TPM system question

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
You don't need a tool just follow the following instructions. I have used this many times with no issues.

Ford Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Reset Instructions
There are two parts to resetting your Ford vehicle’s Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPSM). For this process you will need to:
(1) activate TPMS reset mode and (2) re-train each of your vehicle’s tire pressure sensors.

Tire-Sensor-Reset-Order_o-e1603412518706.jpg

Part 1: Activating Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset Mode
  1. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
  2. Without starting the engine, turn your key to the ON position.
  3. Quickly switch the hazard flashers on then off 3x.
Note: Once your vehicle enters TPMS reset mode, the horn will sound once and a message will appear in the information display. If this does not occur, repeat the sequence.

Part 2: Re-Training Your Tire Pressure Sensors
  1. Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
  2. Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
  3. Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
  4. Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
  5. Turn the ignition off.
Note: If at any point in the re-training process two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful. Please try repeating the sequence from PART 1: Activating TPMS Reset Mode.
The question is:
Will this procedure work on the Ranger?
Sponsored

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Cool Thanks, I knew some vehicle models allow it but not all, at least this makes it a alternative option for those without the tool, but the tool itself is not that expensive.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, this has been up for debate numerous times, and some of the posts are correct and some are not.

If you read the following from the manual, note the last sentence. this is where the confusion lies.

Let's take a normal tire rotation.
Rears - Straight Foward - To Front
Fronts - Crossed -Rears (LF-RR) - (RF-LR)
The TPMS system will operate normally and provide no errors.
Now let's play what if?
What if the now (LF) tire has low pressure?
Where is the BCM going to report on the dash? as being the Tire with the low pressure?
Answer: LR - (The Original Position) of the Tire

So, when you have a tire rotation done, have the shop do a relearn (Calibration) procedure.
I just recently had my tires rotated and questioned this as the some have mentioned that a relearn is not required.
Tech stated that I was correct, it is not required for the system to work but for it to be location specific accurate then a relearn is required.
To verify this, I used my Autel Scanner with TPMS function. and read the sensor locations prior to the rotation.
After Rotation performed the same and read the sensors in proper moved location, as they performed the relearn (Calibration)

So, your (5th Wheel) spare with TPMS sensor, (Question)
The system will only monitor 4ea sensors, so when the spare is rotated down to a wheel, that sensor will not be active until a relearn (Calibration) procedure is done.
Relearn Sensors: LF-RF-RR-LR in order, now the tire that was moved into the spare position, that sensor has now been forgotten and taken out of the monitoring system.
Until next rotation back down to a wheel position.
Note: The First time the (NEW) sensor is introduced into the system it may require activation.
See Attached

TPMS Function

NOTE:
When directed to train any TPMS sensors, use only the sensor training procedure outlined in this manual. Do not use the TPMS reset procedure outlined in the Owner's Literature as this procedure does not program new sensors to the module.

The TPMS uses 4 valve stem mounted sensors to monitor tire pressure. These sensors transmit tire pressure data to the RTM . Each individual sensor contains its own battery and transmits tire pressure data to the RTM . The RTM is a radio receiver which collects the tire pressure data and sends the information via K-Line directly to BCM and along the MS-CAN to the GWM which then sends the information to the BCM along the HS-CAN1 . All TPMS functions are controlled by the BCM . The TPMS sensors are trained (calibrated) to the BCM , which records the unique identifier for each sensor. The BCM records the location of each TPMS sensor based on the training (calibration) order and compares the tire pressure data sent by the sensors with a programmed tire pressure. This programmed pressure is specified on the VC label. If the tire pressure deviates from the programmed tire pressure the BCM , using the MS-CAN , signals the IPC to illuminate the TPMS warning indicator and display a message in the message center. The programmed tire pressure cannot be changed.

The diagnostic scan tool is useful in diagnosing TPMS concerns and may be used to verify the accuracy of the tire pressure data transmitted by the TPMS sensors. This is accomplished by comparing the BCM tire pressure PID data to the actual tire pressure using a digital tire pressure gauge.

It is not necessary to train the sensors after a tire rotation on vehicles with the same front and rear tire pressures however, the BCM cannot recognize the sensor identifiers have been moved to different positions and retains the original position information for each sensor.

and this for the BCM

BCM

The BCM is a multifunction module that monitors all sensor inputs and all CAN messages that relate to the TPMS . The BCM records and retains the unique sensor identifier of each TPMS sensor.

The BCM retains the previous sensor location information following a tire rotation. For the BCM to learn the new sensor location, the sensors must be trained (calibrated) to the BCM .
Refer to: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Location Calibration (204-04 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)) .
Additionally, the sensors must be trained when a new BCM is installed.

When installing a new BCM , there are several procedures that must be carried out in order for the module to function correctly. These procedures include, but are not limited to; PMI , anti-theft parameter reset, programming keyless entry remote and setting customer preferences.
Refer to: Body Control Module (BCM) - Vehicles Built From: 17-08-2015, LHD (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules) .
Refer to: Body Control Module (BCM) - Vehicles Built From: 17-08-2015, LHD (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules) .

Additionally, the sensors must be trained when a new BCM is installed. TPMS pressure data is cleared from the BCM when the module is flashed or reconfigured. When the data is cleared, the tire pressure DID's reset to the factory default of 1033 kPa (149.96 psi) and the IPC displays dashes for the tire pressures. The sensors must be activated to transmit the latest tire pressure information.

RTM

The RTM is a radio receiver used to collect the tire pressure data from the TPMS sensors.

TPMS Sensor

Each of the 4 TPMS sensors contain a battery, a tire pressure sensor and a radio transmitter. The TPMS sensor radio transmissions are sent approximately once every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32.2 km/h (20 mph).

I hope this clarifies the system for everyone.
From my experience, the sensors know where they have moved after rotation....

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
If they self-learn new position, the manuals leave that important note out, I am sure any shop that performs the tire rotation / balance they are performing the relearn (calibration) procedure at time of service.
TPMS came about after I stepped away from automotive and the Ranger is the first vehicle, I have owned with it.
I have dealt with the system for family and friends who decided to just ignore the faultily TPMS sensor over the years.
So, the only real test would be to rotate the tires and drive it for a while, then come back and let some air out of a tire and note which one is displayed on the message center as low.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
If they self-learn new position, the manuals leave that important note out, I am sure any shop that performs the tire rotation / balance they are performing the relearn (calibration) procedure at time of service.
TPMS came about after I stepped away from automotive and the Ranger is the first vehicle, I have owned with it.
I have dealt with the system for family and friends who decided to just ignore the faultily TPMS sensor over the years.
So, the only real test would be to rotate the tires and drive it for a while, then come back and let some air out of a tire and note which one is displayed on the message center as low.
I have done a rotation with a tire that had a slow leak...the system knew where the slow leak tire moved to...

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying this procedure in the morning. The front left tire TPMS is reading 0 psi and it is not flat.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yes.
Generally, if the tire is not turning, its not transmitting which is why your vehicle needs to move for a short time before the system updates.
The Ranger must not though cause I let air out in the garage with the key on and the pressure dropped.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The above procedure is for position relearn; it appears the LF sensor has failed.
The sensor is not completely dead, or it would be (X) on your indication.
But you might try pulling Fuse 32 - Interior Fuse panel - This is the RTM Fuse, Radio Transceiver Module and see if that helps.
Another is to perform a BCM self-test, this test will perform a full TPMS system reset, the indications will (x) out till you take it for a short drive. Then the rotation of the wheels will wake up the sensors and hopefully the LF indication will return.
Another thing to wake it up is to add about 10 psi to the tire, to force the sensor to see a PSI change.
and then drop back to the proper PSI range.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The Ranger must not though because I let air out in the garage with the key on and the pressure dropped.
I do not know the exact timing of it, but the sensors can / will enter a sleep mode as the truck sits, the sensors operate by a battery. within the sensor itself.
I am thinking it falls in line with the other truck modules 10-15 minutes with key off, all modules will enter sleep mode.
Once they have entered sleep mode, it takes a speed of 20 MPH to wake them up and transmit PSI data. (Refreshed PSI Data) This data is now refreshed every 60 seconds as long as the wheel is turning.
This PSI data is transmitted via radio frequency to the RTM and the RTM transmits the data to the BCM, the BCM then sends this info to the IPC for display.

So, yes you can see immediate displayed PSI change as long as the sensor has not gone to sleep.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I do not know the exact timing of it, but the sensors can / will enter a sleep mode as the truck sits, the sensors operate by a battery. within the sensor itself.
I am thinking it falls in line with the other truck modules 10-15 minutes with key off, all modules will enter sleep mode.
Once they have entered sleep mode, it takes a speed of 20 MPH to wake them up and transmit PSI data. (Refreshed PSI Data) This data is now refreshed every 60 seconds as long as the wheel is turning.
This PSI data is transmitted via radio frequency to the RTM and the RTM transmits the data to the BCM, the BCM then sends this info to the IPC for display.

So, yes you can see immediate displayed PSI change as long as the sensor has not gone to sleep.
Damn sensors, sleeping on the job what the hell do I pay them for!

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Every vehicle I have owned that has TPM system has always relearned on its own without me having to do anything except drive the vehicle for a few minutes.

That being said. I have not tested that on my 2020 Ranger simply because I let the dealership do my oil changes and tire rotations.

Maybe I'll throw my full size pair on and see. The spare who'll throw an error code since it doesn't have the sensor. And the system should relearn after driving a few minutes after putting the regular tire with sensor back on.

That is how it has always worked on all my other vehicles with TPM.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired

My truck sat for 15 hours, and I just went out to lower the pressure (I over filled them on Friday after a wheeling trip air up). Turn the truck on to accessory and all 4 came up as 39 psi, then I dropped them all to 36 while the truck was still on. I went back to the dash and it showed 3 @ 38, 1 @ 39. Turned the truck off, then back to acc and it showed them all at 36 or 37.

Every vehicle I have owned that has TPM system has always relearned on its own without me having to do anything except drive the vehicle for a few minutes.

That being said. I have not tested that on my 2020 Ranger simply because I let the dealership do my oil changes and tire rotations.

Maybe I'll throw my full size pair on and see. The spare who'll throw an error code since it doesn't have the sensor. And the system should relearn after driving a few minutes after putting the regular tire with sensor back on.

That is how it has always worked on all my other vehicles with TPM.
This is my experience. My Ranger re-learns own it's on as well. I rotate between 6 summer tires and 4 winters, all 10 are on rims with TPMS installed in each. Even when I rotate my summers, and carry the 2 spare in the bed, then go for a drive, it figures out they are not connected and picks up the 2 new installs after about 20 miles or so. The same happened with my 2010 F150, although it was only 5 tires, not 6.

Last edited:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Final note, Mr. Airline Tech, I always enjoy your posts. On more than one occasion have read them more than once to ensure I'm grasping all of details. But your posts are ALWAYS extremely informative. While I can only speak for myself, your input to the forum is much appreciated.
Agreed!

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
You don't need a tool just follow the following instructions. I have used this many times with no issues.

Ford Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Reset Instructions
There are two parts to resetting your Ford vehicle’s Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPSM). For this process you will need to:
(1) activate TPMS reset mode and (2) re-train each of your vehicle’s tire pressure sensors.

Tire-Sensor-Reset-Order_o-e1603412518706.jpg

Part 1: Activating Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset Mode
  1. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
  2. Without starting the engine, turn your key to the ON position.
  3. Quickly switch the hazard flashers on then off 3x.
Note: Once your vehicle enters TPMS reset mode, the horn will sound once and a message will appear in the information display. If this does not occur, repeat the sequence.

Part 2: Re-Training Your Tire Pressure Sensors
  1. Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
  2. Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
  3. Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
  4. Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
  5. Turn the ignition off.
Note: If at any point in the re-training process two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful. Please try repeating the sequence from PART 1: Activating TPMS Reset Mode.
Wow, you don't even have to air them back up!:crackup:
Sponsored