Rockweiler

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
Did you order the rack through Ford accessories or Yakima?
Ordered through my Ford dealer because I wanted my accessories to be covered under Ford (3yr/60k in Canada) and also eligible for low rate financing through Ford Credit.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rockweiler

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking good. That's gonna be a sweet setup, especially with the ICON kit. :sunglasses:
Thanks! Yes can’t wait. Arriving in a few weeks it seems. And dealer was super cool, he “lent” me the RC level kit while I wait for the Icon lift. He’ll just flip it on a stock unit they’ll build for the showroom.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
How are you liking the swing out tool boxes?

OP
OP
Rockweiler

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are you liking the swing out tool boxes?
I just started organizing them. So far I think they’re gonna be great. Left side is for recovery tools (tow strap, shackles, etc.) and right side is small tools and tie-downs for bed and rack.
Only gripes so far are (1) they don’t pull out far enough to completely clear the Retrax cover. So I need to push back the Retrax a few inches to fully open the box lids and (2) they feel a little flimsy (don’t know if they could handle a heavy chain bouncing around off-road? But we’ll soon find out!).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rockweiler

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are liking the Retrax/Embark Tonneau Cover? Does it keep the snow and wet out?
Sorry for the late reply but hadn’t driven in a proper snow storm since I got it installed. Today I did and as far as I can tell snow coming in from the cover itself is a non issue. There is however a little snow coming in but it’s from gaps at the bottom of the tailgate (Ford design issue). This probably means that weather-stripping the side and bottom of the tailgate will be important to keep stuff dry in the wet.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback16, Ford Ranger 11
Occupation
⭐ tender
Vehicle Showcase
Did you order the rack through Ford accessories or Yakima?
So how much weight can these Yakima towers hold? When I talked to a vender at Yakima he was saying about 150 lbs per pair, which would only be 300 lbs?? I’m not sure if this would be sufficient for a rooftop tent setup. (Especially for 2 people and the tent)!
Your truck is looking Badasssssss!!!

OP
OP
Rockweiler

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So how much weight can these Yakima towers hold? When I talked to a vender at Yakima he was saying about 150 lbs per pair, which would only be 300 lbs?? I’m not sure if this would be sufficient for a rooftop tent setup. (Especially for 2 people and the tent)!
Your truck is looking Badasssssss!!!
Thanks! Really liking my truck so far.
If I have my info correct the rating is (for the complete rack): 500lbs “on road rating” if mounted straight to the bed and 300lbs “off-roading”.
If mounted to the Ford/Retrax cover then it drops to 300lbs “on road” and 185lbs “off-road”.
I wasn’t aware of that when I ordered all of my stuff way back when (the on cover drop in rating). A little dissapointed but I’m hoping that (1) these are the conservative “warranty” figures and (2) by tying everything together with a Rhino-Rack tray (platform) I will increase the set-ups rigidity for off-road use.
I’m also afraid the T-slot attachments/Retrax rails might be the weak link in this set-up and therefore the tray will have negligible effect when off-roading.
But Hey! I’m still willing to take one for the team to find out! Haha

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback16, Ford Ranger 11
Occupation
⭐ tender
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Really liking my truck so far.
If I have my info correct the rating is (for the complete rack): 500lbs “on road rating” if mounted straight to the bed and 300lbs “off-roading”.
If mounted to the Ford/Retrax cover then it drops to 300lbs “on road” and 185lbs “off-road”.
I wasn’t aware of that when I ordered all of my stuff way back when (the on cover drop in rating). A little dissapointed but I’m hoping that (1) these are the conservative “warranty” figures and (2) by tying everything together with a Rhino-Rack tray (platform) I will increase the set-ups rigidity for off-road use.
I’m also afraid the T-slot attachments/Retrax rails might be the weak link in this set-up and therefore the tray will have negligible effect when off-roading.
But Hey! I’m still willing to take one for the team to find out! Haha
Very cool, yes let us know how everything goes, I’m gonna wait for hopefully Wilcox or another company to come out with a bed-rack!!

OP
OP
Rockweiler

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so lets get this out of the way right now: it’s not pretty by any measure!
But hopefully it’ll do the jobs I ask of it. Talking about the rack of course!
D644E6EC-57CA-49FB-BB2E-2E4AE2F136E9.jpeg
71DA7D3B-9152-492E-8189-DAD853814BCE.jpeg
B4C250D7-CDF0-4508-B24A-932B5EC786AF.jpeg
071DE3DC-1F18-4735-BCF9-E4C14F79B74E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rockweiler

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few comments and observations on this rack set-up (will comeback and update regularly as I use it):

I ordered it sight-unseen so there is some little disappointments. The main thing is the load rating drop when paired to the Ford/Retrax cover. Also I was under the impression that the “adjustable” version of this rack started a few inches lower than the cab (about mid rear-window) - a height appropriate to hide a portion of a rooftop tent or when carrying spare tire(s) - and then could be extended a little above the cab for when I needed to carry a kayak or SUP board. That is obviously not the case. The lower setting is right at cab height, not the “look” I was going for! But look is secondary, right? Haha

Build quality seems very high: really nice overall finish, solid looking welds, not so cheap looking adjustment tools. Somewhat easy to reposition on the bed if needed, especially since it’s linked together with side bars and the tray.

Happy I went with the Rhino-Rack tray instead of the Yakima “basket”. I see it as much more versatile. For one thing I won’t need to take it off to install kayak or SUP brackets the way I would’ve needed to with a “basket”. It also gives me much more positioning/attachments options since it’s the equivalent of having 7 roofrack crossbars, all with their own t-slots.
There is also the option of ordering “legs” for the tray and putting it on top of the cab. Something I’m seriously considering if I can get a decent “screw-in” option instead of clamps. If I’m not mistaken the ROW Rangers have pre-drilled rooftop hardware under the weather strip for such a set-up because you can order roof-rails on certain models.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Any chance you can investigate the roof rail area and see if there are any mounting holes? Would be really nice if they did.

OP
OP
Rockweiler

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any chance you can investigate the roof rail area and see if there are any mounting holes? Would be really nice if they did.
On it!

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
This is the reason I went with a lower rack. I wanted the top of my rooftop tent to be roughly level with the cab as not to kill my mileage on long overlanding trips. Looks good though. Weight rating is indeed disappointing and just wouldn’t work for my family.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Ok so lets get this out of the way right now: it’s not pretty by any measure!
But hopefully it’ll do the jobs I ask of it. Talking about the rack of course!
D644E6EC-57CA-49FB-BB2E-2E4AE2F136E9.jpeg
71DA7D3B-9152-492E-8189-DAD853814BCE.jpeg
B4C250D7-CDF0-4508-B24A-932B5EC786AF.jpeg
071DE3DC-1F18-4735-BCF9-E4C14F79B74E.jpeg
How long did it take for your Yakima rack to arrive after you ordered it? I have had it on order with my dealer for over three weeks and it still hasn't showed up.
Sponsored