The Lease Numbers on My New Tremor

pozi240

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco WildTrak (on order), 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Military (Ret'd)
Hahahaha. The Ranger5g forum never fails to entertain, it's like Romper Room in here. The OP literally said in his very first post he didn't want this thread to turn into a "leasing vs. buying" discussion, and like true Ranger5g fashion, the typical forum trolls jumped on the chance and patted themselves on the back for it. BZ boys. Carry on. Sometimes it's better than a sitcom in here.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The thought of having a car payment for the rest of my life makes me sick at my stomach.
I hear what you're saying but IF you can afford it it's not a bad way to have a brand new vehicle and never have top worry about maintenance. My gf leases her Honda Civic and for $2000 down and payments of $145/month is perfect for her. The roads in Chicago are worse than some off road trails I go one. lol She can trade it in every 3 years without worrying that in 4-5 years her front end will need replacing. When the lease is over she walks in and does the same deal over again or she can walk away without having to worry about selling or trading it in. It doesn't work for everyone but in some cases it's a good way to drive a new vehicle for little money out of pocket every month.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
So at 65% residual they say the truck is worth $30k after three years. With a lease at three years you walk away with nothing, if you financed the truck with your numbers you would have paid $22k over three years, leaving you with a truck worth $30k that you owe $15k on.

I don't buy that residual value TBH, but if they lock you in at that value you should be all set. If you take 65% of $36k, which seems to be the price you'd pay, you still come out at $23k, putting you $8k ahead, minus your payment difference, so what's that, $2k?

Leasing might work for some people, but I'm not sure it would work for me. Best of luck.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
A wealthy man once told me that there are only three things that you’re better off renting, and that’s boats, planes and women.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The thought of having a car payment for the rest of my life makes me sick at my stomach.
Agreed completely. I enjoy my periods of no car payments. And they make me thoroughly research new purchases because I'm hesitant to get back into one.
Hahahaha. The Ranger5g forum never fails to entertain, it's like Romper Room in here. The OP literally said in his very first post he didn't want this thread to turn into a "leasing vs. buying" discussion, and like true Ranger5g fashion, the typical forum trolls jumped on the chance and patted themselves on the back for it. BZ boys. Carry on. Sometimes it's better than a sitcom in here.
OP literally said, "I don't want this to be a debate, but leasing is saving me money."

If you don't want your stupid thread to become a debate, don't start it of with some outlandish claim that is absurdly false.

You can't have it both ways.

And you can't always get what you want. But, if you try sometimes...

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Agreed completely. I enjoy my periods of no car payments. And they make me thoroughly research new purchases because I'm hesitant to get back into one.

OP literally said, "I don't want this to be a debate, but leasing is saving me money."

If you don't want your stupid thread to become a debate, don't start it of with some outlandish claim that is absurdly false.

You can't have it both ways.

And you can't always get what you want. But, if you try sometimes...
It's saving OP money in the same way that a poor person buys a stick of deodorant for $3 instead of a two pack for $5. In their mind they spent $2 less, and that's usually because they don't have $5 to spend at that point.

On the other hand, if OP can invest that savings each month they may be able to turn it into more than the real cost of the lease. Also, where I live (near Boston) almost every vehicles I've owned has been in some sort of accident since I moved here. I wonder if a lease would be better, I don't have to worry about the carfax at the end when I try to sell/trade it in. My issue with a lease is I put a lot of miles on my vehicles, even with Covid I still put 12k on the Ranger last year.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It's saving OP money in the same way that a poor person buys a stick of deodorant for $3 instead of a two pack for $5. In their mind they spent $2 less, and that's usually because they don't have $5 to spend at that point.
For sure.

In college, shocking I know, I had a roommate that blew my mind.

He was short on funds often, but during one stretch of being "broke" I noticed he'd come home with a couple of double dueces and a pack of smokes every night.

Turned out he was writing a daily hot check for 2 22oz beers and a pack of smokes at the liquor store.

He didn't understand me when I replied "Why didn't you just write one hot check for a few cases and cartons if you need it that bad?"
it doesnt matter anyways....forums will always be forums and you cant control what anyone will say, regardless of whether you started it or not.
anyone who starts a thread has to expect it to go off the rails at some point

they always end up as damper debates. some on post #2. ?

As per expected forum etiquette, the OP can always cry foul, grab his toys and leave the sandbox rather than stay part of the "debate" they started , but when you know you're losing, it makes it easier to decide to go in a tantrum. Would much rather see people stay though.

I may not always be right or on point with my forum battles, but in the end when you learn something then it all becomes worthwhile.
Absolutely.

Which is why I like you.

Sometimes.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
The OP is long gone. This is the reason why we don't have nice threads.