First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
For you all that worry about or don't know the tongue weight of your trailer, especially if it's a heavy travel trailer....
Google up "making a home made tongue weight scale"...sites will come up explaining how to make an accurate scale using a simple bathroom scale, some 2 x 4's, some short lengths of 1 1/2 inch pipe, and some simple math.
Home made, but very accurate.
Then you won't have to guess or take your rig to a weighing station.
Sponsored

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
My weight safe hitch seems to be within a couple pounds of accuracy and I love being able to see it real-time while loading.

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I guess this would work for those who don't have a scale nearby. I'm lazy and live close enough to a truck stop that I'd rather just go hit the CAT scale.

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport Supercab 4x4, '19 Lance 1995
Occupation
Retired
I guess this would work for those who don't have a scale nearby. I'm lazy and live close enough to a truck stop that I'd rather just go hit the CAT scale.
As far as I know, the only way to get tongue weight at a CAT scale would be to unhook and only weigh the tongue. I suspect that would be discouraged. Is that what you’re suggesting or am I missing something?

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
As far as I know, the only way to get tongue weight at a CAT scale would be to unhook and only weigh the tongue. I suspect that would be discouraged. Is that what you’re suggesting or am I missing something?
Pull only the truck onto the scale with the trailer attached and weigh it. Subtract the truck weight with no trailer attached to get your tongue weight. I think.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT - FX4
The app for CAT scales makes weighing at a truck stop really really easy. I weighed the whole setup before dropping off the camper for new tires, then went back in just the truck. I wanted to know how much my TT actually weighed, and surprisingly my OEM sticker was pretty accurate.

If you have a weight distributing hitch you can use CAT scales to determine how well its adjusted since they have separate weight plates for each axle.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I just posted this for info...
Yes, there are tongue scales available for $150-$160, and if near one you can take it to a Cat scale for $10-$20.
But this is free if you have a bathroom scale and some scrap lying around.
Within a few lbs it is just as accurate as a regular commercial tongue scale.

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Not discouraged. Most scales have pullouts close by for this reason. CAT app charges $12 for first weigh then $3 for every additional, in a 24 hour period. They fully accommodate people to do multiple rounds with and without trailers to get their loads balanced right.
Sponsored