First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger XLT/‘03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
I'm trying to figure out why the salesperson told you no way. Were you doing something obscene, like 30K miles per year or something?
About 30k yes...bought mid November and I am just below 15k right now.
Sponsored

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
You're saving money monthly (which is fine I'm not hating), but it's all going to Ford's pocket. Not only are you putting money into something that you do not own, but you're also paying interest on that. I got my truck with 72 months 0% interest and even though it may be more per month than what you are paying, all of that money is going to the principal of the truck (plus I can sell it). Not saying leasing is bad, if it works for you thats good, but I think It's silly to mislead people. It's definitely not apples to apples.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
You're saving money monthly (which is fine I'm not hating), but it's all going to Ford's pocket. Not only are you putting money into something that you do not own, but you're also paying interest on that. I got my truck with 72 months 0% interest and even though it may be more per month than what you are paying, all of that money is going to the principal of the truck (plus I can sell it). Not saying leasing is bad, if it works for you thats good, but I think It's silly to mislead people. It's definitely not apples to apples.
OK, for the SECOND TIME: This thread is NOT about me saying "Leasing is better"; this thread is about me showing what that actual discount was from MSRP to get the lease number to be what it is. People on this forum are absolutely fearful that they "didn't get the best deal", etc. I'm simply showing what the deal was on my vehicle to try to be helpful in that regard.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
your inability to keep the math the same, and/or your ability to exaggerate really makes me not want to believe anything you say or give you any kudos for making the effort to post this.
since you seem so chipper though, and matter of fact in your findings, i guess it wont matter one way or another what I think.You'll come back with a snarky comment that I'll ignore and we both move on.
I have leased many vehicles, i had my reasons at the time, but i never put that much though into it. "whats it the cost to buy VS lease mr salesman?"
"OK, i choose this..."
But I made my point and shall move on.
What the fuck, this forum is just so useless at times. You try to post things as helpful, you get chastised. You get told you don't know what you're talking about. Whatever. Seriously, there are just too many people whose entire life always to be to be on here and start arguments with people and one would be you.

I'll not bother any more.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
What the fuck, this forum is just so useless at times. You try to post things as helpful, you get chastised. You get told you don't know what you're talking about. Whatever. Seriously, there are just too many people whose entire life always to be to sure on here and stay arguments with people and one would be you.

I'll not bother any more.
No, I understand what you were going for and I appreciate the advice if I ever do decide to lease a vehicle. Im happy for you that you got a deal that you're happy with and I am jealous that you get a brand new tremor and get to get rid of it to get the new 6G ranger when it comes out. However, I just think the way you worded it was a bit weird. You can't compare a lease to the msrp of the truck and then compare the monthly payments to someone who has bought the truck.
1) The large majority of people buy their vehicles under msrp.
2) You are paying interest and money into a truck that is not yours (its the same reason why buying a house would be more beneficial financially than renting the same house even if the monthly payments were lower). Its just not really a comparison that you can make logically. That being said, I hope you enjoy your Tremor and have fun with it!

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
I feel your understanding of how to compare prices is a little lacking.

For a true comparison you must include purchasing @ residual at the end if the lease. As it's the only way to make an apples to apples comparison.

Otherwise you're comparing a long term rental, which works for some, to a purchase and it's apples to oranges.
Right you are

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
And you don't need to.

Leasing is a viable option that works for many people.

However,just saying I'm saving "this much per month by leasing" is overly simplistic.
And isn't necessarily accurate.

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
In a lease Ford is essentially renting you a car at a certain rate and then they take it back in at a price that they again think they can make $ at. Leasing works for some but is not saving anyone $. You lease because you want to more easily walk away after a certain period in time, but there is almost no monetary incentive to do this and often the contrary. Just because your payment is less than if you bought a vehicle over time does not mean you're saving $ or getting a better deal for the period than if you purchased it.

Also if you purchase a vehicle at the right price, maintain and take care of your vehicle, and limit how many miles u put on it almost like you have to in a lease, you will often have a pretty good down pmt toward the next purchase in your positive equity in your trade.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Leasing generally gives you a lower payment for a short period of time. My buddy pays $1300 a month on a BMW M550i after dropping 5K down...buying that car would have been over 2 grand for 5 years. This lets you drive a nicer car an never have to bother with maint costs but you will always have payments.

My daughter doesn't every want to deal with an issue with a car so she leases every time (plus she enjoys getting a new car frequently) so leasing works for her....my oldest son hates payments so he buys 2 year old lease returns with around 20K on them for about 60% of the cost it was new an he pays cash. Now that my daughter has a husband to deal with car problems an she realizes she will always have a payment she's starting to rethink it....but I think her desire for higher trim cars an getting new ones frequently I don't know if she'll change.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Thanks for posting this @TimmyB it is a decent comparison for me to see what real life numbers are compared to what is advertised on the Ford site.

FWIW, I leased a 2020 Tacoma Limited about 18 months ago for 27 months. The reason I leased was due to me changing to mid-size after driving full size for 20 years. The family grew and I just didn't need full size anymore but I was hesitant and worried I would regret going mid-size and lose my butt swapping out a poor decision. Fast forward, I'll never go back to full size, the mid-size does everything I need and getting around town, parking lots, etc. is just too easy and actually fun compared to full size.

As a comparison, I leased my 2020 Tacoma Limited for 27 months. MSRP was $3k less than your MSRP. $0 down, a true sign and drive, $358 per month all in (including Pa State 9% lease tax and other fees). 1k miles per month, 27k miles total. 24 months of maintenance included.

Tacoma's residual hovers around 78% which is significant when leasing. If I decide to go back to Tacoma, I am unsure if I'll buy or lease again but if I go with Ranger, I am 99% sure it will be a buy unless a ridiculous lease offer is thrown on the table. I am not attached to one method over the other at this point, a vehicle is a depreciating asset regardless of purchase method, there is no winning this game, there is only reducing loss to a level you are comfortable with.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Thanks for posting this @TimmyB it is a decent comparison for me to see what real life numbers are compared to what is advertised on the Ford site.

FWIW, I leased a 2020 Tacoma Limited about 18 months ago for 27 months. The reason I leased was due to me changing to mid-size after driving full size for 20 years. The family grew and I just didn't need full size anymore but I was hesitant and worried I would regret going mid-size and lose my butt swapping out a poor decision. Fast forward, I'll never go back to full size, the mid-size does everything I need and getting around town, parking lots, etc. is just too easy and actually fun compared to full size.

As a comparison, I leased my 2020 Tacoma Limited for 27 months. MSRP was $3k less than your MSRP. $0 down, a true sign and drive, $358 per month all in (including Pa State 9% lease tax and other fees). 1k miles per month, 27k miles total. 24 months of maintenance included.

Tacoma's residual hovers around 78% which is significant when leasing. If I decide to go back to Tacoma, I am unsure if I'll buy or lease again but if I go with Ranger, I am 99% sure it will be a buy unless a ridiculous lease offer is thrown on the table. I am not attached to one method over the other at this point, a vehicle is a depreciating asset regardless of purchase method, there is no winning this game, there is only reducing loss to a level you are comfortable with.
Staying in the OP topic lane and setting aside the lease vs buy debate...

This was an example of a good deal, 102 per month less than Tremor AND included a service plan. Why? Higher residual value and paid 3k less on front end. This is a true apples to apples comparison. Over 36 months 3,672 in savings if lining up terms.

Since leasing is rent, might as well pay as little as possible if nothing to show for it at the end. There is a cross over point that you correctly identified when a purchase pencils more.

Last edited:

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Half the folks in this thread are like "If it's not the best possible economic decision then how dare you tell us about it."

Building a bit of equity in a depreciating asset is inconsequential for a lot of people... Sometimes it's not necessary to make ALL life decisions based on bottom line.

Thanks for sharing the lease details.
Sponsored

Last edited: