First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Hey Guys, 19, Lariat, with about 15k miles.

I've started to notice, that when the truck has been cold\off for sometime and I reverse out of my garage\driveway I pull onto the street (in R) and shift in to drive, from a complete stop, the vehicle really "bucks\bangs" into gear, and the entire truck shutters.

This does not happen when the vehicle has warmed up. I'm debating making a dealer appointment but wanted to see if anyone else experiences this especially with a cold transmission.

PFA, and thanks for any input.

20200531_184150.jpg
Sponsored

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Funny that you mention this, but today I experienced the very same thing. I usually back into my space, but this morning I had to reverse a bit to clear a car on the opposite side. The moment I re-engaged Drive, the truck/transmission had a very noticeable shake. Drove fine but did surprise me.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Known issue. Have you asked your dealer about this??

I "had" the same issue, but I must admit that Ford's Performance tune took care of 90% of it. Still a bit there, but not as severe.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I myself have the Livernois tune and it has stopped a bunch of issues like such. Now a few weeks ago we had a truck come i. That was jerking the transmission. After doing a reprogram the transmission was good to go so it may be possible it just needs a reprogram.

OP
OP
Engmus

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Interesting guys, I appreciate the feedback, I realized I don't notice this much as I often remote start my truck and give it a few minutes to warm up and that quickly I think the issue isn't as prominent, vs just hoping in and having it happen.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

I've started to notice, that when the truck has been cold\off for sometime and I reverse out of my garage\driveway I pull onto the street (in R) and shift in to drive, from a complete stop, the vehicle really "bucks\bangs" into gear, and the entire truck shutters.

This does not happen when the vehicle has warmed up. I'm debating making a dealer appointment but wanted to see if anyone else experiences this especially with a cold transmission.

20200531_184150.jpg

20200531_184150.jpg
Anthony,
We have experienced extremely low temperatures in Albuquerque with the artic blast. It got down to 7 degrees in my area and probably lower with the wind chill. I had the same experience as you. One morning was pulling out of the garage and the Truck was very slow and sluggish moving in reverse. I thought for sure that the parking brake was on but looked down and it was not engaged. I let it warm up in the driveway and took off with no problems. I also noticed that several times during this cold when I would start off from a parking lot even after idling a few minutes, the engine stumbles and the Truck moved slower than usual both in reverse and drive until it started to warm up. I have also observed by watching the temperature gauge that this Ranger takes longer to reach full operating temperature in both warm and cold weather than any other vehicle that I have owned. Hope this helps.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Starting a Eng. after sitting in the cold. Once it starts let it run a while to get the Eng. stabilized, and the trans oil to fill the convertor back up. The colder and longer you have let it sit then the more time to let the Eng. and trans to warm a little and get ready to go. Do you jump out of bed even if it is warm and go 0 to 60 in 10 seconds? :)

CrazyIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I also have this happen with the extreme cold we had in MN. The trans also hard shifts sometimes when its cold. I believe as others have mentioned that the trans fluid needs extra time to circulate after sitting in cold weather because this doesn't happen when its warm.

For what its worth there is a TSB out for this issue if you want to visit the dealer and other forum users have reported an improvement.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...d-or-engine-runs-rough-after-cold-start.9352/

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
I myself have the Livernois tune and it has stopped a bunch of issues like such. Now a few weeks ago we had a truck come i. That was jerking the transmission. After doing a reprogram the transmission was good to go so it may be possible it just needs a reprogram.
This is possible. I just had my valve body replaced and they put new code and all that crap on it and it’s been better. Not as smooth as the performance tune but better than the original.

OP
OP
Engmus

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Starting a Eng. after sitting in the cold. Once it starts let it run a while to get the Eng. stabilized, and the trans oil to fill the convertor back up. The colder and longer you have let it sit then the more time to let the Eng. and trans to warm a little and get ready to go. Do you jump out of bed even if it is warm and go 0 to 60 in 10 seconds? :)
For me, and what i'm experiencing this is after i've started my truck, let it warm up for about a minute or two, and reverse out of my driveway at normal speeds (5mph or less) I always drive slowly and carefully before the truck has reached operating temperatures.

When I hit 30k miles Im thinking heavily about having the transmission fluid exchanged, fresh filter and maybe switching to Amsoil fluid.
Sponsored