Torque steer, has any one experienced this when going around a bend at speed?

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
I do not know if the stability brakes individual brakes? I know it does control the drive of the wheels. I am not a fan of having the control of vehicle taken away. I find, from being old school, when I react to a stability problem, my reaction sets the stability controls in a counter reaction and is not a very good situation. I must admit that the newer systems are getting better.
Page 163 in the manual:

Roll Stability Control
The system helps to prevent rollovers by detecting your vehicle's roll motion, and individually applying the brakes to one or more wheels.
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of possibilities thrown out here but I think it’s almost certainly the Lane Keep Assist that you felt. Read about it in the owner’s manual, and get familiar with the system on the highway before you disable it and forget about it forever.

I generally disable mine for day-to-day driving, and enable it when cruising on the highway. It is simple to toggle on and off.

Deleted member 1634

A lot of possibilities thrown out here but I think it’s almost certainly the Lane Keep Assist that you felt. Read about it in the owner’s manual, and get familiar with the system on the highway before you disable it and forget about it forever.

I generally disable mine for day-to-day driving, and enable it when cruising on the highway. It is simple to toggle on and off.
Same. It can become a bit annoying in the city areas. But quite helpful and nice on long cruises and trips.

OP: Definitely worth learning all about it and determining for sure if it's useful for you or not.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
i had the stability control activate in my F150 when i took an on ramp/merge lane too fast.
the back end slid out on me...no big deal to me, I've drifted many a vehicle and would have just feathered the throttle through the turn and let it hang out for a bit...

but....the damn stability control kicked in and through an abrupt feeling jerky motion it straightened me right out and slowed me down. It felt uncomfortable and weird going through that.
Ive been tempted to test it out but Im more scared of explaining to my wife how I rolled a truck than I am actually rolling it.

Deleted member 1634

i had the stability control activate in my F150 when i took an on ramp/merge lane too fast.
the back end slid out on me...no big deal to me, I've drifted many a vehicle and would have just feathered the throttle through the turn and let it hang out for a bit...

but....the damn stability control kicked in and through an abrupt feeling jerky motion it straightened me right out and slowed me down. It felt uncomfortable and weird going through that.
As someone who's grown up and learned to drive in vehicles equipped with such traction/stability control features, I've learned to use all those features to help with the drifting and slides and playing around. It's all I've known, so I know exactly how to find that sweet spot of the safety features holding me there but not forcing me back. It's actually quite fun because you still get to play, but if you go too far you just let go and the vehicle fixes itself to keep you out of real harm. Only issue is that if it fails or I'm in a vehicle that doesn't have it, I likely won't be able to handle having fun in that.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED

Accelerating during a left turn on a wet road to play was the first time I experienced it and didn't like it. Would rather control the vehicle myself.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Too Many Nannies!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Torque steer is only generated from Fwd and Awd vehicles. Unless you are driving in 4wd, you should not be experiencing torque steer. I will guess the others are correct about the lane assist.
This gave me quite a start the first few times it happened to me. Then I figured out that it was just lane "assist" trying to keep the truck inside the lane it perceived. So I reset the system to "alert," meaning that it lets me know when I change lanes (without signaling) but does not try to do anything about it....

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I think the reason Ford made the Lane Assist feature so easy to turn on and off (button on turn signal lever in addition to a menu selection) is a simple one. So you can easily switch it OFF for around town and when you want full control or ON when you want it to help while driving on the highway or freeway.
I think all of the nanny features can be turned off if you don't like them.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
That actually might be Curve Control you were experiencing. That occurred with me going around a tight corner at speed and it is quite unnerving.

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 10.47.03 AM.png

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Thank you, I will most certainly turn that off. The Torque steer was the only explanation i could think of to explain what we were experiencing.
I had My Ranger delivered during our isolating and never got a run through on the operation of the truck.
Funny - I first noticed it on a non-Ranger Ford vehicle I was driving back from auction. and I occasionally engage it accidentally on my Ranger. Annoying It is nothing like that horrible feeling you get at about 80 mph in a FWD and you run through a large enough wet area that you hydroplane and then WHOA..... Could be useful if you're driving drowsy and can't stop.

Deleted member 1634

Funny - I first noticed it on a non-Ranger Ford vehicle I was driving back from auction. and I occasionally engage it accidentally on my Ranger. Annoying It is nothing like that horrible feeling you get at about 80 mph in a FWD and you run through a large enough wet area that you hydroplane and then WHOA..... Could be useful if you're driving drowsy and can't stop.
That's essentially exactly what it's for. Keeping/alerting you from going in the ditch or the oncoming lane when you're not paying attention. It's not like Tesla's autopilot or anything. It can be invasive in areas with a lot of lines and what not, but I like it on the wide open road. Basically, if you're driving correctly and safely and stay between the lines, you should never really notice it.

Again, to each their own. At least those who don't like it can turn it off, and those that do like it can leave it on and utilize it.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
That actually might be Curve Control you were experiencing. That occurred with me going around a tight corner at speed and it is quite unnerving.

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 10.47.03 AM.png
I agree. Lane assist uses a camera mounted behind the review mirror to visually "see" the lines. As long has OP wasn't drifting over them, it stays passive. Curve Control tries to correct steering push, which would likely be the torque steer feeling OP felt.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I agree. Lane assist uses a camera mounted behind the review mirror to visually "see" the lines. As long has OP wasn't drifting over them, it stays passive. Curve Control tries to correct steering push, which would likely be the torque steer feeling OP felt.
Curve control simply slows down a vehicle. That wouldn't feel anything like torque steer. Nor would the lane keeping.

I think the OP had his terms conflated. Without a real description of what was felt we'll never know.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Curve control simply slows down a vehicle. That wouldn't feel anything like torque steer. Nor would the lane keeping.

I think the OP had his terms conflated. Without a real description of what was felt we'll never know.
Torque steer gives the feeling of the steering wheel being tugged in a direction you aren't expecting.

Lane assist does the same thing.

At least that been my experience in other vehicles.
Sponsored