First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Might want to read up on how heavily US farming is subsidized to this day before making such wide-sweeping statements. The government subsidizes a lot of industries that would be in deep shit otherwise. Notice GM and good old FoMoCo in the top 10 (also Amazon which makes me nauseous):
https://subsidytracker.goodjobsfirst.org/top-100-parents
I know plenty about it. Traditional economics do not always work well in farming. To ensure a steady food supply at reasonable cost requires some subsidies and/or price supports. I just wasn’t going to go there in a truck forum. It would get really long and most peoples’ eyes would glaze over. I have a degree in economics plus a master’s degree in business, I was an adjunct instructor in economics at four different colleges over 20 years, have a partial writing credit for a college economics textbook, and one of my economics professors was also a full-time farmer. I describe myself as a highly educated redneck.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
10 years ago I looked into the depth of subsidies for corn farmers. If you don’t think it has political ties I got a bridge to sell you! The taxpayers are footing that bill and it’s friggen huge! Now the spin you will hear is if we stop doing it many farms will close and be abandoned because it’s not profitable to grow anything else.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
10 years ago I looked into the depth of subsidies for corn farmers. If you don’t think it has political ties I got a bridge to sell you! The taxpayers are footing that bill and it’s friggen huge! Now the spin you will hear is if we stop doing it many farms will close and be abandoned because it’s not profitable to grow anything else.
it's a failed program - and to be redundant the reason it was created - decrease dependence on imported oil has ceased to exist, there is mention in the link article it now serves mostly to transfer wealth from consumers to corn farmers.

https://www.americanactionforum.org...l-standards-policy-failures-economic-burdens/

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
Valero gas is CRAP! We have one here, its cheaper gas than Murphy at Walmart.
It's probably the same gas, all unbranded gas (as in not Exxon, Citgo, BP etc) uses the same additive package.
Those locations could possibly come out of the same hose at the terminal.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
it's a failed program - and to be redundant the reason it was created - decrease dependence on imported oil has ceased to exist, there is mention in the link article it now serves mostly to transfer wealth from consumers to corn farmers.

https://www.americanactionforum.org...l-standards-policy-failures-economic-burdens/
Again, if it was really cost-effective to do, it wouldn't need subsidies.
And a lot of the "farmers" are really large corporations who recycle some of the subsidies back to the politicians in the form of campaign donations.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
When you tak about subsidies on gas....remember the federal government collects 18.4 cents per gallon sold. My state (Ohio) collects 38.5 cents per gallon. Do they receive a larger subsidy than the gov collects off the excise tax? If not the gov is a net earner off just allowing the product to be sold.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Again, if it was really cost-effective to do, it wouldn't need subsidies.
And a lot of the "farmers" are really large corporations who recycle some of the subsidies back to the politicians in the form of campaign donations.
Yes - the large corporations in farmers cloaks were quick to capitalize on the RFS program and many created vertical corporations which not only grew corn but also ran the production (distillation) and distribution of it to gas blenders.

Also farm subsidies were created largely to help the small farms survive but as it turns the lion's share of the subsidies go to the large and mega large farmers, many who are quite well off while the small and mid size growers often struggle.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
It seems to me that most ANY food is good for anyone STARVING. Do we tell a starving child, “don’t eat that, it’s bad for you”, when the option is to go hungry? You clearly know more about this than I do, so I’m curious what alternative nutritional foods can be provided as aid in the mass quantities required to feed some third world populations? I know that many African nations have made great strides in irrigation techniques allowing some communities to become more self sufficient, but many parts of the world still require significant food aids.

As for Ethanol as a fuel source, it’s seems like it’s never gained traction and the nominal 5-10% additive appears to cause more problems than it solves. EV has clearly separated itself as the alternative fuel of the future, so why even bother with Ethanol at this point? Do auto manufactures and gas companies embrace the idea of Ethanol, or is it still just a Gov’t requirement thrust upon them that they just have to deal with?
We don’t tell a starving child anything.

meat/vegetables that are low in carbohydrates and high in nutrients.

As far as ethanol, I agree with you.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
Brother, thank you for the education! You definitely sound like someone who knows what they're talking about and not just something they read. As I read it I remembered that's why my cousin would put their cows in the stall and corn feed them just to fatten them up. Now I can say it's true because I read it on the Internet. Ha ha. All jokes aside, it's verifiable what you said. But I never knew that part about the Third World countries. Now I feel more bad for those Third World kids. And now I can stop thinking of obese Americans as lard asses and and think of them as corn asses instead. I AM a lard ass because I love my butter and I don't eat much corn at all and now I'm going to eat even less of it. I even need to lose my lard ass. The metabolism just doesn't work the same as when I was younger and could eat anything and as much as I wanted and not gain any weight. And now is much more about other health issues than just weight. And thanks for the tips on the octane there. I think I learned that here just last week.
I used to have a lard ass until my wife rewired me. Lol. I tell everyone, I have a big ass so even when I do something half ass, you are still getting a good product. My weight has been up and down my whole life. It’s a struggle. The struggle is real. Now that I am past mid-life and way over the hump, it has taken me a long time to change food choices. Exercise and eating right have been pushed to the forefront. I know more about being fat than being skinny and more about nutrition than I do about octane. I hope I didn’t come off as a snide, know it all. If I did, my apologies.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
I don't have a dog in the fight for or against ethanol. But the statement that producing ethanol yields a net energy loss is false and nothing in article supports it being true.
Me either. E85 is lame in my opinion. The article does show how it is an economic loser, however. Some people need to see things in black and white. Other people can see what is not being said and deduce what is being said.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
We don’t tell a starving child anything.

meat/vegetables that are low in carbohydrates and high in nutrients.

As far as ethanol, I agree with you.
I figured out a while ago that it is expensive to eat healthy and inexpensive to eat badly.
This is one reason why the obesity rate goes up as income goes down and the higher your income the less likely you are to be overweight.
Never been overweight in my life but I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes five years ago, just bad genes, so I have to eat healthy whether I want to or not.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
I figured out a while ago that it is expensive to eat healthy and inexpensive to eat badly.
This is one reason why the obesity rate goes up as income goes down and the higher your income the less likely you are to be overweight.
Never been overweight in my life but I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes five years ago, just bad genes, so I have to eat healthy whether I want to or not.
So weird. I’ve gone up and down but never got the sugars. The body is a strange thing. The metabolism does stop sharply when you get into your golden years. I’ve had so many donuts and so much ice cream you could make a rainbow bridge out of my crap. Oh shit, did I type that? All I care about now is fueling my body. That’s it. I like being able to take off my shirt again and not hearing “ooooh, damn.” And whiskey. I like drinking whiskey too. Lol. Eating right, exercising and drinking whiskey shirtless. Lol. It’s bedtime.

OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I used to have a lard ass until my wife rewired me. Lol. I tell everyone, I have a big ass so even when I do something half ass, you are still getting a good product. My weight has been up and down my whole life. It’s a struggle. The struggle is real. Now that I am past mid-life and way over the hump, it has taken me a long time to change food choices. Exercise and eating right have been pushed to the forefront. I know more about being fat than being skinny and more about nutrition than I do about octane. I hope I didn’t come off as a snide, know it all. If I did, my apologies.
Oh not at all brother! You didn’t come off in a negative way at all, I’m now battling the weight now that I’m 62 and lost all my good metabolism. This is all new to me. Are used to be balls to the wall and now I’m such a lazy ass and that doesn’t help at all. I know the last time I dropped 10 or 15 pounds I felt so much better so I need to do it again. Good luck to you and us!
Sponsored