First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
For starters I will not argue that this could happen with any wheel and tire combination.

While I was working and made a stop for Lunch I noticed a GMC Truck with damaged wheels and tires. Not sure how it happened exactly but I suspect it mainly had something to do with the tires on the vehicle. Yes they are a mud terrain of sorts, but they were some no name tire Wich simply tells me they were cheap. The wheels are the lovely over priced XD Chinese built wheels. A quality wheel(even a Aluminum wheel) wouldn't disintegrate that easily.

Moral of the story? Don't skimp out on tires and avoid the Chinese wheels. Regardless of where you are a failure like this sucks

IMG_20230607_113705622_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230607_113715033_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Wow, how many of the 4 were damaged?

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wow, how many of the 4 were damaged?
Only the 2 on the driver's side not sure if it was a combination of a tire blow out with hitting something or not.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Looks like some of the rubber bands with tread that are out now.

One good pot hole and they could blow and damage the wheel.

The front wheel has a nice chunk knocked out of it that makes me think this could be the cause.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks like some of the rubber bands with tread that are out now.

One good pot hole and they could blow and damage the wheel.
You're not wrong. 33-in tires with 22-in wheels

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
For starters I will not argue that this could happen with any wheel and tire combination.

While I was working and made a stop for Lunch I noticed a GMC Truck with damaged wheels and tires. Not sure how it happened exactly but I suspect it mainly had something to do with the tires on the vehicle. Yes they are a mud terrain of sorts, but they were some no name tire Wich simply tells me they were cheap. The wheels are the lovely over priced XD Chinese built wheels. A quality wheel(even a Aluminum wheel) wouldn't disintegrate that easily.

Moral of the story? Don't skimp out on tires and avoid the Chinese wheels. Regardless of where you are a failure like this sucks

IMG_20230607_113705622_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230607_113715033_HDR.jpg
thats an ouch! but what do you expect from what looks to be a lowpro lol

ive seen a lot of tire brands but i cant even tell what that is!

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
thats an ouch! but what do you expect from what looks to be a lowpro lol

ive seen a lot of tire brands but i cant even tell what that is!
As mentioned I couldn't even find a brand name on there.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Only the 2 on the driver's side not sure if it was a combination of a tire blow out with hitting something or not.
Being a crash investigator and Evo instructor for a long while that appears that they struck something at a decent speed, look at the bent up and in damage behind the rear wheel (one with tire) could've been debris, chuck hole, driver error etc. I've worked alot of crashes and that kind of damage always came from some kind of impact while the tire was up. Look at the scrape marks on the pavement in front of the front wheel.

Frenchy you are correct on wheels and tire quality, but most aftermarket and probably some oem are made in China, you just have to do your research on the company and there manufacturers standards, don't buy 3rd rate off brands for sure.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Being a crash investigator and Evo instructor for a long while that appears that they struck something at a decent speed, look at the bent up and in damage behind the rear wheel (one with tire) could've been debris, chuck hole, driver error etc. I've worked alot of crashes and that kind of damage always came from some kind of impact while the tire was up. Look at the scrape marks on the pavement in front of the front wheel.

Frenchy you are correct on wheels and tire quality, but most aftermarket and probably some oem are made in China, you just have to do your research on the company and there manufacturers standards, don't buy 3rd rate off brands for sure.
The bent in the rear I can see to an extent. I will also note that I have seen stuff on newer vehicles bend stuff in that area and sometimes have it worse when a tire comes apart. As for the scrape mars up front. I almost wonder if it was driven to this spot. This was at an Arby's Parking lot

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct on both counts. Wheel marks rolling are more even, when the wheel of locked and sliding under power they leave a deeper v or u shaped trough, like from a v shaped carving chisel. I can say from 1st hand experience , trying to stop a drunk/stoned driver tooling down the highway on wheels with no tires is a site to see at night!