The importance of quality wheels and tires

Eoj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 lariat fx4
I don’t care if you have a $5 wheel from a third world country or a million dollar wheel from the best manufacturer. Don’t drive on them after a blow out or they’ll both look the same

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I've rocked no name chinese tires before no issue. Mainly Linglong, their quality standards are pretty high.

Looks more like abuse than "cheap ChiNa quality"

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah I'm just going to stick with the stock wheels and Michelins once these Bridgestone Duelers die before they even hit 30K.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I cheaped out once years ago with Chinese tires. Shop could not get them to balance or ride straight.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
It’s probably hard to find aftermarket wheels that aren’t made in China. Heck, even Cragar and Mickey Thompson are made in China now.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I'm with @Fawnbuster it looks to me like a driver side impact that took out both tires, then they kept driving and destroyed them.
I don’t care if you have a $5 wheel from a third world country or a million dollar wheel from the best manufacturer. Don’t drive on them after a blow out or they’ll both look the same
You are not going to stop quickly if you are driving down the road at 70 when you blow out two wheels. No way any alloy wheel will survive.

Then there is this guy Hitting A Pothole In A Tesla Cost $2600 - YouTube . Blew two wheels on his Tesla.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
You are not going to stop quickly if you are driving down the road at 70 when you blow out two wheels. No way any alloy wheel will survive.

Then there is this guy Hitting A Pothole In A Tesla Cost $2600 - YouTube . Blew two wheels on his Tesla.
Agreed, but also probably not stripping a tire clean off the rim, nor cutting through both side walls in that distance either. That kind of damage comes from driving a few miles after they are blown out, even at low speed.

There are lots of Police chase videos available showing tire damage and vehicles keep driving, the tire doesn't disintegrate in a few hundred feet.
Sponsored