Truck won't start and radio dead. New Ranger 2021 Lariat 4x4 501a package.

OP
OP
chrshale

chrshale

First Name
Christin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Ducati tech, Carpenter, OTR flatbed
Certainly.
I hope you do. We may be talking apples and oranges though. My dealer said that he can't order more 2021's for stock. He would if he could. Current lead time for an individual order is apparently 26 to 28 weeks and I believe it would be a 2022 model. I'm going to go check tomorrow.
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you’ll be in it a while. Get a can of Ozium and some air freshener and couple days in the sun will be a memory
Ozium is a great product but if it's in the fabric, you'll need to spray the heck out of the fabric to
I hope you do. We may be talking apples and oranges though. My dealer said that he can't order more 2021's for stock. He would if he could. Current lead time for an individual order is apparently 26 to 28 weeks and I believe it would be a 2022 model. I'm going to go check tomorrow.
Yeah, I think he meant that any ordered at this point won't make it by end of year. They're still taking orders for 2021 models. Whether those end up being 2021 or 2022 once built and delivered, I don't know. We're in strange times with production in the world.

vanapagan

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vanapagan.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Cloud Computing Engineer
I am hoping that @chrshale will share with us what his dealer tech friends have been doing to find the said gremlin in his truck. Are they merely swapping out modules with a known working Ranger? Have they verified all the grounds are truly solidly anchored? Did they isolate and test the starter motor (I've seen a bad solenoid do something similar to this before). What is Ford offering the dealer techs in guidance? I'm sure with @chrshale friendship with the dealer GM and lead techs we can get some information that we all can use somewhere down the line.

Hopefully this becomes a learning experience thread instead of just a gripe thread.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I ‘ll put in my two cents worth. Because free advice is always worth at least what you pay for it.
Brake pedal going to the floor is a major red flag symptom. Sounds like the root cause of your no-start is probably here. I don’t have the factory service manual (yet) but I believe there is a brake line pressure sensor in addition to brake pedal position switch. If the push-to-start logic is looking for brake line pressure as the signal that your foot is on the brake then solving that problem will solve the no-start. The ECU is not initiating the starter because it doesn’t think your foot is on the brake.
ABS is designed to dump brake line pressure bcause that’s how it does it’s job, so I’d definitely be focusing on the entire braking system and finding out why you have a dead pedal.
Does the pedal go back to normal when the engine starts? I assume it does, or it wouldn’t be safe to drive.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
You're spot on about finding a replacement. The gm also told me that Michigan is now producing Maverick's. No more Rangers until the end of the year. He only has one more Ranger to be delivered in 2021. I've told the gm I'll be happy to keep my truck if they can find, identify, and correct the problem. I do really like the truck. Meantime I'm driving a 30,000 mile Ford EcoBox that was a smoker's car.
Have the detail shop use an ozone generator on your loaner. It only takes 30 minutes and removes all smells permanently.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Have the detail shop use an ozone generator on your loaner. It only takes 30 minutes and removes all smells permanently.
Failing that you can buy a small one off Amazon for about $60 that'll do the job as well.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Get a dryer vent hose from Home Depot or other hardware store and tape it to the outlet of the generator. Open up one window a few inches to fit the vent hose inside, and use cardboard or a trash bag and painter's tape to seal the window. Let the O3 generator run for about 30 minutes and have the AC system on recirculate. Then shut the generator off and open the car doors to vent. Don't breath in the O3. Once vented check for odors and repeat as needed.

OP
OP
chrshale

chrshale

First Name
Christin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I am hoping that @chrshale will share with us what his dealer tech friends have been doing to find the said gremlin in his truck. Are they merely swapping out modules with a known working Ranger? Have they verified all the grounds are truly solidly anchored? Did they isolate and test the starter motor (I've seen a bad solenoid do something similar to this before). What is Ford offering the dealer techs in guidance? I'm sure with @chrshale friendship with the dealer GM and lead techs we can get some information that we all can use somewhere down the line.

Hopefully this becomes a learning experience thread instead of just a gripe thread.

I certainly will. With a few exceptions, the comments here have been constructive and and respectful. This forum is a good resource. I will recount what is done with my truck. I do continue to believe, though, that no buyer of a $40,000 machine should be expected to accept a vehicle that fails on its first day of delivery, so I will pursue my remedies with FoMoCo at the same time. If any of us bought a $10,000 big screen tv that didn't work out of the box, we would return it for a refund.

OP
OP
chrshale

chrshale

First Name
Christin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Get a dryer vent hose from Home Depot or other hardware store and tape it to the outlet of the generator. Open up one window a few inches to fit the vent hose inside, and use cardboard or a trash bag and painter's tape to seal the window. Let the O3 generator run for about 30 minutes and have the AC system on recirculate. Then shut the generator off and open the car doors to vent. Don't breath in the O3. Once vented check for odors and repeat as needed.
Will do.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I’ve read some reviews from those made in China. No thanks!
Nearly everything on the market is either made in China, or built with a large percentage parts that come from China. Does that instantly make it crap/unsafe? No. Just buy one with a high number of positive reviews and use it. If it doesn't meet your expectations or presents a safety issue send it back for a refund. It's Amazon you can return pretty much anything for a full refund with no questions asked.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Nearly everything on the market is either made in China, or built with a large percentage parts that come from China. Does that instantly make it crap/unsafe? No. Just buy one with a high number of positive reviews and use it. If it doesn't meet your expectations or presents a safety issue send it back for a refund. It's Amazon you can return pretty much anything for a full refund with no questions asked.
I read a few reviews where the unit started smoking and burning. I just rented a commercial grade one from a local rental store.

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
Hope you get this fix. The brake pedal shouldn't go to floor like that.. might be an issue with that. I have the same 2021 Lariat 4x4 501a truck and no issue with it (KNOCK WOOD), got around 1400 miles on it now.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Ok, still didn’t answer the EcoBox question- my’17 Escape is fantastic, so I wasn’t sure if you’re thinking even smaller like the EcoSport (was never a fan).

But back to the topic, having a brake pedal go down to the floor “easily” does not sound right. I’ve never tried to exert too much force when starting myself so curious on this one).

For the Sirius issue, I’m betting it’s separate and related to your Sync wanting to update as soon as it detects wifi, even as you pull out of the driveway away from the signal

He said in POST #51 it was an ECOSPORT.
Sponsored