Truck doing some wacky things...

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 5000 miles, and truck has been doing some strange stuff. No CEL however.

1. Random loses a gear sometimes. Literally the engine will rev high and then find the gear. Happens around 4th I want to say.

2. Coming out of a driveway, turning right and accelerating there is a grinding in the front end, maybe it's the traction control?

3. This was pretty big one today, almost call a tow truck.

Remote started, got in put the key in, shifted to reverse, went to feet and entire truck went nuts. Stut off, and prompted terrain management failure, advance track failure, see manual and would not start back up. :frown:

I turned the key off for a few seconds, and then everything was fine.

I hope this is not the beginning of things to come
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I'd take it to the dealer and get a record of it, even if it doesn't show up if they check it.

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord

1. Random loses a gear sometimes. Literally the engine will rev high and then find the gear. Happens around 4th I want to say.

2. Coming out of a driveway, turning right and accelerating there is a grinding in the front end, maybe it's the traction control?

3. This was pretty big one today, almost call a tow truck.

Remote started, got in put the key in, shifted to reverse, went to feet and entire truck went nuts. Stut off, and prompted terrain management failure, advance track failure, see manual and would not start back up. :frown:

I turned the key off for a few seconds, and then everything was fine.

I hope this is not the beginning of things to come
Time to call the Priest, your truck sounds possessed. Day 6 of having my truck and it’s in the shop for the CEL. Good luck with yours.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
6000 miles of trouble free Rangering, I can say the trans feels a little clueless at times, but I'm a pre-feb 15th build who has not yet done the TSB.
If you're built before that, you might want to take it in and see if they will do the TSB. Even still take it in just in case things get worse.

Claudess

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Sounds like the main control module has a memory problem or something. I would get them to swap it out. Definitely agree that it needs to be documented at the dealer.

brokenfib

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger (Lariat FX4), 2001 Ford Ranger (Edge 4x4), 2012 Subaru Outback
Vehicle Showcase

This happens to mine once a week. Happens mostly turning left from a stop. Sounds like grinding (almost like the sound of missing a gear in a manual transmission or something) and engine loses power for a few seconds.

Had it in the dealer for 2 days this week, their best guess was that the ABS was engaging when it shouldn't for some reason. They applied the TSB, I picked the truck up yesterday and it's still happening.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This happens to mine once a week. Happens mostly turning left from a stop. Sounds like grinding (almost like the sound of missing a gear in a manual transmission or something) and engine loses power for a few seconds.

Had it in the dealer for 2 days this week, their best guess was that the ABS was engaging when it shouldn't for some reason. They applied the TSB, I picked the truck up yesterday and it's still happening.
I have this exact issue happen to me a few times now.

My experience matches @Stic-o in that I'm making a sharp right turn, steering wheel completely turned, and the truck will start grinding badly (sound coming from the driver-side front tire) and a sudden loss of power/jerking of the front end.

Your explanation of the ABS freaking out seems to match what I'm experiencing. Maybe the ABS is over-correcting itself.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I have this exact issue happen to me a few times now.

My experience matches @Stic-o in that I'm making a sharp right turn, steering wheel completely turned, and the truck will start grinding badly (sound coming from the driver-side front tire) and a sudden loss of power/jerking of the front end.

Your explanation of the ABS freaking out seems to match what I'm experiencing. Maybe the ABS is over-correcting itself.
That happened to me once as well. I assumed it was the "corner control" reigning the truck back in from a sharp curve. It only happened once and freaked me out. I was driving into a sharp right turn at a moderate pace.

brokenfib

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That happened to me once as well. I assumed it was the "corner control" reigning the truck back in from a sharp curve. It only happened once and freaked me out. I was driving into a sharp right turn at a moderate pace.
Interesting. Corners don't seem to have to be sharp for mine to exhibit this. Turning left from a stop at a regular T-Junction intersection can trigger it.

brokenfib

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off the phone with the service tech again after reporting that the TSB did not resolve the "corner grinding" issue. His response was, "well, I'm sure Ford are working on a fix for it but we don't have anything to tell you yet - maybe check back in a month or so."

not exactly confidence inspiring...

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off the phone with the service tech again after reporting that the TSB did not resolve the "corner grinding" issue. His response was, "well, I'm sure Ford are working on a fix for it but we don't have anything to tell you yet - maybe check back in a month or so."

They said my old focus st, and never resolved it. Instead they quit making the car.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat
The corner grinding, if this were an F150, sounds like an IWE failure or a vacuum problem. Many F150 guys have changed the check valve in the system and it takes care of the grinding. Not sure if the Ranger uses the same type of vacuum powered system.

The surging and and advance trac failures, again in the F150, sound like a throttle body problem.

Aggie

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
The corner grinding, if this were an F150, sounds like an IWE failure or a vacuum problem. Many F150 guys have changed the check valve in the system and it takes care of the grinding. Not sure if the Ranger uses the same type of vacuum powered system.

The surging and and advance trac failures, again in the F150, sound like a throttle body problem.
Ranger don't have IWEs

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

I noticed that on my first left turn....don’t notice it now...