MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I have decided that I am going to trade in the Ranger Tremor and get back into a Jeep Gladiator. I want to thank all of you for your kindness and helpful information that I have received from the forum. And a big thank you to our moderator Dave as he is one of the nicest guys I have ever dealt with!!! Flame suit on so go ahead and tell me I am nuts! Maybe I am :crazy:

New Gladiator I am getting.

1679587771622.png
You either feel it, or you don't... Happy trails, buddy!
Sponsored

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Here is my reply to another member over at the Jeep Gladiator forum, when he asked me to compare the 2 trucks. Thought you might find this interesting:

Both are great vehicles! The Ranger has more power with the 2.3 liter inline 4 turbo. The Ranger gets a little better gas mileage as well. I could get about 22 to 23 MPG driving easy on the highway with the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon I had before. Not sure of the Gladiator Sport with the less aggressive tires. I can get up to 25 to 26 MPG driving easy on the highway with the Ranger Tremor.
You actually get a lot with the Tremor for the price. However, Jeeps will hold their value over time better. I like the idea of customizing or adding accessories and it is endless with Jeep vehicles. They both ride pretty good too. Being reliable, both have had pretty good track record. However, the Rangers seem to have some issues, for some, with the transmission when you get close to 80 to 90 thousand miles. And there has been some issues with the vent controls in the heater/ac units. Jeeps seem to sometimes have issues with axle seals. Again, overall, both vehicles are reliable in MHO. I think that the Jeeps might be a little bit stronger for off road use. However, I normally do not venture off road and if I do it would be easy trails. The Ranger will tow about the same as a Jeep with Max Tow, however I only tow a small, enclosed motorcycle trailer or an open landscape trailer, so towing ability will be fine for me!
Thanks for the kind words about my dog. Both surgery's, were pretty expensive. However, she is part of the family, and we love the little furry critter! And, she is doing much better now!!!

Edit: I forgot to mention the option of taking off the freedom panels or top completely off and the doors off on the Jeep. With the Ranger, that is not an option
Really nice write up and I didn't know some of those things about the jeep. I gotta say, I loved my FJ40 in the summer on the Texas Gulf Coast with the top off, doors off, and windshield down.

Made it feel so free and maybe a little like one of my fave kid shows and this will be you now!

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
Really nice write up and I didn't know some of those things about the jeep. I gotta say, I loved my FJ40 in the summer on the Texas Gulf Coast with the top off, doors off, and windshield down.

Made it feel so free and maybe a little like one of my fave kid shows and this will be you now!

Hey David! How did you know one of my first options would be a little theft deterrent??? And they video shows how I drive too...LOL!!!

1679661742328.png

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Well, I have decided that I am going to trade in the Ranger Tremor and get back into a Jeep Gladiator. I want to thank all of you for your kindness and helpful information that I have received from the forum. And a big thank you to our moderator Dave as he is one of the nicest guys I have ever dealt with!!! Flame suit on so go ahead and tell me I am nuts! Maybe I am :crazy:

New Gladiator I am getting.

1679587771622.png
Congratulations. Hope it suits you well. Which engine does it have?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dennis,
The Gladiator has the freedom panels that can be removed in the summer for a convertible like open air experience. Plus, I like the endless availability of options. And the posts of late here about the transmission issues and the heat/AC vent failures, kind of have me a bit concerned. I like both vehicles, however I think the Gladiator will be fun making it my own!
No. No. Just No. You can save all that bs for your wife. This is Us you are talking to. You don't have to make up stuff, or excuses, to justify a purchase. Just own it.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
No. No. Just No. You can save all that bs for your wife. This is Us you are talking to. You don't have to make up stuff, or excuses, to justify a purchase. Just own it.
Not making up any BS justifications, Adam.
Have a good day :like:

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I had a Jeep Liberty and it was the biggest money pit I have ever owned. $1,800 to replace a $49 oxygen sensor. The entire exhaust had to be dropped along with parts of the frame that took 8 bolts that cost $5.00 each. The bolts had to be burned out. A water leak from the sun roof and other issues under warrenty

Then comes my Dodge Dakota, trans issues that would require an overhaul at 50,000 miles. I won't mention my Cordoba with trans issues that required and overhaul at 27,000 miles and another trans issue at 50,000 miles. I was a Chrysler products guy until the Dakota and Jeep.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
I had a Jeep Liberty and it was the biggest money pit I have ever owned. $1,800 to replace a $49 oxygen sensor. The entire exhaust had to be dropped along with parts of the frame that took 8 bolts that cost $5.00 each. The bolts had to be burned out. A water leak from the sun roof and other issues under warrenty

Then comes my Dodge Dakota, trans issues that would require an overhaul at 50,000 miles. I won't mention my Cordoba with trans issues that required and overhaul at 27,000 miles and another trans issue at 50,000 miles. I was a Chrysler products guy until the Dakota and Jeep.
Ouch. Sorry you had problems with the Liberty & Dakota, George. What year were these vehicles?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Attempting to make-out like a Glad will be more reliable than a Ranger is BS, sorry. "I can feel my 10 speed shift!" is not a "problem." Plus, you know dang well the heater box thing was 2019 and a few 20s and most have been fixed. Come on man, just own it..

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It's a Jeep thing ?

I've had multiple Jeeps and I've loved them all, despite their "personality" quirks.

I currently have an old 2000 Wrangler and it's my favorite so far, though I did REALLY like my 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland.

I will say that after my experience with my brand new 2017 Wrangler that I didn't even consider another new Jeep.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Ouch. Sorry you had problems with the Liberty & Dakota, George. What year were these vehicles?
Dakota was 2003, Cordoba 1980, Liberty was 2004. All 3 were purchased new.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
Attempting to make-out like a Glad will be more reliable than a Ranger is BS, sorry. "I can feel my 10 speed shift!" is not a "problem." Plus, you know dang well the heater box thing was 2019 and a few 20s and most have been fixed. Come on man, just own it..
Never implied that. I think overall, the Rangers are great vehicles. I have had Jeeps in the past and had an issue with a 2002 Liberty and associated leaks I did not pay extra for....LOL! Or the 2010 Wrangler that I had that couldn't get out of it's own way. It was a dog and was rusted underneath when I bought it brand new. So, if you think I am putting down Rangers or Ford products in general, we would not have bought our new Bronco Sport in the garage. I have never had a perfect vehicle however, from any manufacture. My 2005 F150 had knocking issues with cam phasers (I think that is what they called them). My 2018 F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost had a bad short block. Again, none are perfect. Enjoy your Ranger and I hopefully will enjoy my new Gladiator when I take delivery of it next week.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
Dakota was 2003, Cordoba 1980, Liberty was 2004. All 3 were purchased new.
Thanks George. I think the quality of the newer vehicles has improved. As I mentioned to Adam, I have had issues with other vehicles I have had as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have good luck with the new Gladiator. No problems at all ever with the Ranger Tremor I am trading in!

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I won't lie, I was hoping that the new Gladiator was going to be more like the original Gladiators when I first heard about them.

But it makes sense to use the Wrangle as a starting point for the Gladiator from a manufacturing stand point.
Sponsored