Truck Market Has Gone Crazy!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I went to a lot of trouble to get my '19 Lariat where it is now. I can't imagine but don't doubt, that Carvana could price in all the things like FP tune, Borla cat back,
stuff like that generally adds zero value, because the odds of finding a buyer who wants the same stuff are low. stock is worth more because it fits into a nice box at the auction.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
yeah I’m looking around, but everywhere I’ve looked is basically sticker out the door. That ain’t happening. Market value won’t carry these used trucks forever and I hate over paying.
It's not overpaying if you need something now and supply is limited. If you don't need it now, then just wait.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Couple more thoughts from what I am seeing from the insurance side. A lot of my clients are buying new cars and RVs because as the pandemic is lifting people want to venture out via car (not plane just yet) they like the privacy and autonomy of driving. They need a reliable car for longer trips. Add this trend with the chip shortage and inventory will get low.

As far as after market goes, my 2k Leer shell is worth 500 in trade whether it is one or twelve years old, I know this as I checked recently and traded one for the 2019 Ranger. There is a backlog on those too. So if you sell your decked out truck you will have to rebuy or take off and transfer to make your new truck your own again. Tunes might actually hurt the trade value as warranty issues arise.

Like the housing market you had better line up the new vehicle before selling your truck lest you fall between two stools. Getting a 2021 for the trade value of a 2019 sure is enticing, another couple years of warranty etc. For those of you with loans, especially zero percent, the math calculation needs to be done as to the cost of ownership for the length contract.

BrowningGuy88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevy Traverse LT, 2018 Toyota Camry SE
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's not overpaying if you need something now and supply is limited. If you don't need it now, then just wait.
that’s what I am doing. I have an offer in on a truck. If they want to sell it, they know I will buy it. If not, I’ll buy one when the notion strikes.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Don't be surprised that soon there won't be any discounts or rebates on any remaining NEW 2021 vehicles that dealers have on their lots.

I've already seen it here. No dealer discounts advertised, and rebates seem a lot lower than last month.

I traded my 2020 for a 2021 for almost nothing.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
my local dealer removed all of the dealer discounts for rangers from the website, only list the MSRP now granted they only have 10 in stock.

*EDIT* I misspoke looks like there is $1500 discount now on most of them XL & XLTs and $2000 for Lariats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Don't be surprised that soon there won't be any discounts or rebates on any remaining NEW 2021 vehicles that dealers have on their lots.

I've already seen it here. No dealer discounts advertised, and rebates seem a lot lower than last month.

I traded my 2020 for a 2021 for almost nothing.
It seems like they are starting to change the rebates. I bought mine almost 2 weeks ago and they showed rebates of $2,250 for the Lariat and $1,750 on the others. The rebates were supposed to be in place until 7/6. Now, I see them at $2,000 and $1,500, except it still shows $3,000 off a Lariat that's been on lots for over 60 days.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
It seems like they are starting to change the rebates. I bought mine almost 2 weeks ago and they showed rebates of $2,250 for the Lariat and $1,750 on the others. The rebates were supposed to be in place until 7/6. Now, I see them at $2,000 and $1,500, except it still shows $3,000 off a Lariat that's been on lots for over 60 days.
There might be the $750 rebate included in there which is the "select inventory rebate", which is for an "aged" inventory vehicle on the lot for 61+ days.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
There might be the $750 rebate included in there which is the "select inventory rebate", which is for an "aged" inventory vehicle on the lot for 61+ days.
Yes, which is added to the standard rebate that was $2,250. It now shows it being $2,000. Rebates seem "in flux".

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
It has been maybe a month since I was out to one of the larger Ford dealers in the area. The last time out, the dealer had 7 total new cars/trucks on the lot for sale. They are a very big Super Duty dealer, zero trucks. Zero Rangers, 1 F150, a couple of Bronco Sports, the rest econo box sedans snd crossovers.

All of the above is with a dealer that in fatter times might have had 500 cars and trucks on the lot for sale.

It is going to be a long time before things return to normal.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
You want crazy...absurd crazy...
Local Ford dealer took a 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz in on trade...2980 miles...asking price is $44,980.00. NUTS!!!

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
We'll be chatting with our local dealer this week about trading in our Ingot XLT FX4. Their web trade estimate gave me a range of $34K - $37K. It will be interesting to see how that conversation goes, but I expect they plan to take in more bucks than they're giving out. I hate wheeler dealers.
Sponsored