First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew 2 wheel drive
Occupation
Sales
Thanks to all for sharing their experience. I am now confident that the Ranger is up to the task. We bought a trailer last night and I am looking forward to getting the Ranger set up for towing.
I do have one last question regarding the brake controller. I have decided to use the Redarc unit but am wondering if the Ford version offers any advantages over the version from e trailer.
Thank you again for all the advice!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to all for sharing their experience. I am now confident that the Ranger is up to the task. We bought a trailer last night and I am looking forward to getting the Ranger set up for towing.
I do have one last question regarding the brake controller. I have decided to use the Redarc unit but am wondering if the Ford version offers any advantages over the version from e trailer.
Hi Paul,

Congrats on your RV purchase! Before you leave on your first adventure, take the truck and trailer as loaded to your friendly truck stop CAT scale and get the whole thing weighed and then just the trailer. This will give you any indication of being overloaded and resultant peace of mind.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP

Spiritrider1

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Hi Paul,

Congrats on your RV purchase! Before you leave on your first adventure, take the truck and trailer as loaded to your friendly truck stop CAT scale and get the whole thing weighed and then just the trailer. This will give you any indication of being overloaded and resultant peace of mind.

Best,
Phil
Thank you, great suggestion.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I believe the ford version works with the advanced braking system in the truck. To me well worth the bit of extra $$$ they are asking for it.

Reactions: EJH

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Truck is rated to tow 7500 lb. so I wouldn't worry about it. Suggestions above are good. Change the fluids more often than the manual says, not just the oil but the axle and especially the transmission (and front axle and transfer case if you have a 4x4).

OP
OP

Spiritrider1

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Wanted to post some pics of the Ranger now ready for towing. Thanks to all for the good advice. Decided to go with the Redarc brake control, Andersen WD hitch, Draw Tite max frame hitch/receiver and T-one wiring harness. Haven’t done a bunch of miles yet but so far seems to tow as it should.

Attachments

OP
OP

Spiritrider1

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
What are the recommendations for using the electronic sway control on the truck with a anti sway WD hitch? Do they work together or do you only use one?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Wanted to post some pics of the Ranger now ready for towing. Thanks to all for the good advice. Decided to go with the Redarc brake control, Andersen WD hitch, Draw Tite max frame hitch/receiver and T-one wiring harness. Haven’t done a bunch of miles yet but so far seems to tow as it should.
Looks good! If I was buying a hitch myself, I would go with the Andersen also. I got my Fastway E2 as part of the sales negotiation, so I will use it, but feel the Andersen is one of the best. The issue I have with the E2 (and other similar hitches that use spacer washers) is what to do when you are between washers? I compromise and use the lower number (6), but it does also micro sway more than I like in wind, vs using the higher number of washers (7), which is too firm and also too tough to get the spring bars on...
Sponsored