OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have let the dealership know about this, and the other threads in regards to this issue. I do like my dealer and I know the owner so until this incident I have been treated well. I just had an issue with me reporting the problem 200 miles over the warranty and Ford not taking care of what they thought the problem. And yeah, I overreacted here and am sorry for that.

I have texted the service manager who was working on this issue. Told him that according to many, the EGR valve (or whatever it is really called) seems to be the fix for these issues. And, a bad EGR valve can throw codes that would lead a tech to diagnose a bad torque converter. It appears that one tech somewhere finally figured out the EGR issue and posted the fix. He happened to be a pretty smart dude. His diagnosis and fix has spread like wildfire.

I will speak with the dealership after I return from a couple of hunting trips. Maybe we can all learn something.
Sponsored

Singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Occupation
Retired
Been having issues with my 2019 Ranger Lariat bucking and jerking when at low speed. Seems most common in a couple of situations. Going 25 mph and the truck is in 7th gear. Move the accelerator a little and it bucks and jerks. Same when in stop and go traffic.

Had this issue for some time and it got bac on a trip back home from our cabin. Called Ford immediately and I was slightly over the warrant of 60,000 (Had 60,300 miles). Ford dealership said they couldn't do anything as it was out of warranty. Called Ford and spoke with a nice guy who said Ford may be able o repair it free to me but nothing guaranteed.

Took it to the dealer today (first date they could get me in). They witnessed the problem and according to their machines, I have a bad torque converter and a couple of other things. Total cost to repair is around $3500. Dealership (who I like quite a bit by the way) called Ford and they agreed to pay $2000 leaving me with about $1500.

While this is a nice gesture, the problem happened before 60,000 miles and got much worse at the mileage mentioned above. Here are my questions

1. The dealership showed me a page of codes the truck kicked out when they put it on the diagnostic screen. I didn't get a close look but the list was long. Would those codes have a date associated with them by chance. IF so, it would be easy to show I had this problem before I called it in.
2. Any TSB's on something like this. I saw one for reprogramming the PCM but I think my issues are bigger than this.
3. I saw there is a class action lawsuit against Ford for their 10 speed transmission but it is only for F150's. I see many Ranger owners are sayg they have the same issue.
4. Suggestions on how to Ford to pay for the whole repair when I call Ford? Any information I don't have that I should get prior to calling? Any advice on how to sway them my way?

Mark
Hope you got my message concerning this problem

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hope you got my message concerning this problem
I didn’t get your message unless it takes awhile to get to me. Nothing. Got me curious now though

Singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Occupation
Retired
I sent msg stating EGR valved fixed my problem after they replaced my torque converter and transmission searching for problem. EGR valve will not show up on diagnostics test. Did not need torq or trans.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I sent msg stating EGR valved fixed my problem after they replaced my torque converter and transmission searching for problem. EGR valve will not show up on diagnostics test. Did not need torq or trans.
thanks. Now I won’t wonder. Amazing how many people have this issue and more amazing Ford keeps replacing trannies, torque converts and whatnot.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
thanks. Now I won’t wonder. Amazing how many people have this issue and more amazing Ford keeps replacing trannies, torque converts and whatnot.
That's a big shot out of the parts cannon and wonder what your reaction would have been had you shelled out $1,500 on the t converter only to find it was a < $50 part. Technicians often work off of diagnostics trees, wonder if torque converter trouble codes reference checking the egr system, if they didn;t hopefully Ford adds them. EGR systems suck big time, now and in the past, possibly Ford may be able to figure out how to trigger an egr fault when the sensor gives it up.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
That’s why I didn’t pull the trigger right away. I was asking a couple of questions and then I was referred to a thread of others with the same problem and a solution. When I was at the dealership I asked what happens if after spending all this money the problem persists. They said it would definitely fix my problem. So they didn’t answer the question as many others had the same fix as was suggested to me and it didn’t fix the problem until the EGR valve was replaced.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Mark, the part is called an EGR pressure sensor, not an EGR valve. There is an EGR valve on the engine, but replacing that part will not correct the problem that you had. I say this so that others reading this thread will not be misled to replace the wrong part.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mark, the part is called an EGR pressure sensor, not an EGR valve. There is an EGR valve on the engine, but replacing that part will not correct the problem that you had. I say this so that others reading this thread will not be misled to replace the wrong part.
Part number to replace is listed in the thread somewhere. And it isn't just an EGR valve as you mention.

Clint

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I pulled this from the other thread. Can you confirm this is the part? Just want to loop the two threads together for future readers.

5B138013-753C-4A10-B425-B52A228C068E.png

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I pulled this from the other thread. Can you confirm this is the part? Just want to loop the two threads together for future readers.

5B138013-753C-4A10-B425-B52A228C068E.png
I purchased part LB5Z9J433B

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I ordered one today also. My truck has been getting worse. For $25 it's worth replacing to see if the problem is fixed before having to deal with the service department.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I got one on order from Tasca just so I have a spare. For the price the insurance is worth it. Not to mention if someone else on here runs into the same issue we have some stock of our own to help out a fellow brotha or sista!

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I just changed mine out today. Haven't had a chance to test drive it yet. I will say though I didn't see any water/condensation inside the old lines though. We'll see. For $25 it's worth testing it.
Sponsored