hasn’t been completely aware - the Maverick has nothing to do with Michigan Assembly, it’ll come out of Hermosillo Mexico.

The other one was above - big Bronco’s are still being made, but only those with the soft-top. He was right about the MiC hard tops though.

You bought this used right? (thought I saw something like that earlier) How many miles are on it?

Not a fun situation to be in for sure, hope it works out for you?
No. It was brand new last Monday. Thanks.
Sponsored