First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I think some of the confusion is from the phrasing of my question, my apologies . I have no doubt the engineers at Ford came to this number carefully and backed my models and testing.

Everyone's comments have been very helpful and I think the best way to approach a final number is to work backwards.

1. Take the truck max payload capacity and see how much that will cut into your max tongue weight.
Example: (human weight + things in the cab you need + things you plan to put in the bed) - Payload capacity = available tongue weight. Take this or 750, which ever is smaller.

2. Take the the tongue weight from step 1 and compare that to the trailers GVWR. My reading say 10% to 15% of the trailer should be on the tongue so (tongue weight / .10) > trailer GVWR.
Example Say I only have 600# of payload remaining, staying on the safe side 15% on tongue means I should keep GVWR under 600 / .15 = 4

Assuming the trailer GVWR isn't exceeded, this setup should be safe to drive.

Also consider truck GCWR, which I don't think should be exceeded following this process, but we should be diligent to verify.

Thoughts?
I like your way of thinking. You are looking at the carefully and all the factors and ratings. Just remember any modifications you have made to the truck from stock that add weight, like racks, tonneau covers, lights, step guards, bigger tires, also reduce you maximun payload number. Also don't forget the weight of the weight distribution hitch head, that can be close to a 100 pounds.

Like I keep saying that 7500 pounds is a maximum number under the right conditions. It is best to look at the Ford towing guide for all the conditions and footnotes. You Re correct in not exceeding the GCVWR but also consider looking at the rear axle weight rating as shown on your door sticker.
Sponsored

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Hi NZ,

The weigh you can safely tow is 7500 as stated in your owner's manual. Not a fudge factor percentage reduction. We test at this weight and over a bit to ensure our numbers. A percentage reduction is pure BS.

That said above, you need to understand that you must factor in your loading into the RV you choose. Most folks overload the RV from the Get Go. Take your RV, fully loaded to the local Truck Stop CAT Scales and weigh it. If you find like many folks that you are above 7500...then you need to assess what to remove to achieve this weight and reweigh at the scales. Then you are not guessing you are okay.... Screw the fudge factors that many websites recommend.... Just weigh the RV as you hope to use it.... Knowledge is King here....

Best,
Phil
Good to hear. ...saved me from starting a new post.
I need to travel 230 miles to pick up Boral siding and return. Trailer and load will be around 6600#.
16' 2500# rental tandem flat bed trailer w/surge brakes. I pull my 4000# boat/trailer and don't know it's back there....except for the mileage.
I forgot I have #7500 capy thinking it's 7000#, and wondered if 6600# was a bit iffy.
Sounds like I'll be OK. ....would be nice to hear from someone who has hauled a similar load.
Thanks, Dave
PS. I know where find the towing mode button, mostly for acceleration. I think there is sway control hiding somewhere in the settings. ....true?