First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Guys, after trying out both D [Dork Mode] and S [Superman Mode], I finally settled on the pattern of using D for normal street driving and S for highway, freeway, mountain roads, etc. Sure, S mode will use a bit more gas and marginally impact the lifespan of some components, but "in the long run we are all dead...."
I do the opposite...
Regards
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I do the opposite...
Regards
Well, to each his own, I just found that the transmission seems to lag a bit, as if unsure which speed to choose, when accelerating in the conditions I mentioned above, particularly on hills. I may have to rethink all this once the Ford Performance Tune arrives....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well, to each his own, I just found that the transmission seems to lag a bit, as if unsure which speed to choose, when accelerating in the conditions I mentioned above, particularly on hills. I may have to rethink all this once the Ford Performance Tune arrives....
The tune should help clear up any lag especially on the hills. When I'm in a hilly area I use S mode and manually shift,I feel that's the best for some of the steeper inclines when I'm up north.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
I have used Royal Purple oil and filters in my last vehicle,since new. This time I will use Amsoil,and their filter. Yes,those filters,as in most,have the anti-drain back check valve. BUT,both the Amsoil and Royal Purple filters have a microfiber filter element instead of paper. Much higher quality,with a price to match. But to me,money well spent.You get what you pay for,and when it comes to my engine/transmission/transfer case and both diffs,I will get Amsoil products. In regards to what I said about the filters I have used and what I will use,look it up on youtube. See the inside differences of the oil filters out there,and you choose.

Amsoil all the way for me as well. Been using their products since 2007 in everything, car, truck, and motorcycle. What got me started was when I started using their motorcycle engine oil, could feel the difference in my R1.

Phik

First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Drive mode isn’t too shabby though, it’s still an impressive experience. Maybe I’ll play it safe and do sport mode once a week just for fun, and stay on top of routine maintenance checks to ensure longevity.
As long as you do this, and change the oil more often than required, you're fine.
Sport mode isn't like those cars tuned within an inch of their lives.

Also, ATLiens is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
I love sport mode. I know it’s not as fuel efficient, but it feels so good. I’m curious if it’s bad to drive in sport mode all the time? And I mean ALL the time. Not sure if in the long run it would be a detriment and wear engine parts prematurely. I feel like I should only use it sparingly... any thoughts?
I use S around town, on the highway keeping in D appears to keep it higher overdrive gears. Which would benefit mileage. Around town, backroads negligible mileage loss. My truck has 600 miles, using S around town lots of stop and go I get 19 so far. Another nice thing S deletes auto stop start, another reason I use it..

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
Both my brand new F-150 4x4's had C6 3 speed automatics in which I installed B&M shift kits in varying shift firmness settings. On one of them, an '86 Lariat with a 351W, the 1-2 upshift was so abrupt that I was afraid of the driveshaft snapping in 2...

There is no way to compare the 10 speed driven in sport mode to those 2 dinosaurs, the upshifts, though firm are much, much more refined.
Much more in tune with the 21st. century, if you will.

I'll be 65 next month, long gone are those days of getting "rubber" on upshifts, thank God...
Lol, I'm 66, and love catching gears in my '13 Boss 302 and an occasional wheel loft on my bikes. Being a HS shop teacher 29 years ruined me I can't ever see myself growing up!

Reactions: Doc

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I use S around town, on the highway keeping in D appears to keep it higher overdrive gears. Which would benefit mileage. Around town, backroads negligible mileage loss. My truck has 600 miles, using S around town lots of stop and go I get 19 so far. Another nice thing S deletes auto stop start, another reason I use it..
I practice the method...S in town, D/tow on highway...resurrected and time traveled to 88,888 miles... ?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I think if anything driving in D would be worse for the engine. It really lugs it around town, always sticking around 1000 rpm. S mode isn't even really "sport" it's just how vehicles used to drive normally.