First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Occupation
Engineer
Just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. Thought I was buying a Lariat on Saturday, but it is too tall for my garage. Still wanting one but need to figure out if I want a truck more then to be able to park in the garage.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Welcome! How much are you off in height? You must have an older home because most houses have a garage height now of 7' and mid size trucks will fit in them.

OP
OP

NukeDude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Occupation
Engineer
Welcome! How much are you off in height? You must have an older home because most houses have a garage height now of 7' and mid size trucks will fit in them.
The height of the shark fin. I would kill to have an extra course of block in the garage and basement.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. Thought I was buying a Lariat on Saturday, but it is too tall for my garage. Still wanting one but need to figure out if I want a truck more then to be able to park in the garage.
Personal anecdote if it helps.

About 15 years ago I had a quad cab Ram that I was very happy with. But it couldn't fit comfortably in the garage of our new to us home. After much hand wringing traded it for a Dakota of the same vintage extended cab with lower miles. It was okay but I never really liked it. And 9 months later we bought the wife a Legacy GT that took it's garage spot anyways, should've kept that Ram.

While it's a big bonus if they do, I no longer make car buying decisions off of what will fit in my garage.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I had the same problem and just replaced my OE antenna with the Stubby Jr. It just barely didn't fit thru the garage opening with the OE antenna. I live in a 80s townhome.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The height of the shark fin. I would kill to have an extra course of block in the garage and basement.
There's a thread bellow on how to the the shark fin off but it was only to repaint the roof and he eventually replaced it. If you really want to have it garaged maybe you can find a shorter fin or have a black cap made to cover the area? You won't have am/fm or sat radio but you could always use CarPlay or AA.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/how-to-remove-the-antenna.4054/

OP
OP

NukeDude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Occupation
Engineer
I've never really the ability to park my current or previous trucks in my garages. I really really want to be able to not fight with weather. I've had my current truck since 2009, being outside is hard on vehicles.

That said, I want a new truck that doesn't need 89 octane, and gets better mileage.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
When I was shopping for my Ranger I asked the dealer if I could take it home to make sure it fit in my garage. I have a single car garage. He said sure and off I went. It fit but the long factory antenna barley cleared. That's why I removed it after purchase and got the Stubby JR.

Having a home with a garage, making sure any vehicle I buy would fit is important to me. It's nice to keep it out of the elements and not have to remove snow and ice in the winter or have it hot inside during the summer. Plus it adds a layer of security not being parked outside where curious people might want to see what is in my vehicle via breaking into it.

I don't really see the point of having a garage if you can't put your vehicle in it.

OP
OP

NukeDude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Occupation
Engineer
Well. The maverick is coming out soon. What is the height of you garage? Is it just the antennae that will hit?
Yes on the shark fin.

When is soon?

Chicago_2

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion / 2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT
It's funny to come upon this thread now. I researched raising my garage doors last week. I have two 9x7 and wanted to replace with two 9x8's. To raise the headers (load bearing) was $2400. That is pretty much labor only except 8 2x4's. The garage doors with new springs and openers is $3800. A bit high but I spec'ed out higher end. And this is before bigger tires and/or lifting. $6200 total and then I can start pricing lifting.

OP
OP

NukeDude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Occupation
Engineer
The problem I have is it that the ceiling height is low. There is precious little space to do anything. I could replace the large wooden header with steel, maybe.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The problem I have is it that the ceiling height is low. There is precious little space to do anything. I could replace the large wooden header with steel, maybe.
When I built my house....Garage was 7½ ft. Friend built his at 8 ft. worked for him for his lifted Ford Excursion 4x4, which I sold him for $1.00. He was my hospitality at off road races.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored