First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Engineer
As a member of this forum and the Gladiator one its always interesting to see the comments from the loyalists when someone switches brands. I personally don't get those feelings so I don't know where it is all derived from (I suppose bad experience in one brand vs. another is how it may manifest). Before getting my Gladiator, I had never owned a Jeep or a Ford before, so I test drove those two along with a Colorado (which was too similar feeling to my outgoing vehicle). No need to thread hijack with my specifics, but I understand someone's ability to switch from one of these to another. They really do feel different, so it just comes down to one's interests at the current time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
As a member of this forum and the Gladiator one its always interesting to see the comments from the loyalists when someone switches brands. I personally don't get those feelings so I don't know where it is all derived from (I suppose bad experience in one brand vs. another is how it may manifest). Before getting my Gladiator, I had never owned a Jeep or a Ford before, so I test drove those two along with a Colorado (which was too similar feeling to my outgoing vehicle). No need to thread hijack with my specifics, but I understand someone's ability to switch from one of these to another. They really do feel different, so it just comes down to one's interests at the current time.
Thanks Jeff!

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I've been happy with mine. Also got a pretty bare bones sport s. I'd consider any brands truck but I'll have this thing another 9 years at least.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
I've been happy with mine. Also got a pretty bare bones sport s. I'd consider any brands truck but I'll have this thing another 9 years at least.
Looks good Josh! Do you have Rubicon wheels & tires on it? Any lift or level? Thanks1

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Gladiators look dorky.

That is all...

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
A day like today is a good reason for a Jeep.

Not off topic because it has Gladiator wheels on it ?

IMG_2246.jpeg

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
@Phil_R Thanks! Yes, rubi takeoffs so the OE 33s. They're cheap and you regain your dignity after dumping the stockers lol.

No lift yet. My wife has placed me on spending detention until after I finish my undergrad, but I have my frankenlift parts list in a spreadsheet ready to go.

Edit: and FWIW, and I quote myself, midsize truck buyers are the most cross-shoppingest SOBs there are. I'm on two Brand truck forums and there are many threads on other midsize trucks on both. The brand loyalism is seemingly par for the course however. I come from a few BMWs and you know how those guys are.. ?

Last edited:

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ah come on Mark... No love at all??? LOL!!!
I'm usually very understanding of vehicle looks...and I've tried to like them because, hey, it's a truck! But they're just too boxy and dorky looking.
Entirely my opinion of course.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
I'm usually very understanding of vehicle looks...and I've tried to like them because, hey, it's a truck! But they're just too boxy and dorky looking.
Entirely my opinion of course.

No problem :like:
We all have our opinions on vehicles. I always thought they were kind of like a brick.... with wheels and a bed! But I still like them! The Rangers are awesome looking and a streamline looking mid sized pickup, IMHO. No matter what I drive, I still think the Rangers are cool. :sunglasses:
Cute video too, I think :LOL:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm a Ford loyalist...most of my vehicles have been Fords. I only had one bad one, a 2002 Taurus that had 2 or 3 trips to the dealership an the interior didn't stand up well to twin 6 year olds.

Bud I always say buy what you like, it's your money. Personally I'd never buy a Toyoda or GM so the Gladiator would be my only other option. I thought they were overpriced but I bought my ranger when they were new to the market. I had a 90's wrangler. It rusted out but the power train was bullet proof other that the vacuum lock front axle. If got went big on tires the rear end would break.

I've know people with the smaller suv jeeps that had lots of problems.

I don't care for the removable top. I love my a/c an I also have a Harley for that open air stuff. My poor bald head burns. I even had to start wearing a helmet! (joking kinda)

Cg32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Sales Leadership
I came from a gladiator to the ranger, and it was a tough decision. I loved my gladiator but any drives over 2-3 hours became tedious and fatiguing, much less the occasional 14 hour drive from Texas to Illinois. If I could have two trucks, I would have never even considered selling my gladiator. I loved it!
F7598279-E92F-4EF6-9348-37785E64D853.jpeg

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
I'm a Ford loyalist...most of my vehicles have been Fords. I only had one bad one, a 2002 Taurus that had 2 or 3 trips to the dealership an the interior didn't stand up well to twin 6 year olds.

Bud I always say buy what you like, it's your money. Personally I'd never buy a Toyoda or GM so the Gladiator would be my only other option. I thought they were overpriced but I bought my ranger when they were new to the market. I had a 90's wrangler. It rusted out but the power train was bullet proof other that the vacuum lock front axle. If got went big on tires the rear end would break.

I've know people with the smaller suv jeeps that had lots of problems.

I don't care for the removable top. I love my a/c an I also have a Harley for that open air stuff. My poor bald head burns. I even had to start wearing a helmet! (joking kinda)
Understand. My daughter & son in law had a new Jeep Compass that was not reliable. I have had some other friends that have had good luck with Jeep vehicles. I guess that it is the luck of the draw!
You ride one of them Harley's, Langley? Talk about a motorcycle that breaks down??? Sheesh! You need to ride a reliable Honda like mine below :LOL:

IMG_1945.jpg

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
I came from a gladiator to the ranger, and it was a tough decision. I loved my gladiator but any drives over 2-3 hours became tedious and fatiguing, much less the occasional 14 hour drive from Texas to Illinois. If I could have two trucks, I would have never even considered selling my gladiator. I loved it!
F7598279-E92F-4EF6-9348-37785E64D853.jpeg
Looking Good, Chris!!! :like:

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Edit: and FWIW, and I quote myself, midsize truck buyers are the most cross-shoppingest SOBs there are. I'm on two Brand truck forums and there are many threads on other midsize trucks on both. The brand loyalism is seemingly par for the course however. I come from a few BMWs and you know how those guys are.. ?

I am not all that impressed with BMW's, Mercedes, or Audi's after being stationed in Germany for three years. I was there between Jan 92 to Dec 94. One would see jalopy Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes rolling down the autobahn all of the time. Some looked and sounded like they should have been in the junkyard instead of on the autobahn. They are no different than Ford Chevy or Chrysler are here in the US.

My first car I bought when I got to Germany was an old worn-out 1972 BMW. It was no better than most of the American cars of that age. The Germans loved old American muscle cars at that time.

I know I looked hard at all of the midsize trucks before buying my Ranger. I am not a fan of GM products after having a lemon 2001 Cavalier that had to have the transmission worked on 3 times under the factory warranty. Plus the whole issue with the ignitions on later cars which my son's 2008 Cobalt was part of.

I also did not like the fact that I had to spend extra to get a V6 in order to have the towing capacity with the GM and Toyota trucks.

When it comes to the different Jeep models, I guess I have always been lucky as has been my family members. We have owned or still own CJ's, Cherokee Sports, 2014+ Cherokees, 2017+ Compass's, Liberty's, and Renegade's. They have all been very dependable. The Cherokee Sports and Liberty's were all very high mileage vehicles. Now two models I will not touch are the Patriots and the first model of Compass. Those were dogs due to the 6 speed automatic transmission.

When not driving Jeep products, I mostly drove Ford trucks form old jalopy F150 farm trucks to the first and third gen Rangers. My 97 F150 extended cab long bed 4x4 was also very dependable but was severely underpowered with its 4.6L V8. It had around 220,000 miles on it when I traded it in for a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited. The Liberty had 250,000 miles on it when my son wrecked it. Both vehicles would have easily went 300,000 miles or more.
Sponsored