The smart headlights that could make night-driving MUCH easier: Ford is testing technology that projects directions, speed limits and weather informat

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
With an estimated 40 per cent of all collisions occurring in the hours of darkness, it's no surprise that many drivers are nervous about getting in the car at night.

But Ford's latest innovation could make hitting the road when it's dark much easier.

The car giant is testing smart headlights that project directions, speed limits, and weather information onto the road in front of you.

For example, if the road ahead was icy, the car would project a snowflake icon on the road, while if the speed limit changed, the new limit would be shone on the ground.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/registration/profile.html
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Modern technology is an amazing thing brother Rick. It's left me behind for sure, but it's still amazing. I remember when they started putting the high beam switch on the steering column. I kept getting my left foot hung up in the steering wheel until I figured that out. Now, oh my......................................:facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
All the electronics is really cool but, I just wish they could build what they promised now with a reasonable delivery schedule and refrain from ever again saying supply chain is down and we canā€™t deliver because we donā€™t have the high tech parts needed. The more stuff you add on the higher the potential for delays!

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
All the electronics is really cool but, I just wish they could build what they promised now with a reasonable delivery schedule and refrain from ever again saying supply chain is down and we canā€™t deliver because we donā€™t have the high tech parts needed. The more stuff you add on the higher the potential for delays!
I frankly am a little amazed all the electronics are so reliable (all very low voltage and sensitive to higher voltage spikes stuff). When they started really stacking even lower option level vehicles with all the intelligence I thought for sure they would always be in the shop.

But of course, nobody saw our reliance on China coming... ;)

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Love the LED headlights in my wife's Subaru. They follow the steering and it makes driving with old eyes easier at night.
If I recall correctly, I think the Tucker had a light(s) that did that, although it has been a long time (since I saw one in the Harrahā€™s car museum ;))

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
This.

Focus on making vehicles now.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Love the LED headlights in my wife's Subaru. They follow the steering and it makes driving with old eyes easier at night.
Subaru calls them steering responsive headlights and they do actually help.
Did all the Tucker headlights turn or just the center one? I think it was called the cyclops eye in the center.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I think all BMWā€™s headlights follow the steering - at least as far back as a 2009 that I owned. Also, my 2017 X5, as well as my current BMW tells me when the temp drops below 37 outside and the current speed limit is always displayed in the dash even if Iā€™m not using navigation. So, this is not much of an advance except for the gimmicky headlight thing.

Last edited:

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
Ohhhh maybe they could also project Mario on the road in front so the driver can chase him, or the PokĆ©mon Go characters to collect!!! Even betterā€”- include the latest Gran Turismo cars so you can race to your destinationā€¦ ohhhh the joy!

4D727E8C-F644-4EBC-BDBF-D1B896F497E7.jpeg

Drivers are more distracted than ever and they want to offer more for their brains to processā€¦ let the games begin! ?

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ohhhh maybe they could also project Mario on the road in front so the driver can chase him, or the PokĆ©mon Go characters to collect!!! Even betterā€”- include the latest Gran Turismo cars so you can race to your destinationā€¦ ohhhh the joy!

4D727E8C-F644-4EBC-BDBF-D1B896F497E7.jpeg

Drivers are more distracted than ever and they want to offer more for their brains to processā€¦ let the games begin! ?

And the car behind you can project a turtle shell.

Real life Mario Kart fun. ?

Mario_Kart_Blue_Shell.png
Sponsored