Sponsored

Tire size versus RPM's

NotBudule2

Well-Known Member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Jul 8, 2024
Threads
14
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
4,807
Location
WV
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Right now , in Sport mode , cruising at 40 MPH is equal to exactly 2500 RPM's , if i jump up to 33's (or just a tad smaller) what do you think the RPM's will drop down to ? Or will it even be noticeable?
Sponsored

 

PltFX4

Well-Known Member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Jan 29, 2020
Threads
28
Messages
737
Reaction score
1,396
Location
Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Right now , in Sport mode , cruising at 40 MPH is equal to exactly 2500 RPM's , if i jump up to 33's (or just a tad smaller) what do you think the RPM's will drop down to ? Or will it even be noticeable?
Speed versus RPM Calculator

OK, Sport Mode in what gear??



MPH by gear
My SummersOEM 18"32.7"
RPM: 2000​
Gear Ratio
275x55R20​
265/60R18​
285/70R17​
First​
4.696​
10.84​
10.33​
11.11​
Second​
2.985​
17.05​
16.25​
17.47​
Third​
2.146​
23.71​
22.60​
24.31​
Fourth​
1.769​
28.77​
27.41​
29.49​
Fifth​
1.520​
33.48​
31.90​
34.32​
Sixth​
1.275​
39.91​
38.03​
40.91​
Seventh​
1.010​
50.38​
48.01​
51.65​
Eighth​
0.854​
59.59​
56.78​
61.08​
Ninth​
0.689​
73.85​
70.38​
75.71​
Tenth​
0.636​
80.01​
76.25​
82.02​
Reverse​
4.866​
10.46​
9.97​
10.72​
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
NotBudule2

NotBudule2

Well-Known Member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Jul 8, 2024
Threads
14
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
4,807
Location
WV
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Speed versus RPM Calculator

OK, Sport Mode in what gear??



MPH by gear
My SummersOEM 18"32.7"
RPM: 2000​
Gear Ratio
275x55R20​
265/60R18​
285/70R17​
First​
4.696​
10.84​
10.33​
11.11​
Second​
2.985​
17.05​
16.25​
17.47​
Third​
2.146​
23.71​
22.60​
24.31​
Fourth​
1.769​
28.77​
27.41​
29.49​
Fifth​
1.520​
33.48​
31.90​
34.32​
Sixth​
1.275​
39.91​
38.03​
40.91​
Seventh​
1.010​
50.38​
48.01​
51.65​
Eighth​
0.854​
59.59​
56.78​
61.08​
Ninth​
0.689​
73.85​
70.38​
75.71​
Tenth​
0.636​
80.01​
76.25​
82.02​
Reverse​
4.866​
10.46​
9.97​
10.72​
I didn't look at what gear 😳, but i will , thanks for the chart !
 


OCL

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
236
Reaction score
709
Location
Mission Viejo, California
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
If you have a standard FX4, you can get away with one size up in tire size.
FX4=255/65/17
Tremor=265/70/17

The tire diameters are different. Tremor tires 1.5" taller. So your speedometer will be off. You have to use Forescan to recalibrate your speedo to the correct tire diameter so your transmission's shifting is correct. The Tremor tire size is the biggest you can go without interference with your front crash bars/rubbing.

The tire size difference seems small but it makes a huge difference in looks especially if you get wider wheels/wheel spacers.

You cannot put 33's without 2.5+ inch lift and front crash bar modifications.
 

Dereku

Well-Known Member
First Name
Derek
Joined
May 18, 2022
Threads
32
Messages
2,864
Reaction score
7,074
Location
Chicagoland Area
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
The stock tires and speedo are slightly off verses gps from the factory. You might be able to upsize 1 size with no changes. Typical of most American manufacturers. Makes mpgs look better and shortens warranty by the maximum allowed variance in speedo accuracy by law.
 
OP
OP
NotBudule2

NotBudule2

Well-Known Member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Jul 8, 2024
Threads
14
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
4,807
Location
WV
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Im aware of the speedometer issues and such , my question is , what will my new 40 MPH crusing RPM's be after upsizeing. My current RPM's are 2500 and I would be happy er 😊 if they dropped to around 2000...
 

Superspirit

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Jun 18, 2022
Threads
12
Messages
974
Reaction score
2,022
Location
earth
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
I have 33's on mine. If you tell me what gear you are in at 40mph to get 2500, I'll go drive mine at 40 in the same gear and record the rpm for you. Have to know the gear.
 

Dereku

Well-Known Member
First Name
Derek
Joined
May 18, 2022
Threads
32
Messages
2,864
Reaction score
7,074
Location
Chicagoland Area
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Im aware of the speedometer issues and such , my question is , what will my new 40 MPH crusing RPM's be after upsizeing. My current RPM's are 2500 and I would be happy er 😊 if they dropped to around 2000...
Thats a lot of tire. I had 46s was back went. It was like a super over drive.
 
OP
OP
NotBudule2

NotBudule2

Well-Known Member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Jul 8, 2024
Threads
14
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
4,807
Location
WV
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I have 33's on mine. If you tell me what gear you are in at 40mph to get 2500, I'll go drive mine at 40 in the same gear and record the rpm for you. Have to know the gear.
Mine likes 5th to be at 2500 at 40 in Sport Mode

I think in Tow it drops to about 1600 and hits 7th gear

Drive is horribly low rpms and I never use it...
 

Superspirit

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Jun 18, 2022
Threads
12
Messages
974
Reaction score
2,022
Location
earth
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Sport mode locked in 5th with 33's I got right at 2300 maybe a few rpm over. But I will tell you fuel mileage went down with the heavier tires.
 
OP
OP
NotBudule2

NotBudule2

Well-Known Member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Jul 8, 2024
Threads
14
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
4,807
Location
WV
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Sport mode locked in 5th with 33's I got right at 2300 maybe a few rpm over. But I will tell you fuel mileage went down with the heavier tires.
So only a couple hundred lower, nothing dramatic, that's good 👍... im aware the mpg's will suffer, but gas ⛽ is pretty cheap nowadays, so no biggie there , Im still buying premium just to burn brush and wash out stain brushes and such, its a good cheap weed killer too, I keep a gallon or so in the sprayer at all times...
 

Superspirit

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Jun 18, 2022
Threads
12
Messages
974
Reaction score
2,022
Location
earth
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
So only a couple hundred lower, nothing dramatic, that's good 👍... im aware the mpg's will suffer, but gas ⛽ is pretty cheap nowadays, so no biggie there , Im still buying premium just to burn brush and wash out stain brushes and such, its a good cheap weed killer too, I keep a gallon or so in the sprayer at all times...
Don't know where you are, but I'll never refer to $5 gal gas cheap. I remember $0.22 gallon.
I can remember riding my mini bike to the local fuel station and getting a full tank of gas and a pack of cigarettes for $.50
Sponsored

 
 








Top