Towing 4 Down

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Dave did you happen to take a photo of your tail light install? Would like to see where you drill the hole for bulb .
thanks
The XLT and Lariat have LED tail lights. The XL does not.

I learned this the hard way as I bought the bulb kit and needed the LED kit instead.

No where I could find does it say in the Ford specs that the XLT has LED tail lights. It does.

To answer your question here are some pics from someone with an XL:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/anybody-towing-2019-ranger-441429-2.html
Sponsored

BillinPCB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Miata, 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT, 2019 Ford F53 Motorhome
Dave did you happen to take a photo of your tail light install? Would like to see where you drill the hole for bulb .
thanks
If your Lariat has the BLIS (I think it does) there is no room in the light assembly to drill and install an incandescent bulb. Those are very expensive assemblies due to the BLIS radar and I would not want to be drilling on them. I recommend getting the diode kit and be done with it. There is a very good video on etrailer.com on installing the diode kit for these tail lights.

Pete Warfield

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SX4
If your Lariat has the BLIS (I think it does) there is no room in the light assembly to drill and install an incandescent bulb. Those are very expensive assemblies due to the BLIS radar and I would not want to be drilling on them. I recommend getting the diode kit and be done with it. There is a very good video on etrailer.com on installing the diode kit for these tail lights.
Thanks Bill I’m looking at the above photo and that is not what I have so , yes I’ll either go the diode route or the secondary lights( tailgate light bar )

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Bill I’m looking at the above photo and that is not what I have so , yes I’ll either go the diode route or the secondary lights( tailgate light bar )
Yep...I went the diode route...works well! Did not want extra taillights as the effort to keep the wiring to a minimum.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Pete Warfield

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SX4
Yep...I went the diode route...works well! Did not want extra taillights as the effort to keep the wiring to a minimum.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil , I have a new wiring harness (fused where it needs to be) run back from the front bumper back along frame and will either install diodes or extra lights, and Patriot 3 brake control was deliverEd today. I am almost ready to try everything out with a test run, which brings me to my next and most troublesome task. Actually towing behind my RV how will I know truck is tracking properly? Did you do a ” test run”? I’m hestitant to run down the road until I have checked everything out and suggestions?
thanks Pete

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil , I have a new wiring harness (fused where it needs to be) run back from the front bumper back along frame and will either install diodes or extra lights, and Patriot 3 brake control was deliverEd today. I am almost ready to try everything out with a test run, which brings me to my next and most troublesome task. Actually towing behind my RV how will I know truck is tracking properly? Did you do a ” test run”? I’m hestitant to run down the road until I have checked everything out and suggestions?
thanks Pete
Hi Pete,

I did not do a test run per se. I created a wiring harness that was 50 ft long that would hook up to the Ranger in its garage and the RV in its garage, The RV is backed into a 60 ft long garage. Then I could test out the light system. The biggest problem was the brake system. The power from the Ranger times out after 2 hours, thus rendering the Ranger without power to the system...I had to add a separate wiring to the supplemental brake directly from the battery. So hooked the Ranger up and headed out to Flagstaff and Prescott with our tortoise on board.

What I did was to ensure the Transfer case on the Ranger was in Neutral is to pull up to the RV, Hook up and then go through the procedure to set the transfer case in Neutral. I left slack in the tow bar and when in neutral I released the parking brake and allowed the Ranger to roll forward toward the RV. This is how I knew the shift to neutral was really in neutral as I did not trust the dash panel saying it was. I did this every time we moved during the month up in the cooler climates. Our tortoise seemed to like the ride and the cooler temps as well...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retried

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
What I did was to ensure the Transfer case on the Ranger was in Neutral is to pull up to the RV, Hook up and then go through the procedure to set the transfer case in Neutral. I left slack in the tow bar and when in neutral I released the parking brake and allowed the Ranger to roll forward toward the RV. This is how I knew the shift to neutral was really in neutral as I did not trust the dash panel saying it was. I did this every time we moved during the month up in the cooler climates. Our tortoise seemed to like the ride and the cooler temps as well...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retried
I cannot see my toad except in the monitor unless I am making a turn.

When I start out I slowly creep along to make sure the car’s wheels are turning. If they are not won’t the car drag and you’ll know immediately? I am trying to figure out the advantage of your system rolling the Ranger forward.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot see my toad except in the monitor unless I am making a turn.

When I start out I slowly creep along to make sure the car’s wheels are turning. If they are not won’t the car drag and you’ll know immediately? I am trying to figure out the advantage of your system rolling the Ranger forward.
Hi RMD,

Okay... another embarrassing back story. We were to meet several RVs to caravan to a mini rally of our RV group. I was running late and when I pulled my RV out of the garage, I went through the hook up of my 2007 Ranger, having set the parking brake to hold it while I hooked it up. Being a Diesel Pusher with a CAT C7 with over 850 ft lbs of torque, I hopped in to meet my friends that were calling me..."where and when are you joining us?" So Margie and I boarded the coach and I headed out down the street. Quarter of a mile to the end of the street the fellow on the corner ran out failing his arms....I stopped and asked him what was wrong. He told me my rear tires were flat and the smoke was of the nature to mitigate mosquitoes, of which we have none. Looked in the mirror at the smoke. The Cat C7 overpowered the parking brake and I felt nothing. Lesson learned. I triple check the parking brake is released and my Roll forward guarantees the vehicle is in neutral. It was an expensive lesson learned to have to replace otherwise good tires on my Ranger. ?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Pete Warfield

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SX4
Hi Pete,

I did not do a test run per se. I created a wiring harness that was 50 ft long that would hook up to the Ranger in its garage and the RV in its garage, The RV is backed into a 60 ft long garage. Then I could test out the light system. The biggest problem was the brake system. The power from the Ranger times out after 2 hours, thus rendering the Ranger without power to the system...I had to add a separate wiring to the supplemental brake directly from the battery. So hooked the Ranger up and headed out to Flagstaff and Prescott with our tortoise on board.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retried
Hi Phil/all, I had my first test run yesterday and all went well. We drove both vehicles to the local High school parking lot and connected my Ranger to my class C my wife ,via cell phone watched as I drove around the lot testing the turning radius , lights and brakes ( blue ox Patriot 3) . I was amazed how well the ranger towed behind with no issues. I drove connected to the highway and went up a few exits at 55-60 mph ,again no issues. Very happy with this set up as I have plenty of reserve weight capacity .
All I need is a clear path to Montana/Wyoming in August. Thanks to all of you who shared your information, advice and experiences with me.
Pete

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
When not towing but the tow pins left in place I get an intermittent obstruction alarm on the front bumper. Right side more than left.

Any ideas, other than removing the tow pins?

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When not towing but the tow pins left in place I get an intermittent obstruction alarm on the front bumper. Right side more than left.

Any ideas, other than removing the tow pins?
Roadmaster or Blue Ox?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not familiar with Blue Ox but with Roadmaster baseplates, I have to turn off the front sensors until I remove the Tow brackets.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Dan W.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Oil & Gas industry
Hi Folks,

Just towed my Ranger behind our Diesel pusher motor home. Tucson area to Prescott on back roads. Ranger worked perfectly! Toe base plates from Roadmaster. Wiring of brake lights and turn signals worked as planned too! whew!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Company. Retired

Dan W.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Oil & Gas industry
Hi Folks,

Just towed my Ranger behind our Diesel pusher motor home. Tucson area to Prescott on back roads. Ranger worked perfectly! Toe base plates from Roadmaster. Wiring of brake lights and turn signals worked as planned too! whew!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Company. Retired

I just posted this in towing but since I am new to this forum I am posting here as well - not exactly sure how this forum process works!

Hello fellow Ranger drivers. We just bought a 2018 Minnie Winnie and a new 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 to tow after ~15 years with a travel trailer towed by an F-250. We are preparing for a 2 week trip from Oklahoma to northwest Colorado in July, and I have several questions and honestly some concerns about flat towing the Ranger.

I have installed the Roadmaster base plate and wiring kit and also purchased the Blue Ox Patriot in-cab brake. Would appreciate your inputs to any or all of my questions, and thank you in advance!
  • I have seen other threads expressing concern over battery drain and resultant potential transmission failure - what is the best method to run a power line from the RV to the Ranger? Understanding you may not have knowledge about my RV, the more specific question is how to hook a power supply to the Ranger?
  • On another thread it was stated the in-cab power supply times out - what is the best method to run power to the Patriot brake?
  • I was intending to run the brake break-away cable through the engine compartment and the driver's side door to the brake - any concerns with this?
  • Is there a problem with driving the truck for some distance just prior to hooking up and towing?
  • Is there a recommended maximum speed to tow? I am not intending anything crazy, probably 65mph or maybe 70mph max.
  • Does anyone have concerns with towing 500-600 miles+ without unhooking and driving the Ranger?
Thanks again!
Sponsored