TIRES, Tires, tires...??? Wheel Sets...??

duffyduzz

First Name
Duffy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4 X 4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Hey guys, Love my 2020 Ranger 4X4 Lariat. 63K miles and the original Hankook DynaPro A/T's look like they might go another 10K miles at the rate they're wearing. But my next set, I want a more aggressive off road'ish pattern that wears well and isn't too noisy. Suggestions..?? I'm also considering an off-road only set, but smaller, say 1" or 2" wheel, for a larger tire, but exactly the same diameter as stock so as to not affect my ECU / speedo readings. Talking to my local wheel / tire stores, they say I should do my own research on this, so here I am... Thanks in advance, for any advise or help you may provide.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I personally favor BFG K02, but having said that, fully half the guys out here that run real A/T's have Falken Wildpeaks on their wheels.

SGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just a pointer to keep in mind, the smallest diameter rim you can go with is 16". 15s won't clear the calipers on the newer Rangers.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
A little late i know but I have a littlee info that might help. Assuming you have 18 inch wheels the 17 and 16 inch wheels can help with having more sidewall. As for tires it really depends on how much OffRoad Driving you want to do for what to get. Me personally I like the Firestone Destination line of tires. They have 3 tires for OffRoad. Depending on the level of OffRoad will depend on what to get. Light duty OffRoad(some fair trail riding but nothing crazy) you would want the Destination AT2. For a bit more heavy type OffRoad(way more trail riding but with great protection on the tire) the Destination XT will be your freind(it is my favorite I should say). If you do crazy OffRoad stuff(dedicated rock crawler of sorts) then the Destination MT2 is what you want.

In general from the little I could grasp the AT2 or the XT are most likely what you want. Just make sure its available in the sizes you are looking at.

OP
OP

duffyduzz

First Name
Duffy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4 X 4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, guys! I ended up w/ B F Goodrich Trail Terrains in exact stock sizes, 265/60-18's. 60K mile warranty, decent off-road performance and 3 snowflake rated, is mostly what I was looking for. Live near snow skiing, so snow rated was important. Goodrich's, I've been told last a good long time. Hell, my Hankook Dynapro stockers have 75K miles and look like they'll go another 10K... Pulling a Featherlight 12' enclosed trailer that weighs around 2000 lbs., so didn't want to go any bigger and essentially gear up so stock sizing was also important.

Deleted member 15875

Thanks, guys! I ended up w/ B F Goodrich Trail Terrains in exact stock sizes, 265/60-18's. 60K mile warranty, decent off-road performance and 3 snowflake rated, is mostly what I was looking for. Live near snow skiing, so snow rated was important. Goodrich's, I've been told last a good long time. Hell, my Hankook Dynapro stockers have 75K miles and look like they'll go another 10K... Pulling a Featherlight 12' enclosed trailer that weighs around 2000 lbs., so didn't want to go any bigger and essentially gear up so stock sizing was also important.
Pics?

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP

duffyduzz

First Name
Duffy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4 X 4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Got my Goodrich Trail Terrains (stock size 265/60-18) mounted today. Local tire dealer competing with I/Net pricing was quite competitive at $954.00 Mounted and balanced. Doherty Tire in Sonora, CA.
IMG_1361.jpg
IMG_1362.jpg

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I'm curious for a review after a few months. This type of lite A/T tire is on my list when I replace the Hankooks.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm around 2 months in on my new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires - I went with 265/65/18, and they *just* fit with no rubbing. I happen to think they look great, they are not loud, and have performed fantastically well offroad. 65k mile warranty. They are not cheap, but I love them so far.

IMG_7995.jpg

IMG_8004.jpg

IMG_8005.jpg
Sponsored