TPM system question

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Need some input from the more mechanically intelligent folks on here... so the other 97% of you just back away from the keyboard and take a seat. :LOL: I kid! I kid!

So I've decided to buy a Tremor wheel for my spare. But here's where my confusion starts. (On this subject... don't get me started on my general confusion in life.) So, I mount my spare on a Tremor wheel. Get the benefit of 5 tire rotation, no "new" spare getting old, etc. But what about the TPM system? Will it try to monitor the spare also and get totally confused? Or does it only read data from the 4 wheel positions?

If I have to have one wheel of the 5 with no TPM that is going to be a real pain in the ass.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Need some input from the more mechanically intelligent folks on here... so the other 97% of you just back away from the keyboard and take a seat. :LOL: I kid! I kid!

So I've decided to buy a Tremor wheel for my spare. But here's where my confusion starts. (On this subject... don't get me started on my general confusion in life.) So, I mount my spare on a Tremor wheel. Get the benefit of 5 tire rotation, no "new" spare getting old, etc. But what about the TPM system? Will it try to monitor the spare also and get totally confused? Or does it only read data from the 4 wheel positions?

If I have to have one wheel of the 5 with no TPM that is going to be a real pain in the ass.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Part of the 97% but the spare will not show.

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
So I'll be able to run a TPM in all 5? No problem?
Yes.
Generally, if the tire is not turning, its not transmitting which is why your vehicle needs to move for a short time before the system updates.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Ok, this has been up for debate numerous times, and some of the posts are correct and some are not.

If you read the following from the manual, note the last sentence. this is where the confusion lies.

Let's take a normal tire rotation.
Rears - Straight Foward - To Front
Fronts - Crossed -Rears (LF-RR) - (RF-LR)
The TPMS system will operate normally and provide no errors.
Now let's play what if?
What if the now (LF) tire has low pressure?
Where is the BCM going to report on the dash? as being the Tire with the low pressure?
Answer: LR - (The Original Position) of the Tire

So, when you have a tire rotation done, have the shop do a relearn (Calibration) procedure.
I just recently had my tires rotated and questioned this as the some have mentioned that a relearn is not required.
Tech stated that I was correct, it is not required for the system to work but for it to be location specific accurate then a relearn is required.
To verify this, I used my Autel Scanner with TPMS function. and read the sensor locations prior to the rotation.
After Rotation performed the same and read the sensors in proper moved location, as they performed the relearn (Calibration)

So, your (5th Wheel) spare with TPMS sensor, (Question)
The system will only monitor 4ea sensors, so when the spare is rotated down to a wheel, that sensor will not be active until a relearn (Calibration) procedure is done.
Relearn Sensors: LF-RF-RR-LR in order, now the tire that was moved into the spare position, that sensor has now been forgotten and taken out of the monitoring system.
Until next rotation back down to a wheel position.
Note: The First time the (NEW) sensor is introduced into the system it may require activation.
See Attached

TPMS Function

NOTE:
When directed to train any TPMS sensors, use only the sensor training procedure outlined in this manual. Do not use the TPMS reset procedure outlined in the Owner's Literature as this procedure does not program new sensors to the module.

The TPMS uses 4 valve stem mounted sensors to monitor tire pressure. These sensors transmit tire pressure data to the RTM . Each individual sensor contains its own battery and transmits tire pressure data to the RTM . The RTM is a radio receiver which collects the tire pressure data and sends the information via K-Line directly to BCM and along the MS-CAN to the GWM which then sends the information to the BCM along the HS-CAN1 . All TPMS functions are controlled by the BCM . The TPMS sensors are trained (calibrated) to the BCM , which records the unique identifier for each sensor. The BCM records the location of each TPMS sensor based on the training (calibration) order and compares the tire pressure data sent by the sensors with a programmed tire pressure. This programmed pressure is specified on the VC label. If the tire pressure deviates from the programmed tire pressure the BCM , using the MS-CAN , signals the IPC to illuminate the TPMS warning indicator and display a message in the message center. The programmed tire pressure cannot be changed.

The diagnostic scan tool is useful in diagnosing TPMS concerns and may be used to verify the accuracy of the tire pressure data transmitted by the TPMS sensors. This is accomplished by comparing the BCM tire pressure PID data to the actual tire pressure using a digital tire pressure gauge.

It is not necessary to train the sensors after a tire rotation on vehicles with the same front and rear tire pressures however, the BCM cannot recognize the sensor identifiers have been moved to different positions and retains the original position information for each sensor.

and this for the BCM

BCM

The BCM is a multifunction module that monitors all sensor inputs and all CAN messages that relate to the TPMS . The BCM records and retains the unique sensor identifier of each TPMS sensor.

The BCM retains the previous sensor location information following a tire rotation. For the BCM to learn the new sensor location, the sensors must be trained (calibrated) to the BCM .
Refer to: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Location Calibration (204-04 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)) .
Additionally, the sensors must be trained when a new BCM is installed.

When installing a new BCM , there are several procedures that must be carried out in order for the module to function correctly. These procedures include, but are not limited to; PMI , anti-theft parameter reset, programming keyless entry remote and setting customer preferences.
Refer to: Body Control Module (BCM) - Vehicles Built From: 17-08-2015, LHD (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules) .
Refer to: Body Control Module (BCM) - Vehicles Built From: 17-08-2015, LHD (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules) .

Additionally, the sensors must be trained when a new BCM is installed. TPMS pressure data is cleared from the BCM when the module is flashed or reconfigured. When the data is cleared, the tire pressure DID's reset to the factory default of 1033 kPa (149.96 psi) and the IPC displays dashes for the tire pressures. The sensors must be activated to transmit the latest tire pressure information.

RTM

The RTM is a radio receiver used to collect the tire pressure data from the TPMS sensors.

TPMS Sensor

Each of the 4 TPMS sensors contain a battery, a tire pressure sensor and a radio transmitter. The TPMS sensor radio transmissions are sent approximately once every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32.2 km/h (20 mph).

I hope this clarifies the system for everyone.

Attachments

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Yes.
Generally, if the tire is not turning, its not transmitting which is why your vehicle needs to move for a short time before the system updates.
I did not know that! Thanks Radioman. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Ok, this has been up for debate numerous times, and some of the posts are correct and some are not.

If you read the following from the manual, note the last sentence. this is where the confusion lies.

Let's take a normal tire rotation.
Rears - Straight Foward - To Front
Fronts - Crossed -Rears (LF-RR) - (RF-LR)
The TPMS system will operate normally and provide no errors.
Now let's play what if?
What if the now (LF) tire has low pressure?
Where is the BCM going to report on the dash? as being the Tire with the low pressure?
Answer: LR - (The Original Position) of the Tire

So, when you have a tire rotation done, have the shop do a relearn (Calibration) procedure.
I just recently had my tires rotated and questioned this as the some have mentioned that a relearn is not required.
Tech stated that I was correct, it is not required for the system to work but for it to be location specific accurate then a relearn is required.
To verify this, I used my Autel Scanner with TPMS function. and read the sensor locations prior to the rotation.
After Rotation performed the same and read the sensors in proper moved location, as they performed the relearn (Calibration)

So, your (5th Wheel) spare with TPMS sensor, (Question)
The system will only monitor 4ea sensors, so when the spare is rotated down to a wheel, that sensor will not be active until a relearn (Calibration) procedure is done.
Relearn Sensors: LF-RF-RR-LR in order, now the tire that was moved into the spare position, that sensor has now been forgotten and taken out of the monitoring system.
Until next rotation back down to a wheel position.
Note: The First time the (NEW) sensor is introduced into the system it may require activation.
See Attached

TPMS Function

NOTE:
When directed to train any TPMS sensors, use only the sensor training procedure outlined in this manual. Do not use the TPMS reset procedure outlined in the Owner's Literature as this procedure does not program new sensors to the module.

The TPMS uses 4 valve stem mounted sensors to monitor tire pressure. These sensors transmit tire pressure data to the RTM . Each individual sensor contains its own battery and transmits tire pressure data to the RTM . The RTM is a radio receiver which collects the tire pressure data and sends the information via K-Line directly to BCM and along the MS-CAN to the GWM which then sends the information to the BCM along the HS-CAN1 . All TPMS functions are controlled by the BCM . The TPMS sensors are trained (calibrated) to the BCM , which records the unique identifier for each sensor. The BCM records the location of each TPMS sensor based on the training (calibration) order and compares the tire pressure data sent by the sensors with a programmed tire pressure. This programmed pressure is specified on the VC label. If the tire pressure deviates from the programmed tire pressure the BCM , using the MS-CAN , signals the IPC to illuminate the TPMS warning indicator and display a message in the message center. The programmed tire pressure cannot be changed.

The diagnostic scan tool is useful in diagnosing TPMS concerns and may be used to verify the accuracy of the tire pressure data transmitted by the TPMS sensors. This is accomplished by comparing the BCM tire pressure PID data to the actual tire pressure using a digital tire pressure gauge.

It is not necessary to train the sensors after a tire rotation on vehicles with the same front and rear tire pressures however, the BCM cannot recognize the sensor identifiers have been moved to different positions and retains the original position information for each sensor.

and this for the BCM

BCM

The BCM is a multifunction module that monitors all sensor inputs and all CAN messages that relate to the TPMS . The BCM records and retains the unique sensor identifier of each TPMS sensor.

The BCM retains the previous sensor location information following a tire rotation. For the BCM to learn the new sensor location, the sensors must be trained (calibrated) to the BCM .
Refer to: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Location Calibration (204-04 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)) .
Additionally, the sensors must be trained when a new BCM is installed.

When installing a new BCM , there are several procedures that must be carried out in order for the module to function correctly. These procedures include, but are not limited to; PMI , anti-theft parameter reset, programming keyless entry remote and setting customer preferences.

Additionally, the sensors must be trained when a new BCM is installed. TPMS pressure data is cleared from the BCM when the module is flashed or reconfigured. When the data is cleared, the tire pressure DID's reset to the factory default of 1033 kPa (149.96 psi) and the IPC displays dashes for the tire pressures. The sensors must be activated to transmit the latest tire pressure information.

RTM

The RTM is a radio receiver used to collect the tire pressure data from the TPMS sensors.

TPMS Sensor

Each of the 4 TPMS sensors contain a battery, a tire pressure sensor and a radio transmitter. The TPMS sensor radio transmissions are sent approximately once every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32.2 km/h (20 mph).

I hope this clarifies the system for everyone.
Perfectly clear!
:oops:

Now my head hurts.......... and I've not even read the PDF's yet. Got a feeling that I'll be on my second cup of caffeine by the time I've tried to comprehend those.

Appreciate the info. Truly.

Sigh. I miss when vehicles were simple.

EDIT:

PDF's are pretty basic. Location calibration seems easy enough. I'll be trying that later this morning. Me being me.... it probably won't go correctly the first time. After all, I am fully in the 97%. :like:

Final note, Mr. Airline Tech, I always enjoy your posts. On more than one occasion have read them more than once to ensure I'm grasping all of details. But your posts are ALWAYS extremely informative. While I can only speak for myself, your input to the forum is much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
I heard the spare is limited to 50mph and has no TPMS...what?
Tremor has the same tire as a spare. Just on a steel wheel.

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Never mind. Went to do the calibration and read the directions in detail. Gotta buy an electric tool gizmo. So.... gotta do that first.

WTF ever happened to simply grabbing a wrench?

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Never mind. Went to do the calibration and read the directions in detail. Gotta buy an electric tool gizmo. So.... gotta do that first.

WTF ever happened to simply grabbing a wrench?
There is a button combo in the cab that can be done without the need to plug anything in. I've done it at each tire rotation. Some systems you can activate each sensor by releasing air from the tire until the horn sounds, but I've not tried it with the Ranger. Info below taken from here: https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/article/tpms-diagnostic-information-ford-ranger/

With Keyed Ignition:
  • Engage the parking brake and inflate all tires
  • Turn ignition to the OFF position
  • Press and release the brake pedal
  • Quickly turn the ignition from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) three times, ending in RUN
  • Turn ignition OFF
  • Quickly turn the ignition from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) three times, ending in RUN
  • NOTE: All the steps for this process must be performed with 10 seconds
  • A single horn chirp will indicate the relearn mode is active
  • Use your TPMS tool to activate the left front sensor
  • A single horn will sound to indicate sensor learning successful
  • Repeat for the right front, right rear and left front sensors
  • TRAINING MODE COMPLETE will display on the message center when relearn is finished
With Push-Button Ignition:
  • Important note, some models require the start button to be pressed twice (without pressing the brake) to enter RUN mode (Ignition ON/Engine OFF). If this is the case, modify steps 3 and 5 as noted.
  • Engage the parking brake and inflate all tires
  • With the vehicle OFF, push and release the brake pedal
  • Push START button 5 times (NOTE: 8 times if 2x-to-RUN)
  • Push START button 6 times (NOTE: 9 times if 2x-to-RUN)
  • A single horn chirp will indicate the relearn mode is active
  • Use the tool to activate the left front sensor
  • A single horn sounds to indicate sensor learning successful
  • Repeat for right front, right rear and left rear tires
  • TRAINING MODE COMPLETE will display on the message center when relearn is finished
I use one of these to activate each sensor. Takes two minutes max to perform the relearn after a rotation.

1685810296630.png

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Yep understand it. But I have to order a TPMS tool. Hence my comment about the old days and simply needing a wrench.

2021Ranger

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I was going to do the same thing but I have 18“ wheels that came with the truck and got stuck with a 17” spare tire. :facepalm:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Well, I had no idea. Guess I'll be adding/releasing air in randon tires until I hit the right one.

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired
You don't need a tool just follow the following instructions. I have used this many times with no issues.

Ford Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Reset Instructions
There are two parts to resetting your Ford vehicle’s Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPSM). For this process you will need to:
(1) activate TPMS reset mode and (2) re-train each of your vehicle’s tire pressure sensors.

Tire-Sensor-Reset-Order_o-e1603412518706.jpg

Part 1: Activating Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset Mode
  1. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
  2. Without starting the engine, turn your key to the ON position.
  3. Quickly switch the hazard flashers on then off 3x.
Note: Once your vehicle enters TPMS reset mode, the horn will sound once and a message will appear in the information display. If this does not occur, repeat the sequence.

Part 2: Re-Training Your Tire Pressure Sensors
  1. Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
  2. Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side front tire until the horn sounds once.
  3. Decrease the air pressure in the passenger-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
  4. Decrease the air pressure in the driver-side rear tire until the horn sounds once.
  5. Turn the ignition off.
Note: If at any point in the re-training process two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful. Please try repeating the sequence from PART 1: Activating TPMS Reset Mode.
Sponsored