Truck bed cranes or truck bed winch with ramp?

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, black package
I have a very heavy generator to haul around from time to time. Instead of asking my neighbor to help lift it to the truck bed, Ive been searching for a solution that is simple and quick. I came across these two options. Basically would cost the same if I shop around. Approximately $320-350.

The first video is the Truck Crane. Looks like a lot of work, but can get the job done.
Maxxhaul Truck Crane assembly and review

The second is a winch in the truck bed. Hate to have to hardwire something and bolt on.

There are other truck bed cranes permanently attached and of course, instead of an electric winch, a simple 4 to 1 pulley system could work as well, but would look kind of cheap.
Sponsored

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I'd be skeptical the front bed frame could handle the pull from the winch over time.
Would rather mount it to the floor with a frame that attaches to solid structure.

The cranes are cumbersome, but effective.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I would second the comment about the winch attached to the bed - I'm sure it is not designed to take that much load.

I'm not sure if your thought is to take the crane with you somewhere to unload it or if you just need to do it all at home, but if it is the latter, another option (that also does double duty) is a car engine hoist. I've used that to load heavy things into my bed. The downside is that it is not very portable. A car hoist is basically exactly the same as the hoist in that video - it just has a different base.

Let us know what you come up with. This is an interesting challenge I think.

OP
OP
Dustoff262

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought about attaching a hoist to the ceiling using a 2x6 as its base lag bolted into the joists. I even saw this video but I do not have a tall ceiling and the garage door takes up a third of the ceiling space when open.

OP
OP
Dustoff262

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should also add, that in all things, I look for double or even triple duty ways to solve a need that may arise in the future.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Not home, so no pics, but I have an aluminum range that works well and goes in any 2” receiver.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Are you unloading the gen at your destination? If so, how are you doing that? Will you be taking the lift with you? If you leave the gen in the truck, consider a platform the same height as the bed to store the gen on. When you need to load it into that truck, roll in off the platform directly into the bed, no need for lifting.

OP
OP
Dustoff262

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would need to drop it off for a few days, then pick it up and store it in the garage. Ive had help using a ramp. I just want something easier that I can do myself and can be of multipurpose use.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Ok, here’s what I bought in 2002.

Spritzlift aluminum hoist for 2” receiver.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
audio / semi retired
My Ranger won’t run an inverter that can do what a 13.5K gen can. Mine has a eye just for lifting. System works well. I have some clean power Generac, but don’t remember the model.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
audio / semi retired
It wasn’t in 2002. I have no idea in today’s dollars.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I thought about attaching a hoist to the ceiling using a 2x6 as its base lag bolted into the joists. I even saw this video but I do not have a tall ceiling and the garage door takes up a third of the ceiling space when open.
I have a similar product I bought years ago called the Garage Gator. It's now owned by "Pro Slat" but I bought mine when Garage Gator was its own company.

garage gator 2 – Proslat US

The weight limit is 220lbs. Which is fine for bikes and other stuff like that, but it's not a lot otherwise.

47724033412_fb067af5c1.jpg

47724033562_377c5d9e37.jpg
Sponsored